Oops, I done it again! Restoring a Koster PB4Y-2 Privateer FINISHED!

23 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Fantastic stuff! I missed this on its first outing, good to catch up with such a rare bird in the process of rehabilitation πŸ‘

Β 

I can see it's in good hands though πŸ˜‰

Thanks Alan, good maybe but definitly shakey...

giphy.gif

And thanks for following along😎

• Haha 1

I'm sure glad you are putting in all this work.Β  As soon as you finish, Tamiya will announce a 1/48 Privateer.Β  It will cost $229 (USD) but I have to have one.Β Β πŸ˜„

2 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

I'm sure glad you are putting in all this work.Β  As soon as you finish, Tamiya will announce a 1/48 Privateer.Β  It will cost $229 (USD) but I have to have one.Β Β πŸ˜„

Your probably right. Be my luck. There is a resin 1/48 Privateer at that price but I don't know the quality. just that it would be HEAVY and definitely not my Brother.😎

38 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Don't care I’ll buy it ! Ive actually been inside of one and its very much on my wants list.Β 

• Like 1

Quick update while waiting for stuff to print and stock to arrive. I got the main seams sanded down and 99% filled and added the tail assembly.

51060075528_f540335585_c.jpg

There are a few spots to go over again and re-scribe the filled panel lines. But over all this old girl is starting to take shape once again. I'll try to get more uploaded later in the week.

Until later stay healthy, stay safe.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As I have a slight delay waiting on clear sheet for vacuforming some clear parts onΒ my Oxbox forΒ  Anything but injection GB, I've had my mojo rejuvenated watching theΒ Β build of Β seeing @Navy Bird'sΒ Privateer. Thanks Bill. Anyways,I had to make some new sensor blisters that had deteriorated too much out of some scrapΒ  resin blocks. Holding little itty bitty pieces of resin while sanding into odd looking compound curves is an exercise in absolute frustration.Β Nothing like almost getting done with a part and have it suddenly take flight.... right into the carpet monster's mouth.7 triesΒ Β and 3 completed parts later

51188559079_1be62d7807_c.jpg

Once added them,Β  I finished up the closing of the astrodome in front of the cockpit, and also added armour plate to the pilot and co-pilots sides and strengthing stripsΒ  at the cockpit and just behind the rear bomb bay.

51188005358_8cb690f4b7_c.jpg

Also re-scribed the panel lines that were covered over fixing seams and unfinished areas of the fuselage.

• Like 3

Next I worked on the rudder and horizontal stabilizers. The rudder needed a new right half so I cut a new one out of sheet stock, Removed the trim tabs and reattached with proper hinges. The scribed those as well.

51188559069_5ec25ab313_c.jpg

The attached with a little offset.

51188005373_208a45c5c8_c.jpg

I'm contemplating getting some use out of my rivet tool and getting a set of the HGW rivets for the bomb bay doors as those were actually raised and I managed to sand them off the first time I built this.

The next steps will be working on the nose and tail   Erco and MPC (Motor Products Corp not the model company😜) turrets then the adding the nose gear and making a new tail skid. and re-installing the cockpit seats and canopy.

• Like 6

TAking a break from the fuselage I printed new parts for the Wings nmaely, interoir parts for the split flaps, new exhaust pipes and vents, then decided toΒ  a few more thingsΒ for the fuselage(Suprise,suprise) some window framing.

51193843346_fe447bafcd_c.jpg

51193135462_5ef51bc43c_c.jpg

I'm still waiting on the the printer to finish the flaps, actuators and tail skid to finish about another 6 hours to go Almost like watching paint dry.

51194614454_371f83de21_c.jpg

I also got Vectors resin main gear well set. Thought about either scratch build new ones or printedΒ out new ones but opted for the easy way out. Probably have to get new wheels now too so it all matches:doh:

• Like 2

Since I separated the tail pieces had to do the same for the wing Another reason to do the flap system

51193135452_4d71444349_c.jpg

I'm tossing the lower split flaps for new and improved sets.

