Revell/Hasegawa Phantom FGR2 1/48

A long time since I built a Hasegawa F-4 but just as good as I remember.  The weak points are the cockpit (although still better then the much newer Academy kits IMHO) & a lack of stores (where the Academy kit is better IMHO).  Anyway, I used the Aries cockpit which once you can get it to fit is a vast improvement although the etched seat belts were a real problem for me & I ended up with a pretty poor representation!  Also from Aires are the jet nozzles which are far better than the kit parts but are very hard to fit, being much longer them the kit's plastic offerings.  It's necessary to remove material from the flat bottom of each fuselage half (hidden by the lower wing when in place) & thin the plastic & I though that would be it BUT, they then foul the recesses for the auxiliary intakes that are present on the fuselage sides & peculiar to UK Phantoms.  After puzzling over this I could discern no option but to shorten the internal tubes by about an inch!  I wanted full colour markings so got hold of a Model Alliance sheet for RAF Germany with those for a 17 Squadron machine, RAF Bruggen in 1972.  The decal sheet instructions show this machine fitted with the strike camera so that's what I did, but LOST the front glazing part!!

IMG_1059

IMG_1058 IMG_1062

IMG_1061 IMG_1057 IMG_1060

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I agree regarding the cockpit and seats. Exceptionally well done. Beautiful model overall. That's one to be very proud of.

What a phantastic phantom,..... especially in its 17 Sqn colours,...... superb model and superb choice of markings,..... what`s not to like?

Nice one Graham,

Cheers

Tony

Hi Graham. Looks good, and your seats are excellent to my eye. You mentioned your loss of the glazed part for the strike camera....I'm building this kit at the moment and won't be using that part so if you PM me your address it's yours.

Q

1 hour ago, reggie78usmc said:

Looks amazing.  I am a big fan of the revell/has kit.  And i know what you mean about the academy kit's cockpit. (it doesn't fit without shaving bulkheads and instrument panels. )

I’ve heard that the Aires cockpit requires a lot of thinning of the kit fuselage sides to the point where they become translucent in order to get it to fit, also that their exhausts are too small in diameter, being closer to that of the J-79.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

I’ve heard that the Aires cockpit requires a lot of thinning of the kit fuselage sides to the point where they become translucent in order to get it to fit, also that their exhausts are too small in diameter, being closer to that of the J-79.

I've done 2 rev/has kits and have built them oob.  never used the aires kit on either the academy or rev/has kit.  i found many fit issues with the academy kit but the detail is very good

19 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Hi Graham. Looks good, and your seats are excellent to my eye. You mentioned your loss of the glazed part for the strike camera....I'm building this kit at the moment and won't be using that part so if you PM me your address it's yours.

Q

Thanks very much but I found it this afternoon whilst clearing the bench for the next project!

• Like 1