"Picchiatello", the Italian Stuka - Ju 87 B-2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

any comments welcome

It was my first day back at work today after a couple of weeks break Giorgio.  I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't suppose the next two weeks will be any better either.

Oh, did you mean comments on your Donatello like sculpting of amorphous polymeric italeriness into things wondrously geometric to behold?  

Mmnnnn...yeah, not bad I suppose :bleh:

Nice chisel work G

• Haha 6

The cowlings look so much better for that work. It would be a shame not to display them. Maybe a little display with a ladder or something.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2021 at 19:38, Cookenbacher said:

Well, it looks like you're keeping up your usual spectacularly high standards with this one Giorgio.

Happy New Year my friend!

Cheers Cookie, thank you :thumbsup: Great to hear from you :) 

On 04/01/2021 at 19:48, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio Nice to see to pimp it up to a very high standard.

Cheers

Thanks Ben - lots of piping up still to come :frantic:  :thumbsup:

On 04/01/2021 at 19:58, TheBaron said:

Admirable surgery there Dr. G.  👏

Much appreciated, dear Baron :)  :thumbsup: 

On 04/01/2021 at 20:02, Spookytooth said:

All looks good from here G.

Careful surgery and patience too.

Happy New Year sir to you and yours.

Simon.

Thank you Simon, glad you like it :thumbsup:

On 05/01/2021 at 00:00, The Spadgent said:

Soooooo judging by the detail on this one it’s 1/24 next. 😜

Hear me out, Johnny: N O    W A Y! :rofl: :rofl:  Thanks for the praise, mate :thumbsup:

On 05/01/2021 at 01:57, CedB said:

Wow. Just wow! :) 

I must try cutting some card in the Portrait again - looks like it's worth persevering.

Thank you, Ced :thumbsup: It's totally worth it, as long as you don't expect to cut right through the plastic; all you need is a good scouring, so that you can easily snap the pieces off (or use an appropriate blade and separate the piece form the surrounding plastic, when the shapes are too complex).

On 05/01/2021 at 02:37, hendie said:

It was my first day back at work today after a couple of weeks break Giorgio.  I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't suppose the next two weeks will be any better either.

Oh, did you mean comments on your Donatello like sculpting of amorphous polymeric italeriness into things wondrously geometric to behold?  

Mmnnnn...yeah, not bad I suppose :bleh:

Nice chisel work G

:rofl:  :rofl: Way too kind, Alan :thumbsup:

On 05/01/2021 at 14:15, keefr22 said:

I agree, it's not at all bad.......... It's flippin' excellent - great work Giorgio!! 👍

Keith

Cheers Keith, thank you, much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 05/01/2021 at 15:18, Brandy said:

The cowlings look so much better for that work. It would be a shame not to display them. Maybe a little display with a ladder or something.

Ian

I'll think about that, Ian -thank you :thumbsup: In fact, see below for more work on them

On 05/01/2021 at 20:37, rob85 said:

That’s some stunning little bits of detail work there G, happy new year to you and all the family!

Rob

Thank you Rob! :thumbsup:

Here's WE progress report; I've been mainly working on detailing the engine/firewall, but first a digression into colors/painting. A while back, I did an ME109 model, and during the research for the correct colors, I noticed that the RLM02 could show a noticeable green hue in some cases, especially in the wheel wells and other "internal" parts; I decided to try and reproduce that, this time using Tamiya paints, and test it on the inside of the cowlings and on the engine bearers. So here it is:

cowlings8

This is basically a mix of Tamiya Olive Drab and Sky Grey, with some Dark Ocean Grey added to balance the mix. Probably a bit too green, but not very different to pics I've seen of Me109 wheel wells, as I mentioned. I have no real references for the Stuka, but anyway even if I decide to display the cowlings, the inner part will be virtually invisible. Just for the sake of it, anyway, here are the cowlings after a flat clear coat, while the bearers received a Future coat

cowlings9

The cowlings are staying like that; the bearers, instead, received a drybrush with my Lifecolor version of the RLM02 mix, then with Light Gull Grey for more highlights and a black tempera wash,a ll sealed with Lifercolor Matt Clear

engine38

Back to the engine and firewall; remember I was scratch building the cowlings framing? Here's a dry fit prior to adding the outer lips, after having removed the excess plastic

engine36

With that done, I proceeded with gluing 0.1mm plastic strips on top of them

engine37

For some reason, this thickness of plastic sheet is made of a different material, which doesn't get along well with TeT; in fact, during the process of refining these parts, they kept falling off, so I replaced them with strips from 0.2mm card, which instead once cured held very solidly. Dryfit in place:

engine39

engine40

A bit of refining needed, but I think we have something here.