51194057568_86c0a251ab_c.jpg

Adding back the vac engine nacelles, I noticed that they have gotten extremely thin and fragile. So to keep things from shifting and distorting i added strengthening disksto the nacelles along with a new front cap.

Also had to add new binding strips to where the nacelles attach to the wing (this will come back to haunt me as we shall see in a moment).

51193843376_38774db1c2_c.jpg

51193843381_294cc81900_c.jpg

Added the exhausts and vents along with the exterior parts from the Vecot set. I was worried that the wouldn't follow the curve of the nacelle since this is a Privateer not a B-24 but this was probably the only trueΒ fit success with this set.

Β 

• Like 4

The set is really well designed.. for a B-24. But with the added extras with the nacelles is not quite perfect.

51194057588_565b01d941_c.jpg

Mostly with the wing thickness in spots. But I didn't catch it until AFTER I sealed the starboard wing up. I managed to correct some of it so its not all that noticeable but good from a meter away and a heck of a lot better than the original build.

51194614474_0f6aa33947_c.jpg

The flaps and the interior bracing I had to split in 2 parts because of size.

51194057608_3976f9d78a_c.jpg

51193843326_70015f9365_c.jpg

But once assembled fit was spot on.

Β 

• Like 4

But the draw back with the thickness is that I had to trim some of the wing/nacelles brace shims. it alleviated some of the distortion but not all. On the port wing I may have to see if I can trim any of the edging of the wheelΒ  well to compensate further.

51194614409_1c6a971fab_c.jpg

The other discovery I had forgotten about and that was the outer nacelle had a noticeable "dip" not following the line of the wing. As I remember I used a LOT of Bondo and never did get it the way I wanted. This time I'll break out Milliput and see if that can fix the issue.

51194057618_5afda7704a_c.jpg

Its hard to see but the dip is a good MM in depth.

So that the latest, I did get my clear plastic sheet in today so I can continue on with my other project, theΒ  Sanger Oxbox in the Anything but Injection GB and this works out so the milliput has time to set , then get the other wing sorted out andbeginΒ  trying to add rivets to everything.Β  with the flat siding and soft plastic I may be able to get something to look a little more "busy" and a proper look. I did order the HGW Rivets for the bombbay doors from Hannant's, but they won't arrive for a few more weeks. So until next time any comments suggestions or critiques are always welcome. Stay safe, stay healthy and model!

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Added an over head control panel to the canopy,

51339278198_06d858edd2_c.jpg

51339789799_638f740705_c.jpg

and masked off the window panes.

51338332452_1fd59f0060_c.jpg

Gave a coating of interior green before adding the primer coat.

DidΒ the same with the bombardier glass.

51340061885_cabda11f6d_c.jpg

51339789839_8a844e3e6f_c.jpg

51339278173_b32756d0e3_c.jpg

Now its starting to look like a Privateer. I will have to fix the port Horizontal Stabilizer again. The fuselage too a tumble off the bench and it snapped off. I re-attached it but the upsweep angle is too much So it thill have to be re-broken and reattached with the proper sweep. It may be a while before the next update. Mostly because next item on the build is to go back and re-scribe damaged lines and then put all the rivet holes in I did getΒ a set of HGW raised rivet decals for the rivets on the bomb bay doors. and a new set of nose art decals. But progress IS being made and completionΒ  is in sight. So stay tuned hopefully the next update won't be as long in coming.

• Like 5

What an effort to get it to look like a Privateer!Β  Great job on this.Β  Though those vac-form engine nacelles were a treat, they are the best way to show the engines without weighing down the wings too much.

A another small update between the re-scribing and the part that is just "riveting"Β my attention . I opened up the area at the top of the nacelles for grating. I used some brass screen cut to shape and printed out a frame to go over it. The framing was too tall and had to be sanded. Any thinner and it wouldn't have printed properly.

51347206305_ff70e1e0f3_c.jpg

51346186326_ed734beaff_c.jpg

Β Once those were in place I printed out new cowl flaps.

