1/144 Uganda Airlines CRJ 900

Ss3HHeP.jpg

BPK's 1/144 Bombardier CRJ 900 finished off in the markings of the resurgent Uganda Airlines.

The Airline recently bought four CRJ 900s and is expected to add two Airbus A330 NEOs at the end of 2020. Route expansion plans include direct flights to London, Accra, Johannesburg, Guangzhou and Mumbai.

The kit includes a transparent fuselage, full cockpit interior, resin engine intakes and exhausts, and a small sheet of etch parts (aerials, pitots, undercarriage doors and rear fuselage strakes) - Plenty of detail to keep you occupied. I finished the kit with Gunze paints and followed the painting guide on the aftermarket decal sheet from 8a Decs (sheet 7909-591), although I have a strong suspicion that the wings and tail planes should actually be white, and not grey. I was torn between the option of using the clear fuselage or the photorealistic windows included on the decal sheet. Unfortunately Fortunately, the decision was made for me after I made a mess of the cockpit paint work, and I'm pretty pleased with way that the window decals turned out 🙂.

As far as the rear fuselage/tail markings were concerned, I didn't fancy my chances at joining four decals together without join lines, so I opted to mask and paint the black/yellow/red stripes before applying the crane emblem. Speaking of which, the grey crowned-crane is the national bird of Uganda and it appears on the country's coat of arms :

gJuWuuNm.jpg

The antelope on the left is the Ugandan Kob, and as luck would have it, the decal sheet included all four registrations including 5X-KOB. It really was a no-brainer 😀 .

Anyway, now that you know more about Ugandan wildlife than you did at the start, here are the standard 4x4 pics:

5HwQdyLh.jpg

BxJJX9Fh.jpg

N1XOoKHh.jpg

XSHIhzHh.jpg

...and the profile shot :

unnq3eTh.jpg

When it came to the "with something else" shot, I couldn't resist the East African Super VC10

jEKzt09h.jpg

OZgdf5Gh.jpg

Anyhow, that's it for now. Thanks for looking and please feel free to leave any feedback/comments.

In the meantime, I'm going to head off to my next build.

P0E70wG.jpg

Best Regards

mike

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

Hi Mike,

Blimey that's nice! Very unusual livery.

I was thinking of getting one of these kits they look gorgeous.

Well done on the masking and painting of the tail colours looks like it could've been tricky getting them all even.

Those window decals do look good I think you made the right choice to mess up the clear cockpit part!

Is there writing on the belly? Any chance of an underside pic?

So what is your next build then?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Mike.

What a beauty and a lovely, unusual livery. I'm amazed at how big it looks alongside the SVC-10!  Well done :thumbsup:

How was the build? I built the BPK CRJ-100 a few months ago and liked it so much I bought the 700 and 900 to be to be finished in Lufthansa and SAS colours respectively. You've seriously tempted me to start them and I wonder if there is anything I need to look out for?

Dave G

• Like 1

Really nice job,not seen this livery before,masking looks superb and like  the shot with the VC10.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

Beautifully done!  I love the contrast between old and new.  The VC-10 does not appear overwhelmingly huge in comparison, which is surprising.

Uganda just (re?)started this airline, and we'll see how it goes this time!  I've heard Uganda is a wonderful, wonderful place, but I've only been as far south as Kenya.  Some day, perhaps!  

• Like 1

That is a real beauty Mike, it is surprising how big these 'little' jets are in real life. Many of them would outshine a Trident, DC-9, 727, 1-11 etc.

Super job on masking & painting the tail, there is no better way.

Oh and the VC-10 is gorgeous too.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mitchem said:

now that you know more about Ugandan wildlife than you did at the start, 

How very true! Was one of the reggie options for Kilo Oscar Charlie - that would have gone well with the, errr, chicken on the fin....!! 🤣

Nice to see some more pics of her, she really is a lovely jet - and I didn't appreciate from the pics in the comp slideshow just how good the flightdeck windows are! 

I think we should suggest a civvie theme for one of the next comps, be interesting to see how well the rest of them can paint shiny....!!

Lovely job again!

K

• Like 1

Hi Mike!

Absolutely beautiful! Love this kit! You have presented her quite well. I have to agree that messing up the painting of cockpit windows moving to use the photo real ones was a master move! I would love to have one of these kits, and you're inspiring me to procure one. I can imagine that the parts are quite small in 1/144, but hopefully, as you say, enough detail to keep me sharp and make the build worthwhile. Very very nice touch to add the VC-10 in the mix...she's gorgeous too! Thank for sharing....:yes:

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Blimey that's nice! Very unusual livery.

