"Picchiatello", the Italian Stuka - Ju 87 B-2

On 18/10/2020 at 23:22, bbudde said:

Nice work on that Giorgio.  Will have to read a bit more here. Mojo a bit low here either, but the more you read and you have to translate in your brain, the better it is to stay fit.

Cheers.

Thanks Ben :thumbsup: Hope your mojo will come back soon :) 

On 18/10/2020 at 23:56, hendie said:

nice problem solving approach, I like it

Thank you Alan, more below :thumbsup:

On 19/10/2020 at 00:27, CedB said:

Good grief, that's what I call scratch building a seat!

Great job Giorgio :) 

Thanks heaps, Ced :thumbsup:  As I said, there's more below :) 

On 19/10/2020 at 11:54, keefr22 said:

What Ced said! Excellent chair G....!! :)

K

Cheers Keith, glad you like it :thumbsup:  Check out the complete version :winkgrin:

On 19/10/2020 at 12:52, corsaircorp said:

Great vacforming Giorgio !!

Dully saved !!

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  Now, don't you try and vacform an entire Corsair model, alright? You still have to finish one this year, remember? :D  :D 

On 19/10/2020 at 13:40, Spookytooth said:

Great work on the scratch built seat G.

Looking good from here.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio—nice work scratching the seat—this build will be special—cheers Erwin 

Thank you Erwin :thumbsup: I don't know if it's going to be special, but there sure is gonna be quite some scratch building .... :winkgrin: :) 

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great progress Giorgio.

I like this:

Terry

Glad you like that shot, Terry - I'm quite happy about how the IP turned out :thumbsup:

Sorry for the lack of update during the week, guys, but a lot of work went into completing the seat, which in turn it's easily shown with a few pics.

First I added some basic framing, from 0.5mm styrene sheet, 0.1mm brass sheet and 0.5mm brass pipe

seat12

then the seat lever and related mechanism 

seat13

seat14

For the lever itself, I used steel rod from a paper clip, shaping the handle by adding some solder and sanding it to shape with a Dremel sanding disc and a microfile. I did solder it to the horizontal bracket; all the rest was glued in place with CA

seat15

seat16

I had to remove the molded in seat supports from the tub floor...

seat17

... to be able to accommodate the new seat

seat18

seat19

Then I airbrushed it with some Tamiya Medium Sea Grey as primer, thinned with cellulose thinner

seat20

Still wet, but it shows some remedial work to be done already. Tomorrow, though - that's it for tonight :) 

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Sure Mr G

How can I forget it....

Vac forming a corsair...

Not quite able to do so, but wait...

As soon as I finish the XF4U-1, I'll tell you... Hold my beer ...:drink::evil_laugh:

Of course Something else is sprouting from my distorted mind...

And I'll surely need to vac form something....

Another FrankenCCation...!!

The pilot seat is stunning !! Congrats !!

CC

• Haha 1

On 25/10/2020 at 00:29, hendie said:

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful G!

Thanks Alan. much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 25/10/2020 at 00:35, The Spadgent said:

Wow!!!! 😱🙌😍😍😍😍😍

Thank you Johnny, way too kind :thumbsup: 

On 25/10/2020 at 00:37, keefr22 said:

Brilliant work G - if it hadn't been for the paint pot I'd have said you were pulling our legs and were actually building a 24th scale Airfix one....!! :)

K

Nononononono! Don't mention big scales when there's Johnny @The Spadgent listening! He's going to push me into that and I'll go insane! :frantic: :rofl: 

Thanks for the praise, Keith :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

:worthy:That is a brilliant piece of micro-engineering. Like Keith I hadn’t realised how small it was until you put it next to the paint pot.

John

Thank you John :thumbsup: Yet, it did seem huge to me compared to the 1/72 jet seats I've been doing lately... :D 

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sure Mr G

How can I forget it....

Vac forming a corsair...

Not quite able to do so, but wait...

As soon as I finish the XF4U-1, I'll tell you... Hold my beer ...:drink::evil_laugh:

Of course Something else is sprouting from my distorted mind...

And I'll surely need to vac form something....

Another FrankenCCation...!!

The pilot seat is stunning !! Congrats !!

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  You are a modelling volcano, nothing can stop you ... :D 

6 hours ago, rob85 said:

That IP is a delight G, and so is the rest of you work. Lovely scratch built seat as well! Knew this would be a great build to watch.

Rob

You're very kind Rob, thank you :thumbsup: More scratch building below :winkgrin: 

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The seat looks great G.

Another master piece in the  making.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thank you :thumbsup: 

Pilot seat: I brushed some PPP on it

seat21

Also, note how awful the grey coat was once dried. I think that specific pot is gone. So I resprayed it with Tamiya German Grey:

seat22

Much better. The finish isn't perfect, but with belts and weathering, it should look the part :winkgrin:  Next step will be an aluminium coat, then RLM02 and some chipping. But first I'll let this cure for a day or so.

Meanwhile, the gunner seat needed attention too. Here's Italeri rendition

gseat1

The seat per se isn't entirely correct - again, this is good for D versions and onward. The back upright should be taller, but the difference here is far less noticeable than what we had with the pilot seat, so I'll live with that.

The seat support though is very basic - meaning that it has nothing to do with the real thing, which should look like this

gunner_seat gunner_seat

So first off I removed the chunky kit support, keeping the top part

gseat2

I rounded it with a flat file and glued to a styrene support 

gseat4

Then I cut out the four base frame components from 0.5mm styrene sheet, using my Curio, and glued them together with TeT, again on a flat styrene base

gseat3

For the adjustable height arms, I again resorted to the Curio, this time with 0.3mm plastic sheet

gseat5

Superglued in place

gseat6

and with the seat support, again using CA to hold it in place

gseat7

Eventually

gseat8

This should be the deal

gseat9

I still need to remove the molded frame, of course.

