RarePlane 1/72nd Seversky Vacuform kit converted to racer

Looking rather swish if I may say so.

I haven't been altogether happy with my metal finishes and would like to know, what metallic paints have you used here and more importantly, can you remember, what metallic paints you used on your Heston? Any further tips you can add on those paints would also be useful?

Stuart

P.s. I take it that the same metallic was used on the wing, the differences are purely down to a white or black base? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking rather swish if I may say so.

I haven't been altogether happy with my metal finishes and would like to know, what metallic paints have you used here and more importantly, can you remember, what metallic paints you used on your Heston? Any further tips you can add on those paints would also be useful?

Stuart

P.s. I take it that the same metallic was used on the wing, the differences are purely down to a white or black base? 

Hi Stuart

Coats as follows: Alclad grey primer, Humbrol Gloss Black enamel, Alclad II Polished Aluminium, Alclad II Aluminium.

Ailerons (not the whole wing), elevators and rudder painted Humbrol Gloss White enamel instead of black. Alclad Aqua Gloss final coat.

Frankly, I don't remember what I used on the Heston, but most likely the same or similar. The final coat on the Heston was acrylic floor polish (as per my custom then and until two model ago).

Airbrush at low pressure (abut 12 psi) with a medium coverage nozzle. The enamel is diluted maybe half and half with lacquer thinner (I never measure anything).

It's a matter or luck and practice, more than anything else, I believe.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1