"Picchiatello", the Italian Stuka - Ju 87 B-2

I thought for one moment here that you'd begun making a series of small aircraft maintenance dioramas as mini RFIs along the way! 😁

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Along with a few other bits

priming2

The aircraft's looking splendid under primer already Giorgio - how does the Vallejo primer perform on the aluminium foil btw?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Massimo said:

She looks great and she's ready for paint!

You  dida fantastic job on those fairings!!

Aluminium tape does the trick.

Well done Giorgio!!!

Let's wait for colour now!!!!

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup: There's going to be some pre-shading before actual paint, though :winkgrin:

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Nice legs Giorgio.

Those wheels look a lot better now. They looked as if they had a flat before.

Thanks Alan, glad you approve of :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Very clever solution for the gear leg fairings Giorgio!

Cheers Cookie, thank you! :thumbsup: I'm pretty happy with them too

2 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I thought for one moment here that you'd begun making a series of small aircraft maintenance dioramas as mini RFIs along the way! 😁

Not a bad idea, actually :D 

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The aircraft's looking splendid under primer already Giorgio - how does the Vallejo primer perform on the aluminium foil btw?

Thanks Tony, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

As for Vallejo Primer: it has always performed properly for me when spraying it on top of alu tape or alu foil in general; in addition to that, in this case I sanded the wine bottle foil to remove any excess of paint and plastic, ending up wit a somewhat rough surface. I expect the primer to have gripped even more than usual, this way.

Ciao

• Like 4

Real good job on the wheels fairings Mr G !!

That Picchiatello will be another masterpiece !!

Congratulations !!

I can't wait to see the painting now !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on the metal parts. That makes a lot of sense. I shall have to try and get some. Sorry for the late reply. 🙃  she’s looking fabulous by the way. Those wine bottle cuffs look brilliant. Looking good in primer too. 🙌

Johnny

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Real good job on the wheels fairings Mr G !!

That Picchiatello will be another masterpiece !!

Congratulations !!

I can't wait to see the painting now !!

Sincerely.

CC

Cheer CC, thanks for the vote of confidence :D  :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

She looks quite good under the primer Giorgio.

All those little details like the wheel spats etc shows well.

Stay safe sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Brandy said:

Looking good under primer Giorgio, and those tyres look 10 times better!

Ian

Thanks Ian, glad you approve of the tires :winkgrin: You were absolutely right, they'd have looked really odd if left in their original state :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Well, that seemed to come together very quickly, wasn't expecting to see a primed Stuka errr, sorry, Picchiatello when I opened the update! Looking very nice G! And those modified u/c fairings look great!

K

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup: Pretty quick for my standards, I know - I could feel the breeze on my face :rofl: 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks for the info on the metal parts. That makes a lot of sense. I shall have to try and get some. Sorry for the late reply. 🙃  she’s looking fabulous by the way. Those wine bottle cuffs look brilliant. Looking good in primer too. 🙌

Johnny

No problem, Johnny :thumbsup: And thanks for the praise :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, great work—apologize if I missed this, did you paint the interior of the wheel fairings?  I know this is one of those unseen items, but I thought I saw RLM 02 in there—again, excellent outcome!  Best, Erwin

Not yet, Erwin. I didn't mention it, but I decided to spray them later - very little will be seen once the wheels are in place, so I didn't bother spraying the whole fairings interior and having paint on the joints and all. And thanks for your comment :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio, especially those fairings :) 

Cheers Ced, thank you! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

Some very cunning work G, I’m assuming you had to drink the whole bottle before you could use the wines foil so it’s sacrifice wasn’t in vain.

really nice to see it in primer, looking very smooth!

Rob

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’m assuming you had to drink the whole bottle before you could use the wines foil so it’s sacrifice wasn’t in vain.

Rob, I'm not sure why you are referring to a single "bottle", rather than using the plural.... :hmmm:  Several were sacrificed for modelling purposes...

:rofl: :rofl: 

27 minutes ago, rob85 said:

really nice to see it in primer, looking very smooth!