That's it for the WE, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

The scratchwork on those seats is really nice.

I am enjoying this because we have a Junkers Ju 87 R-4 Stuka being built at the Flying Heritage Collection in Everett (just a few miles up the road from me)

As a bonus, the work in progress is being displayed in the museum hangar so visitors can appreciate it (and take pics!)

I'll hold off on sharing photos of the seats because you have already done such a good job that any differences would be unnecessarily distracting at this point.

However, here are a few shots of the engine firewall in case they can help you go to town on that area.

Stuka-FHC-2019-05-11-4343.jpg

-

Stuka-FHC-2019-05-11-4344.jpg

-

Stuka-FHC-2019-05-11-4348.jpg

Hope these will help, or at least serve as some inspiration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Hmmmm sounds like someone’s pushing themselves. 😛🤪🤣

I strongly disagree! :D :D :rofl: 

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

He’s done it again. 🙌 you’re making up my mind about what I’m doing on my next build. Thanks Giorgio. 😇

Glad if I can be of any help, Johnny :D :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

The scratchwork on those seats is really nice.

I am enjoying this because we have a Junkers Ju 87 R-4 Stuka being built at the Flying Heritage Collection in Everett (just a few miles up the road from me)

As a bonus, the work in progress is being displayed in the museum hangar so visitors can appreciate it (and take pics!)

I'll hold off on sharing photos of the seats because you have already done such a good job that any differences would be unnecessarily distracting at this point.

However, here are a few shots of the engine firewall in case they can help you go to town on that area.

Hope these will help, or at least serve as some inspiration.

They definitely help, Ol' Scrapiron! :thanks: :thumbsup:  Any pics you might have, please feel free to share them - including the interiors and the seats, I'd be more than happy to see them. I think I mentioned my scratch built seats are an approximation of the real things, I'm content enough for the purpose of this build - but all additional info is absolutely welcomed :) 

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi Giorgio.  Hope you and yours are all well. Great to see you underway with, what looks to be, another fascinating project. Beautiful work on the cockpit so far. :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi Giorgio, great work so far.  I find your work on the gunner's seat inspiring--FWIW, it seems to be a weakness in both the the resin and photo etch kits to improve Stukas of all scales--I am now drinking a beer to think about how might even come close to the bar you are setting--I might, have to switch to bourbon 🤣--Best, Erwin 

On 26/10/2020 at 11:09, keefr22 said:

But just imagine the masterpiece you'd create before you did....!! 🤣

Another excellent update G, more cracking work! 👍

K

:rofl: Yeah, sure - then I'd be interned in a safe place ... :D Thanks for the praise, Keith :thumbsup: 

On 26/10/2020 at 15:20, Massimo said:

Fantastic job on those interiors!!!!

You've found the right documentation and now you're having a lot of fun bringing this Italeri kit to a higher level!

Those seats can speak!!!!!!:worthy:

Well done Giorgio!!!

Grazie Massimo, way too kind! :thumbsup:  I hope you and yours are keeping well 🤞

On 26/10/2020 at 19:28, hendie said:

just when we thought it couldn't get any better!

On 26/10/2020 at 20:27, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Top, top seat-ery.  Bellissimo!

On 27/10/2020 at 08:00, CedB said:

Yep, another stunning seat! Great job Giorgio :) 

Alan, Crisp and Ced: you are all way too kind, thank you guys :thumbsup:

On 28/10/2020 at 17:45, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio.  Hope you and yours are all well. Great to see you underway with, what looks to be, another fascinating project. Beautiful work on the cockpit so far. :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you :thumbsup: We are keeping well , thank you, and I hope of you and yours

5 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Hi Giorgio, great work so far.  I find your work on the gunner's seat inspiring--FWIW, it seems to be a weakness in both the the resin and photo etch kits to improve Stukas of all scales--I am now drinking a beer to think about how might even come close to the bar you are setting--I might, have to switch to bourbon 🤣--Best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin. much appreciated :thumbsup: Try red wine instead of burbon, it might work better (that's what I drink besides beer, anyway... :D )

Alright, here's WE progress report, everybody; I removed the molded in frame for the gunner seat, using a chisel, a scraping gizmo and regular sandpaper

gseat10

Then I airbrushed decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium on the seats

seat23

gseat11

gseat12

Meanwhile, the PE seat belts received a black base coat (Tamiya Flat Black) followed by Lifecolor Sand Yellow

gseat13

Back to the seats with RLM02, airbrushed with my trusty PROCON BOY 270

seat24

seat25

gseat15

As you can see, the gunsight protection bar received a coat too.

Then, after some scuffing, chipping, black washing and clear coating ....

seat26

seat27

seat28

gseat16

gseat17

gseat18

A test fit in place

seat29

TBH, the Valiant book sports a review of this kit, stating that this type of seat belts and harness are appropriate for later models (like most things about the kit interiors, I'd say) but the differences should only be about the buckles, so I decided I'll live with that - I didn't really want to mess up the PE parts, as I think they sort of dignify the rough job I did by scratch building the pilot seat and the gunner seat structure.

Next task was the gunsight; here's the kit offering, after some cleanup 

gunsight1

I removed the overly thick screen and replaced it with some acetate, and painted the rest with Lifecolor acrylics, by brush

gunsight2

gunsight3

Then I glued it in place on the IP, together with its guard

gunsight4

gunsight5

There's still some Gator's Grip drying on the gunsight screen, because I re-positioned it slightly more vertical. The whole fit was quite wonky, but I could have done some dry fitting before, which I didn't, so I'm the one to blame. I just hope I won't loose any bits when I fit this to the rest of the tub, but I felt it was a lot easier to add them at this stage.

That's it for tonight, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14