I was thinking of getting one of these kits they look gorgeous.

Well done on the masking and painting of the tail colours looks like it could've been tricky getting them all even.

Those window decals do look good I think you made the right choice to mess up the clear cockpit part!

Is there writing on the belly? Any chance of an underside pic?

So what is your next build then?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. To be honest, I was pretty gutted when I messed up the windows, as I wanted to use the masking experience as a test bed for BPK's 1/72 737. Knowing that I was going to have to resort to using the window decals, I ended up cutting each one out and applying them individually. (I'm sure we've all applied window decals at some stage, only to find out that they don't line up with the windows?)

As for the advertising on the belly, it's there in all its glory, but I had to resort to splitting the decal in the aftermarket set in order to fit around the wheel wells :

03KGGYTh.jpg

I did have a quick look for reference photos on the Internet, but the build deadline for a club competition won the day.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, Skodadriver said:

Hi Mike.

What a beauty and a lovely, unusual livery. I'm amazed at how big it looks alongside the SVC-10!  Well done :thumbsup:

How was the build? I built the BPK CRJ-100 a few months ago and liked it so much I bought the 700 and 900 to be to be finished in Lufthansa and SAS colours respectively. You've seriously tempted me to start them and I wonder if there is anything I need to look out for?

Dave G

Thanks Dave. I enjoyed the build, but the instructions were a bit vague in areas. I had a panic attack trying to work out how to shoe-horn all of the pieces into the cockpit, and then things started to go awry. It was at this stage that I messed up the windows, and I very nearly gave up. The transparent fuselage was a bit of a novelty, and I did have some issued in trying to hide up the fuselage joins. Once I got past that hurdle, it was pretty much plain-sailing until I hit the painting stage - never my favourite part of the process, Choosing an exotic scheme didn't help, but I got there in the end. The only other thing to look out for are the etched parts. They're brilliant but probably a bit over-engineered? Each Main gear door was made up of four parts, and I had to scuttle off to the Internet for reference, as the instructions were none too clear. The kit decals worked a treat, and I used the door markings and all of the stencils.

P.S. Be careful with the winglets! They're perfectly scaled and very thin, but I can't tell you the number of times that I bumped them during the build. In the end, I resorted to making plasticard splints in order to protect them. (The good news is that because it's a plastic/plastic joint, they're more robust than plastic/resin, but having said that, it was getting to the point where I was expecting the tips of the winglets to snap off with the next bump).

To be honest, I'd be more than happy to have a crack at the SAS CRJ 900, and I've even toyed around with the idea of the 1/72 version. Unfortunately, the site of bulging ceiling panels provides a constant reminder as to how many other kits are already being stored in our loft.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:27 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  I love the contrast between old and new.  The VC-10 does not appear overwhelmingly huge in comparison, which is surprising.

Uganda just (re?)started this airline, and we'll see how it goes this time!  I've heard Uganda is a wonderful, wonderful place, but I've only been as far south as Kenya.  Some day, perhaps!  

Thanks TJK. I've never been to Uganda myself, but after having spent many years in Southern Africa, I still have a soft spot for the continent.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, keefr22 said:

I think we should suggest a civvie theme for one of the next comps, be interesting to see how well the rest of them can paint shiny....!!

Thanks Keith. I'd love to see Dr E. finish five in time for the next comp, but let's face it, there just wouldn't be enough milk to have with all of that cereal. 🤣 

On 10/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, Hawkers Finest said:

Wot no cheat line😋.Well tidy mun.

Regards

Hawkers Finest

Good to hear from you again. Seems like ages. You'll be pleased to know that I've started working on something with a cheatline to die for. 🤣

On 10/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

Hi Mike!

Absolutely beautiful! Love this kit! You have presented her quite well. I have to agree that messing up the painting of cockpit windows moving to use the photo real ones was a master move! I would love to have one of these kits, and you're inspiring me to procure one. I can imagine that the parts are quite small in 1/144, but hopefully, as you say, enough detail to keep me sharp and make the build worthwhile. Very very nice touch to add the VC-10 in the mix...she's gorgeous too! Thank for sharing....:yes:

Thanks. I have to admit that the CRJ 900 really grew on me - kind of like a DC-9 that had been on an extensive diet. This video provided the rest of the inspiration Uganda Airlines first CRJ 900 in Montreal

Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, 11bravo said:

Great job, those window decals really bring her to life.   Where did you get those?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The window decals came with the markings from 8aDecs. I took the time out to apply each passenger window individually, as I wasn’t prepared to take the chance of having a strip of window decals misalign with the indentations on the fuselage. Of course, this raised the risk of ending up with a crooked line of windows. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...