Thank you, the mix of Vallejo grey Primer and Future does make for a very smooth effect, in addition to being self leveling and very forgiving :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Haha 4

I've just spent a very enjoyable 20 minutes or so catching up on this masterpiece Giorgio. Your attention to detail is very inspiring and this is going to be one very fine Stuka. I've not done much BM posting myself lately, largely a result of working on a 1/48 Meteor I'm building for a colleague, and I must say I am quite taken with the scale, having been almost a lifelong avid 1/72 aircraft modeller. I am considering doing a 1/48 aircraft WIP at some point soon, most likely a FAA Aircraft.

Thanks for such an inspiring and entertaining build so far.

Terry

PS, I am curious to know, as is @Ex-FAAWAFU I'm sure, when the main paint is going on, soon yes ............... ? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

PS, I am curious to know, as is @Ex-FAAWAFU I'm sure, when the main paint is going on, soon yes ............... ? 🤣

:rofl: Sooner than you may think, Terry.... as  matter of fact, last night I pre-shaded it, and tonight I'm going to spray the underside color...., :winkgrin:

Thank you for the praise, Terry - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Sooner than you may think, Terry.... as  matter of fact, last night I pre-shaded it, and tonight I'm going to spray the underside color....,

Looks like I set myself up for that one! 😁

Looking forward to seeing that.

Terry

• Haha 1

Hmmm, I'm sure I just read somebody post this in a certain Sea Vixen thread;

"Now you will probably begin to hear the chant:

We Want Paint!

We Want Paint!

We Want Paint!

We Want Paint!"

Wonder who that was... :hmmm: :whistle:  🤣

Keith

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looks like I set myself up for that one! 😁

Looking forward to seeing that.

Terry

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Hmmm, I'm sure I just read somebody post this in a certain Sea Vixen thread;

"Now you will probably begin to hear the chant:

We Want Paint!

We Want Paint!

We Want Paint!

We Want Paint!"

Wonder who that was... :hmmm: :whistle:  🤣

Keith

Terry, Keith, when I say it, I mean it: you wanted paint, you got paint! :D 

I started with some pre-shading: top side was first randomly airbrushed with Tamiya Flat White and Dark Yellow, followed by an actual pre-shading along the panel lines with Tamiya Flat Black

preshading1

The underside instead was done using Tamiya Sea Blue

preshading2

Same process on the engine cowlings

preshading3

the rudder

preshading4

and other sparse bits

preshading5

Time for RLM65, then (my own mix of Tamiya Sky Blue, Flat White and probably a bit of Sky Grey (can't remember exactly because I prepared this concoction a few years ago for a Me109 and I had it laying around ever since :shrug: ).  Dive brakes, elevators and antennae first

painting1

Bottom engine cowl and pitot

painting2

and the main AC underside

painting3

Pre-shading showing through just as I wanted; the contrast will increase once I spray the protective clear coat, but then it will set back once I paint the insignias, add some weathering and spray a flat coat.

I'll leave this be for tonight, then I'll spray a protective gloss coat and then I'll mask it for the top side camouflage. 

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 13

18 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Beautiful work as always Giorgio. Curious as to how you clean you airbrush after shooting the mixture of Vallejo and Future as I would like to try this myself

George

Thanks George! :thumbsup: I use distilled water to remove the big part of the residuals after spraying vallejo primer+future (Vallejo primer is very sensitive to water, to the point that if you try to use that to thin it, it will just become dirty water and loose any covering power); then I finish up with IPA or even regular alcohol. Two heads up: you don't want to wait cleaning after you finished airbrushing, otherwise you'll get a cloggy mess inside your airbrush cup. Also, what I use isn't the original Future but an Italian equivalent, that may be thinner than Future (it is, anyway, an acrylic wax for floors). I'd suggest to experiment on a scrap piece to get the hang of it.

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice paint G!

K

Cheers Keith, thanks :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

As above G. Your paint mixmatch the Rlm 65 really good on the photo.

Cheers

Thanks Ben, I'm pretty happy myself about the RLM65 :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1