Time to get back to adding details to the scratch built firewall; another dry fit to check for interference

engine41

and in fact (see next shot), the bottom pipe was fooling the aiming window tunnel cover, preventing the engine bearer bottom bracket to go all the way into its receiving hole

engine42

so I snipped off the plastic tube and replaced with a 1mm piece of solder

engine43

Better :)  I then added this supporting frame right above the aiming window tunnel

firewall23

and further checked the fit - all good there

engine44

Back again to the cowling frame, I wanted to add the radiator flaps actuators, or at least part of them; a simplified version, actually, because their actual shape demanded PE, and self made PE is out of my reach. I essentially needed some V-shaped flat placards, so I resorted to hammering flat some thin copper wire

engine45

I then cut the "V" ends and glued on the frame

engine46

I then added the actuators, from 0.3mm brass pipe

engine47

All glued with CA, plus a dot of Gator's Grip on the joints just to be on the safe side. It needs some clean up, but should hopefully look OK.

In the middle of all the above, I also airbrushed decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium on the propeller/spinner assembly

20210105_181046

That's it for this update, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 22

More great detailing Giorgio - looking good :) 

Was the plastic strip Plastruct? I’ve had the same problem with TET not melting it :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new firewall and cowling supports are looking really good Giorgio. I love the little actuators - nice thinking to get the solution you came up with.

Ian

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sooooo that’s a maybe then? 🤣🤣

sorry only kidding. 
The engine bay is looking stunning. And that prop looks. 👌

Bravo G. 

1/24 by Giemme would be a VERY interesting watch I’m with you on this one!

Is this your final answer G?! Do you like Hellcats 😃😂

Awesome work on that engine bay, really enjoying the little details coming together. Also the engine brackets have a very satisfying finish about them.

nice work.

Rob

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sooooo that’s a maybe then? 🤣🤣

sorry only kidding. 
The engine bay is looking stunning. And that prop looks. 👌

Bravo G. 

Well, maybe .....

No, no, no, what am I saying?? :frantic: 

:D  

Thanks for the praise, Johnny :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking splendid there G.

The scratch built "P.E." sets the mounts off nicely with the home made actuators .

Stay safe sir.

Simon.

Thank you Simon, much appreciated :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, CedB said:

More great detailing Giorgio - looking good :) 

Was the plastic strip Plastruct? I’ve had the same problem with TET not melting it :( 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: I wouldn't know, actually; I bought it from my LHS and it was sold as a single sheet without packaging. TBH, the owner did warn me that TeT wouldn't have worked with it, I just plenty forgot.... :wall: 

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Lovely update Mr G.

I'm loving this build - a Stuka is one of those aircraft that just looks 'right' and you are making this one a masterclass in detailing.

Way too kind Alan - glad you like it :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those last two photos Giorgio?

:chef: 😗

Structure and lustre.

Thanks Tony :thumbsup: Still a lot of structure to add, while the lustre will vanish under regular paint, only to reappear in the form of chipping... :winkgrin:

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Great work G!

Not sure I could see many of those bits you're scratching, even in 1/48th!

Keith

I can only see them myself using a magnifier, Keith... and maybe it's for the best.... :rofl2: But all in all, I think they will contribute to the "busy" appearance .... :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, masterful work—I really like the green tint RLM 02–it’s different but accurate looking—thank you for sharing these inspiring builds!  Best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thanks! :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

The new firewall and cowling supports are looking really good Giorgio. I love the little actuators - nice thinking to get the solution you came up with.

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup: I did think of very complicated ways to reproduce them, and all of them gave me headaches; the idea eventually came when I forced myself to thinking of a very simple shape... :shrug:  :) 

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

1/24 by Giemme would be a VERY interesting watch I’m with you on this one!

Is this your final answer G?! Do you like Hellcats 😃😂

Awesome work on that engine bay, really enjoying the little details coming together. Also the engine brackets have a very satisfying finish about them.

nice work.

Rob

OK, you talk to Johnny @The Spadgent if you want an aircraft in 1/24, alright? :rofl:  :rofl: Do you people really want to see my going insane?? :frantic: (as if... :rofl: )

Besides, I took care of the Hellcat thing already, I have a beautiful Eduard's kit in 1/48, that's more than enough! :D 

Thanks for your comment, Rob - it is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 12/10/2020 at 10:10 PM, perdu said:

"switches on, contact,brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...."

Aaaaargh.... You forget to shout "Clear prop !!"

And Regia aeronautica has lost one mechanic.... Damn mechanics... :door::rofl2:

Yup Giorgio,

Same from me about the shape of the belly and yes, correcting it mean a complete reshape of a good part of the belly...

