"Picchiatello", the Italian Stuka - Ju 87 B-2

On 22/01/2021 at 12:19, keefr22 said:

Lovely stuff G....!!

K

Thanks Keith, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

On 23/01/2021 at 16:57, VT Red Sox Fan said:

@Carlos Eduardo Navarro Ocando--simply gorgeous Stuka!  Giorgio, I really liked how you created depth and weathering on the engine block... this is going to look great in the airframe... best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thank you - glad you like it :thumbsup:

Detailing job continues on the engine and firewall, here's what I did over the WE:

the engine and cowling framing received a Tamiya Smoke coat

engine66

I also airbrushed a coat or two of W&N Galeria Flat Clear, on the engine only

engine67

engine68

I then added the engine bearers

engine69

engine70

engine71

Then I added this big pipe, using 1mm solder and alu tape strips for the fasteners; some fasteners added to the oil an cooling fluid pipes too

engine72

engine73

Almost time to fit the exhausts - but first I had to paint them :) A base coat of Model Master Exhaust Metallizer

exhausts1

After buffing

exhausts2

and after some weathering:

exhausts3

exhausts4

I first painted the rust effect, using a mix of Lifecolor Tan and Matt Red, dabbed on with a small sponge; then a Light Gull Grey drybrush, followed by a black tempera wash.

And here they are in place, along with the cowling framing (which also received a heavy black tempera wash)

engine74

engine76

More piping added to the firewall too, using various copper wires and cables coming from an old SCART TV cable

firewall25

firewall26

That's it for this report, all comments welcome :)

Ciao

• Like 20

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

I first painted the rust effect, using a mix of Lifecolor Tan and Matt Red, dabbed on with a small sponge; then a Light Gull Grey drybrush, followed by a black tempera wash.

Thanks for sharing your methodology Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

That scavenged wiring looks very convincing in place there on the firewall also.

• Thanks 1

All that work and you couldn't have gone just one teensy weensy step further and hung the engine off the firewall could you? Oh no! You just had to leave us all gasping and drooling in anticipation (again!) 

Lovely work Giorgio. 

• Haha 10

On 24/01/2021 at 22:38, TheBaron said:

Thanks for sharing your methodology Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

That scavenged wiring looks very convincing in place there on the firewall also.

Thanks Tony, and you're welcome :) I grabbed this technique from someone else on here or on the web, so I thought it's just fair sharing it - I learned almost all I know about modelling from people sharing their methods, especially on BM :thumbsup:

On 25/01/2021 at 00:02, hendie said:

All that work and you couldn't have gone just one teensy weensy step further and hung the engine off the firewall could you? Oh no! You just had to leave us all gasping and drooling in anticipation (again!) 

Lovely work Giorgio. 

I know, I'm a bit of a sadist....

(Also, probably a bit of a masochist... :banghead: :rofl: )

Glad you like it, though :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, CedB said:

That looks stunning Giorgio :) 

23 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wow!  That’s excellent

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto....!!

:)

Keith

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Many more dittos from me!

Terry

Ced, Crisp, Keith and Terry: thank you guys, much appreciated - you are all too kind :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 4

On 26/01/2021 at 22:12, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, the engine looks incredible Giorgio.

Thanks Cookie, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 30/01/2021 at 20:59, Spookytooth said:

A fine looking engine you have done there.

I have got to remember that its only 1/48 scale not 1/32 or 1/24.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thank you :thumbsup:  More details added, see below :) 

Almost done with detailing the engine and the firewall: it's a time consuming task, and I only have a few progress pic to show, but this is all I manged over a good number of modelling hours during the WE.

First off: not very visible, but I added the actuator for the radiator flaps mechanism, scratch built with brass pipe and copper wire, painted with the Molotow chrome pen and some Italeri Flat Black over the main body, by brush

engine77

Then more details on the firewall, using sprue bits, plastic cards of various thickness, copper wire and brass sheet

firewall27

The detailing isn't completed, but this is as far as I wanted to go prior to start painting; the remaining piping/cabling will be added with the engine in place.

So I airbrushed the firewall with a base coat of Tamiya Flat Black, followed by RLM02

firewall28

Same for the front part of the fuselage, using one of the firewall attempts as mask

firewall29

I also started the last scratch built detail to be added to the engine, to wit the ignition system; this is quite a prominent feature on the port side of the engine, and it's mounted on the lower bracket of the engine bearer. No clear reference pics for that, so I'm going by the manual drawing and some builds on YouTube

engine78

Those two alu tape straps need tidying up, but there's still a lot more to do with it anyway.

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My goshagolly I wondered where I left that twenty pence piece

Joking everybody, I have no evidence at all that Giorgio crept into my crypt and nicked my small change one dark and stormy night.

Let's face it I probably left it at the bar in one of his fantastic modelling tour de forces, sorry for the disruption G

Like it seems all my friends, I am stonished by that magnificent engine.

