701 - Dassault Mercure

halcyonjet

Here is my first build, the Dassault Mercure. It will be finished in Air Inter colours, who were the only operator of the type. The kit decals don't look to be that good, but I have a new set currently en route from F-DCAL.

resized_3991ffcb-a1fc-46a0-98d4-4ba5a8e7

Dave

Edited by halcyonjet
Add catalogue number
  • Like 18

BOOM!

Now that's what I'm talking about, proper obscure French stuff, very niche Heller territory here, so pleased to see this in the GB, thanks for doing it!  Catalogue number 701 back in 1978.

Welcome and good luck.

• Like 3

Will be watching this one with interest.

Also be interesting to see this side by side with their 1:125 A320 (and on the other side their (very early production that is -100) 1:125 737. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rob S said:

(and on the other side their (very early production that is -100) 1:125 737. 

*perks ears*

I might have to dig the reject pile for that one, if you want to see that.

• Like 1

Hi

I p/u this kit a few years back, then when in France later that year i took loads of photos of the one at Le Bourget.

If they are of help let me know ok.

Paul

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Also be interesting to see this side by side with their 1:125 A320 (and on the other side their (very early production that is -100) 1:125 737. 

I remember that Dassault had plans for an improved Mercure 200 powered by 2 CFM56 engines, as the A320 later did. Who knows how successful it might have been if it had made it off the drawing board?

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

*perks ears*

I might have to dig the reject pile for that one, if you want to see that.

I've got one somewhere, but it's living in another kit's box. Just haven't come across it yet....

7 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

I p/u this kit a few years back, then when in France later that year i took loads of photos of the one at Le Bourget.

If they are of help let me know ok.

That is a very kind offer Paul, I'm sure that there will be details I don't know as the build progresses.

Dave

The new decal sheets have just arrived from F-DCAL, and very nice they look, albeit with a quite big error (but easy to correct). Once a spotter, always a spotter I guess!

A quick view of the sprues before the fun starts.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png.

Dave

• Like 5

Come on Dave, you've been teasing us long enough with this one!

On second thoughts, please don't rush it, I'm very keen on seeing how this proto-Airbus comes out.

For the uninitiated, what's the mistake with the decal?

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 5:29 AM, halcyonjet said:

I remember that Dassault had plans for an improved Mercure 200 powered by 2 CFM56 engines, as the A320 later did. Who knows how successful it might have been if it had made it off the drawing board?

And who knows how much of the Mercure design influenced the A320 design. 

How do the fuselage cross sections compare?  

The sprue shots make it look A319 size in length. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wez said:

For the uninitiated, what's the mistake with the decal?

The registrations should be F-BTTA/B/C etc., not F-BBTA/B/C. An easy mistake to make, but easily rectified due to all the reggies being included!

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Mercure has always intrigued me as an aircraft that will go down in history as a 737 also ran. Having worked for Airline companies all my working life, I’m embarrassed to say that my Airliner knowledge is not as sharp as for military aircraft.... why did this not sell as well as Boeing’s product? Either way, its so good to have this kit built here. I like the way Heller designed their airliner kit cockpit windows integral with a portion of the fuselage, that was thinking ahead. I’m sure this will be a popular build and the new decals look really great. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:05 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

why did this not sell as well as Boeing’s product?

Shorter range compared to the competitors, combined with the oil crisis and unfavourable exchange rates.

Only 11 sold. Air Inter was the only customer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 09:01, Rob S said:

And who knows how much of the Mercure design influenced the A320 design. 

How do the fuselage cross sections compare?  

The sprue shots make it look A319 size in length. 

Doing a bit of research it seems that the fuselage diameter is 2 inches wider than the Boeing 737, so quite similar to the Airbus narrowbody types. Pictured here with Heller's A320.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally finding time to make a proper start after having my schedule changed by the current situation that is occurring.

Anyway, one of the first tasks is removing all the raised panel lines (and cheatline painting guide lines) and scribing details such as the baggage hold doors. BTW, I hate scribing! The passenger doors have quite deep gaps around them, so they have been filled. I'm also making up a very basic cockpit, although I'm sure very little will be seen once completed.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, halcyonjet said:

BTW, I hate scribing

I can honestly tell you... you’re not alone there! Great to see this kit back on the bench and I think removing those raise panel lines is certainly the way to go here. Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Doing a bit of research it seems that the fuselage diameter is 2 inches wider than the Boeing 737, so quite similar to the Airbus narrowbody types. Pictured here with Heller's A320.

spacer.png

Dave

Thanks for that comparison. So similar diameter but a bit shorter than an A320 and a bit longer than an A319 by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I can honestly tell you... you’re not alone there! Great to see this kit back on the bench and I think removing those raise panel lines is certainly the way to go here. Cheers.. Dave 

I agree. On the scribing as well as removing those panel lines. They look silly.

• Like 1

The fuselage halves are about to be joined together, so I'm turning my attention to the wings and engines. One thing I've noticed is the sink marks on the wing flap track fairings, but a quick swipe of putty should sort out the problem.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress at last with the Mercure. I made a very basic flight deck as there would be a complete void otherwise, even though not much will be seen through the cockpit windows. 

spacer.png

I filled the area that's aft of the open vent, then drilled and filed a hole, more in keeping with the real thing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've replaced the rather chunky blade aerials on either side of the fin with some spare frame from the edge of some photo-etch

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 7

Just found this, Dave, and very pleased to see you tackling it. It's an airliner, and a kit, I haven't heard of. 

What I have got though, is the old Heller Caravelle in 1.100 scale and it has several of the features that you are dealing with here! 

So it's very likely that I can pick up a few ideas on how to deal with an airliner of this age and style. 

Because I get brain-fade each time I open the box and look at the kit! 

Looking forward to seeing this develop 👍

• Like 1

On 06/12/2020 at 00:01, rob Lyttle said:

What I have got though, is the old Heller Caravelle in 1.100 scale 

Hi Rob, I've never seen that Caravelle, but I do have their very small 1/200 version.  I went through a spell of buying most of the Heller 1/125 airliner kits in the late70's / early 80's, including their 707, 727, 737, 747, DC-8, 9,10, A300 and TriStar. This GB has given me the reason to happily re-visit them.

Dave