1/48 DH60 Cirrus Moth

Hi all 

Here's my rendition of this charming aircraft using the A model kit.  The plastic is quite hard and broke about six of my. 35 mm drills drilling the rigging holes.  Goes together quite well and turned out an enjoyable build. 

I have added lap belts to the seats along with Milliput cushions.  The front control stick has been placed in the Stowed position on the stb side of the forward cockpit.  Fuel line from lead wire and photo Etch aileron, elevator and Rudder actuator points added. Also added exhaust straps from photo Etch fret.

Rigged with invisible thread and brush painted with Humbrol enamels.  Decals are from the kit and went on very well. Love the little AA badge on the Stb engine cowling panel

I started this a few years ago and it stalled so wanted to build a few stalled builds like my last ones the Tiggie and Seahawk,  the Sptfire Vb and Stearman I am currently doing, oh and a Camel is now involved.  I have to say picking them up again work seems to progress quite quickly anyway, enough chatting some pics below. 

I am very pleased with this and may consider a Gypsy Moth in the future

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 40

Very nice build only wish had another 100years of life to complete all of my builds plus another one now. OK 101 years please. Pat yourself on the back or have a drink to celebrate an excellent build.

sammy

• Thanks 1

WOW Chris that is gorgeous mate,....... love the colours and I do like the Cirrus Moth anyway and you have totally got it off to a tee,...... a very special model!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

That would look special in any model display.  I don't know Amodel kits at all but you have produced a winner there.  Does the AA badge suggest concerns about the reliability of the engine I wonder?

Thanks Colin, the Amodel kits are like limited run kits really and have quite nice details  though testing of fit as you go will pay dividens.  I love the AA badge on the cowling. I have not read why it is on there.  Maybe a previous incident or owner humour ???

10 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very well done. I'm especially impressed with the rigging. That would have driven me to insanity.

Thanks SAT69,  very kind.  The rigging is not too bad, I used invisible thread secured in a shallow hole in one wing and this was put through a hole in the other wing right through. CA'd in place and the excess cut off.  Any slight sags were taken out by holing a hot soldering iron near by , it tightens up immediately.   

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very nice! 

Thank you dnl42

9 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

What a delightful build Chris. You should be chuffed to bits with this, and rightfully so!

Thanks Mike very kind, I am very chuffed with it .  I seem to be on a bit of a biplane kick at the moment.  It's always such a good feeling when the rigging goes on.

9 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Very nice build only wish had another 100years of life to complete all of my builds plus another one now. OK 101 years please. Pat yourself on the back or have a drink to celebrate an excellent build.

sammy

Thak you Sammy  very kind , I did have a celebratory Whisky and coke when finished.  I know what you mean I look at my stash and wonder how many I will get to build !!!

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

WOW Chris that is gorgeous mate,....... love the colours and I do like the Cirrus Moth anyway and you have totally got it off to a tee,...... a very special model!

Cheers

Tony

Wow thank you Tony, very kind of you and this means a lot coming from a brilliant modeller as yourself. They are completely charming aircraft.  I would love to do the Gypsy Moth May be. 

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

She's a real beauty - you should be proud of that! Great work,

Cheers,

Roger

Thank you Roger for your kind comments and your support during my build, I very much appreciate that and it means a lot.  I am very much looking forward to your fantastic Lysander coming to fruition,  that looks amazing fella. 

I  promise that I will be getting back on with the Spitfire although I have added a Camel to the build tgread too!!!

4 hours ago, kapam said:

Lovely!

A real museum piece, if I may describe it so!:clap2:

Being an Amodel kit, it proves you don't mind investing some extra skill and care.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kapam, very kind.  I was a bit concerned when I picked it up again as I had seen threads on the kits where it said they seem to be resistant to glue, but I never encountered that, although it did fold up on me when I got the lower wing and fuselage struts on .  Tgat was testing!!!

1 hour ago, Moa said:

A beautiful model of a very charming plane, Chris!

A pleasure to look at that skilled modeling job.

Cheers

Thank you Moa, very kind of you, I appreciate that from such a master modeller, Sensai.   I think you have been secretly influencing me with your beautiful builds and Jedi mind waves.  

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

That's a really nice model of the Shuttleworth Moth.  :goodjob:

Thanks Mike, very kind.  It was lovely looking at all of the photos of the Moth and there are quite a lot online.   I noticed a few differences with it that I didn't add such as the elevator control which has been modernised on the real aircraft but left as per the kit with Cables.  .

Thanks everyone 

Chris

• Like 2

I have this kit in my stash and can't wait to build it. Great job !   A-Model made several of the Moth variants in 1/48s and now seem hard to find, so perhaps sold out?   

• Thanks 1

That's a lovely rendition of a classic aeroplane, typically De Havilland ! Since it's kitted in the correct size, reckon I'll treat myself to one.

If I recall correctly from my spotting days as a spotty youth, the original, now at Shuttleworth, was based at Denham in the 60's. Strange how some reg. marks stay in the memory.

Nowadays, I can't remember what happened yesterday.

Rog

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mike c said:

That's very nice indeed, I might have to track one down and have a go. I made some Amodel kits years ago and they were made of weird hard plastic as I recall.

Thanks Mike, yes they are, broke all 6 of my remaining 0.35mm drill bits drilling for the Rigging.  Had to use a 0.4 mm but and blunted one of those too.

7 hours ago, Airgunner said:

That’s beautifully done, love those inter-war biplanes. Couldn’t do one myself, far too fiddly. 

Thanks AG.  They are lovely I used to think the same but gave a simple one a go and now have built a few now and mainly find them enjoyable. Give one a try.

7 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Truly exceptional work! Well done sir!

TT

Thank you  TT, very kind of you.

6 hours ago, AMB said:

I have this kit in my stash and can't wait to build it. Great job !   A-Model made several of the Moth variants in 1/48s and now seem hard to find, so perhaps sold out?   

Thanks AMB, very kind.  They do seem thin on the ground now, I wish I had got the  Gypsy Moth kit although there are some on Ebay.

6 hours ago, roginoz said:

That's a lovely rendition of a classic aeroplane, typically De Havilland ! Since it's kitted in the correct size, reckon I'll treat myself to one.

If I recall correctly from my spotting days as a spotty youth, the original, now at Shuttleworth, was based at Denham in the 60's. Strange how some reg. marks stay in the memory.

Nowadays, I can't remember what happened yesterday.

Rog

Thanks Rog very kind of you, you have to love all the DH machines.  Yes it is strange what you remember from days of old and not recently!!!

Go on and treat yourself fella.  

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

That's a really great model biplane, Chris -

Also makes a change from the usual DH Tiger Moth

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave very kind, my last Biplane build was a Tiggie,  it did take me 5 years on and off!!!

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A truly beautiful Moth!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, very kind of you.

Thanks everyone 

Chris

Ok nobody has said it yet so i will , YOU CANNOT BE CIRRUS :hanging:joking a side thats one lovely looking Moth , I built the Amy Johnson version

and i found it was not an easy ride the fit of parts around the engine being a pain to fit but got there in the end.  :goodjob:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Ok nobody has said it yet so i will , YOU CANNOT BE CIRRUS :hanging:joking a side thats one lovely looking Moth , I built the Amy Johnson version

and i found it was not an easy ride the fit of parts around the engine being a pain to fit but got there in the end.  :goodjob:

🤣 Very good Keith.  Thank you, you are very kind.  Yes I recall lots of test fitting and the fit is definitely not as positive as some kits.  Would like to do that one one day.  

Thanks Keith 

Chris