Add to this that the bomb mechanism will have to be rebuild from scratch...

I took the same decision... It was "Tête à gaucheeeee ! Gauche !!".... :whistle:

And now having the engine at the right place... But with your selfmade firewall, it will surely be better...

Great job My friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, giemme said:

Besides, I took care of the Hellcat thing already, I have a beautiful Eduard's kit in 1/48, that's more than enough! :D 

Thanks for your comment, Rob - it is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Ciao

Whaaat ?

There's NO such a thing as enough Hellcats or Corsairs or Sea Furies ans so on...

Mmmmh Blackburn Roc ???

I promised not to start any new kit in 2021.... Aaargh !! Though it is for sure....

Are we already the 12th of December ???

Very fine job Mr G !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/10/2021 at 1:46 PM, giemme said:

Thank you, Ced :thumbsup: It's totally worth it [using a Silhouette cutter], as long as you don't expect to cut right through the plastic; all you need is a good scouring, so that you can easily snap the pieces off (or use an appropriate blade and separate the piece from the surrounding plastic, when the shapes are too complex).

The Silhouette cutters (Portrait, Curio, and Cameo), in my experience, have no trouble at all cutting completely through .010 plastic ... but that's about the limit since these are low force machines (Cameo 4 has a high force setting, but I've been stymied trying to cut thicker plastic). The great thing about these machines is that the cuts are entirely repeatable, so pieces are easy to duplicate and laminate. And as Giorgio stated, thicker shapes, if not too complex, can be snapped after several passes by the cutter.  Great modelling aid, I think.

Really great updates, Giorgio. Thanks as usual.

Gene K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/01/2021 at 17:40, Brandy said:

I have the Airfix 1:24 Stuka in my stash...with lots of extras....one day!

Ian

Good luck with that! :D 

On 12/01/2021 at 08:30, Biggles87 said:

I have an Airfix 1/24 Typhoon, I bought it as an investment!

Are you going to resell it as mini-flat once you've built it? :rofl: 

On 12/01/2021 at 12:26, perdu said:

Loving this engine G, perfection coming along as usual.

👍

Thanks Bill, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

On 12/01/2021 at 14:52, Fritag said:

Ooo, I like that.  Ditto. 

Thank you Steve :thumbsup: Tony is quite a poet, isn't he? :) 

On 12/01/2021 at 22:13, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’m running out of likes with this catchy build, Giorgio! 👏 Excellent attention to the details, well done. 😉

Cheers Nikolay, much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 12/01/2021 at 22:23, corsaircorp said:

Yup Giorgio,

Same from me about the shape of the belly and yes, correcting it mean a complete reshape of a good part of the belly...

Add to this that the bomb mechanism will have to be rebuild from scratch...

I took the same decision... It was "Tête à gaucheeeee ! Gauche !!".... :whistle:

And now having the engine at the right place... But with your selfmade firewall, it will surely be better...

Great job My friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you CC :thumbsup: TBH, apart from spreading out the engine bearers so that their mounts look more like the original, I'm counting on the fact that the exposed engine should look "in the right place" anyway ... :D 

15 hours ago, Gene K said:

The Silhouette cutters (Portrait, Curio, and Cameo), in my experience, have no trouble at all cutting completely through .010 plastic ... but that's about the limit since these are low force machines (Cameo 4 has a high force setting, but I've been stymied trying to cut thicker plastic). The great thing about these machines is that the cuts are entirely repeatable, so pieces are easy to duplicate and laminate. And as Giorgio stated, thicker shapes, if not too complex, can be snapped after several passes by the cutter.  Great modelling aid, I think.

Really great updates, Giorgio. Thanks as usual.

Gene K

Thanks Gene :thumbsup:

I should have been more specific about cutting plastic with the Curio: no troubles at all when cutting, say, up to 0.2mm styrene sheet. For the 0.5mm bits I used in this built, I only went as far as making enough passes to snap the parts off in a clean way. In detail, I made my first attempts with the deeper setting of the blade (pos. 10 in this case) and 10 passes, but I noticed that for complex shapes with tight turns, I obtained better results limiting the number of passes to 4; snapping them off was just as easy, but the definition of the small details was better preserved, compared to the 10 passes attempt.

As you say, the repeatability of the cut is a major plus, as it allows laminating; definitely a great modelling aid, and I'll be using it more and more.

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:17 PM, TheBaron said:

Structure and lustre.

My favourite nailbar / hair salon for the discerning gentleman.  Hoxton, I believe.  Sadly closed at the moment, but a man can dream.

[Stonking Stuk-ery, Giorgio, obvs]

• Haha 7