Tremendous detailing, good enough for a giemme build, I love it

• Haha 2

On 31/01/2021 at 21:44, Biggles87 said:

Impressive firewall detail from bits and pieces.

John

Literally from bits and pieces :D Thank you John, glad you like, more below :thumbsup: 

On 31/01/2021 at 21:46, Spookytooth said:

As above , it will look great once the details are picked out and everything is in place.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Wait no more Simon, see below :thumbsup:

On 31/01/2021 at 22:47, The Spadgent said:

Bit of a catch up. The detail is off the scale dear G. Bravo. 👏👏👏👏

Thank you, Johnny! Much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 01/02/2021 at 00:20, hendie said:

nice firewall G.    That engine is still the star of the show so far though

they finally got to meet, see below :D Thanks for the praise :thumbsup:

On 01/02/2021 at 03:59, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Great progress so far, Giorgio! 👍 All these details looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

Cheers Nikolay, thank you :thumbsup: More details added, see below :thumbsup: 

On 01/02/2021 at 09:30, CedB said:

More detailing - you're spoiling us Ambassador! Superb work Giorgio :) 

As I just said, more details added - can't help it, sorry :shrug: :rofl: 

On 01/02/2021 at 16:36, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, well done--the details are off the scale--well on the way to another masterpiece.  Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin, glad you like it :thumbsup: And thank you for the vote of confidence too :D 

On 01/02/2021 at 16:45, perdu said:

My goshagolly I wondered where I left that twenty pence piece

Joking everybody, I have no evidence at all that Giorgio crept into my crypt and nicked my small change one dark and stormy night.

Let's face it I probably left it at the bar in one of his fantastic modelling tour de forces, sorry for the disruption G

Like it seems all my friends, I am stonished by that magnificent engine.

Tremendous detailing, good enough for a giemme build, I love it

Unless we accidentally met in London five years ago in September ('cause I got hold of that coin and others back then), I plead innocent, your hon... Bill :D Thank you for your comment, see below for the completed article :thumbsup:

On 04/02/2021 at 00:13, corsaircorp said:

Congrats Mr G !!

Huge amount of details !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Alain :thumbsup: 

Alright, here's my usual WE progress report - lots of pics this time. The engine is now basically complete, but let's see how I got there. Remember the ignition system? It got all spidery:

engine79

I then trimmed the wires/cables and added two fasteners, scratch built using 0.1mm brass sheet and Dremel tools

engine80

The firewall received some detail painting

firewall30

Then it was time to glue it to the engine, before adding the remaining piping/cabling. Here goes, with the ignition system painted and fitted on the port engine bearer:

engine81

engine82

engine83

engine84

engine88

As I said, the engine is essentially completed, bar the radiator cowling flaps actuators, but those will go on only at the very end of the build. Also, I will probably add a bit of grime here and there, but again only at the end of the build. It was then time to go back to the main airframe (eventually! ); first off, there's one handle on starboard side that needed to be filled in, this one:

fuselage10

Usual mix of CA+flour for the filling, and after some sanding and polishing:

fuselage11

Then I had some masking mojo, and masked the central canopy with Oramask

canopy1

canopy2

This was then airbrushed RLM02 (the cockpit version) with my trusty PROCON BOY

canopy3

and the same happened to the windshield (both received a protective Future coat, too)

canopy4

Now, here's a bit of a fit issue I had somewhat anticipated earlier in the build, while dry fitting, but I was hoping it wouldn't be that noticeable with the fuselage and wings glued in place; the central canopy is supposed to fit this way

canopy5

so that the bottom frame is flush with the fuselage. But if you do that, what you get starboard side is this:

canopy6

a good 1 and a half mm inboard of the fuselage - HUGE gap :frantic: Since the canopy was still quite flexible, I decided to glue it flush with the fuselage on port side, using TeT

canopy7

and once cured overnight, I pushed the other side out to reach the starboard fuselage edge, keeping it in place with a couple of dots of CA gel and adding TeT for a permanent bond

canopy8

Looks like port side is still good :phew:

canopy9

You may have noticed that, starboard side, the front corner of the canopy isn't perfectly aligned with the fuselage; this is because the pilot's armored backplate was already in place, and I had no room to pry the canopy open if not from the back. In hindsight, I would recommend anybody building this kit to fit the armored plate after having glued the canopy in place; it would have also saved me some masking, had I done that ... :banghead: :banghead:

Anyway, I was pretty happy with it (and that misaligned corner will be hidden by the sliding pilot canopy, once placed open, so.... :bleh: :D ); I then made a test fit of the engine assembly

engine86

and with the propeller too (again, only dry fit in place)

engine87

Not far from primer coat, now :) 

Well, that's it for this update, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Yes....darn swish......off to Google swish and pray it isn't something bad......................................................................................................

• Haha 8