51346931519_a3503e37a3_c.jpg

Removing the old wasn't hard as they practically fell apart on their own from age.

51346186331_a7baa74912_c.jpg

from there it was a matter of attaching 8 regular sized panels and 1 smaller one. TheΒ  smallerΒ  bracing from thin flat strip and then following up with .3mm silver beading wire forΒ the cabling. 9 panels down, 27 to go. Oh Joy...:doh: So until next time stay safe, stay healthy, and stay out of the heat ,Oh and of course, keep on modelling.:pilot:

• Like 5

Smashing work. I always love it when there are more scratch built parts in an obscure bit of a build than the were in the whole of the sort of kits we built as kids!
Β 

Presumably the cowling flaps had a spring to make them open and the cable pulled them shut? Never really thought about it before…

Β 

Regards,

Adrian

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

This is a Herculean job you've taken on, but step by step it's coming together. Really tenacious modelling, Loren!Β 

Thanks Alan. The hardest part has been handling the old vac parts. Not only fragile but want to disintegrate at the slightest provocation.

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’m enjoying this - I have the same conversion slowly moving up the pile so am taking notes.Β 
Β 

Tom

I hope the vac plastic is in better shape than mine.:cry:

45 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Smashing work. I always love it when there are more scratch built parts in an obscure bit of a build than the were in the whole of the sort of kits we built as kids!
Β 

Presumably the cowling flaps had a spring to make them open and the cable pulled them shut? Never really thought about it before…

Β 

Regards,

Adrian

THanks, I think so Adrian.I hadn't really paid any attention to the cowl flap mechanism until I did worked on a F4U Corsair for a BG a while back and came across some images that showed the inner working. I think it worked along the lines of the same type of mechanism you would have on the throttle of a lawn mower. The cable would advance(open) or retard(close) the flaps depending on where the lever was positioned.

32 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Amazing workβ€”great jobβ€”best, ErwinΒ 

Thanks ErwinΒ πŸ˜€

• Thanks 1

Moving on from the re-scribing and riveting(finally) I got the engines re-assembled and tidied up.

51355539154_fe64c9409d_c.jpg

I had used the wiring harness' form on older B-24D ProModeler I built years ago years ago to add a little something.

51355028753_b6dcb71e4a_c.jpg

Began the building the nose turret.Masking the panels then giving a coat of interior green to the interior and the framing.

51355820255_a2f32c2691_c.jpg

Interior pieces of the gun magazine cleaned up and repainted adding a gunsight and the gunners seat I removed the gun barrels like is did for the side turrets.they were soft white metal and looked like tied up spaghetti. I'll add new ones at the end to keep them from breaking off in the interim.

Finally a coat of yellow primer to the outside.

51355564899_ef160829ea_c.jpg

Speaking of yellow primer...

• Like 4

I'm trying a little experiment with the HGW rivets. In the Privateer the one place that raised rivets stand out is the bomb bay doors. They applied very well, I don't know if they will show up very well but we'll see.

51355539129_fa3d5a9eab_c.jpg

51354058892_677f965d1e_c.jpg

Once I applied those and let them dry over night I gave everything at strategic places a coat of duralumium then a coat of yellow primer followed by a coating of salt along the panel lines and high wear areas. Once I give the whale its paintjob I will brush away the salt leaving areas of wear and tear on everything.

51355539164_bd76bf35cf_c.jpg

Next step after the salt dries I'll add some pre-shading before commencing the main painting.

• Like 3

Final Update for the evening,Main Tricolour paint job done. Still have to work out why the port wing won't set fully into place. But that is a problem for tomorrow.

51354756767_5915ed987b_c.jpg

51356235904_1f180286f3_c.jpg

51355497696_3540fd26dc_c.jpg

I'll probably have to augment the salt weathering with a fine tipped brush and some aluminium paint and dark chalk to highlight the panel lines and rivets. Now it's starting to look like a real Privateer, I may finally be over the hump on this littleΒ  project.

• Like 4