Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 16/02/2021 at 08:18, Bullbasket said:

the one that appeals to me is the Leyland Hippo. I've got David Janes 1/35th scale drawings, and I just need to find someone who makes some resin wheels.

 

Are you aware of this one John? Maybe they could supply some wheels.

https://www.wespemodels.com/military_models/military_models_scale_1_35/scale_1_35_leyland/leyland_hippo_mkii_wes_35028

 

Wayne

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

 

Are you aware of this one John? Maybe they could supply some wheels.

https://www.wespemodels.com/military_models/military_models_scale_1_35/scale_1_35_leyland/leyland_hippo_mkii_wes_35028

 

Wayne

Thanks for that Wayne. I didn't even know that they made 1/35th vehicles.I thought that they were only 1/72nd. I'll send them an email and see what they say.

Thanks again.

 

John.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A beautiful build, love it :thumbsup:

 

I vote a Cromwell build, they always look really good, and if you fancy some scratch work then just scratch a new engine deck and side opening hatch maybe.

 

 Matt

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

A beautiful build, love it :thumbsup:

 

I vote a Cromwell build, they always look really good, and if you fancy some scratch work then just scratch a new engine deck and side opening hatch maybe.

 

 Matt

Thanks a lot Matt. Yes, another Cromwell does appeal, but I've already done the one that you mention;

I've got a couple of Crusaders sitting in the cupboard, and also a 1/48th Charioteer. The only thing stopping me from doing the last one is markings. I'll mull it over while I'm painting the two figures for this build.

 

John.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now it’s time to source some figures. This is Abraham and Benjamin. 

I’ve discovered that I am running out of usable figures. Or more to the point, usable heads. I’ve got a couple for this build, but after that it’s a case of sourcing some more. The two figures that I’m using for this tank are from Tamiya’s M51 kit and Academy’s M51also (appropriately enough). In all honesty, the detail on the Academy figures is surprisingly good, especially the hands and fingers. But the heads had to go, and so I used my last two suitable Hornet heads. The necks were drilled out and the heads inserted into said holes, along with some super glue gel.

611671b6-d26f-4e0d-9973-f9896dae2d4a.JPG

 

For the second figure, the torso is from the Tamiya M51, and the arms are from the Tamiya M1 Super Sherman. He turned out to be a bit tall for the hatch, so I lopped him off just below the waist. He seems to be doing Tommy Cooper impressions.

a5b65e72-ad1d-4c07-b012-3db4e9b703d3.JPG

As these are half figures, I had to think about how to position them in the hatches, and what could be seen inside the turret, once they were in place. The answer was, there was a bit of a void, so the way that I got around this was to cut two pieces of black card to shape, and glue them over the two circular stands that Tamiya give for their crews.. Anything not covered was painted black.

Ooooh! I wince every time I see that cocktail stick!

Thanks for looking.

 

John.

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks a lot Matt. Yes, another Cromwell does appeal, but I've already done the one that you mention;

 

  Very nice indeed John, and I have to say that is a fantastic build log that goes with it, some very useful deck information and some lovely detail scratch work.

 

 I have been struggling for inspiration these last few years with regards to starting a new project, and after looking at your build log I now have Charioteer with a scratched turret rattling around in my head ;)

 

 Matt 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

 

  Very nice indeed John, and I have to say that is a fantastic build log that goes with it, some very useful deck information and some lovely detail scratch work.

 

 I have been struggling for inspiration these last few years with regards to starting a new project, and after looking at your build log I now have Charioteer with a scratched turret rattling around in my head ;)

 

 Matt 

Thanks Matt. It was a build which I enjoyed. By talking about this, you've jogged my mind and I may do another as my next build. I have AA's "D" deck replacement, so I might use that this time.

The Charioteer is also in my sights, but I think that I'd like to tackle the Greg Beuchler conversion first.

 

John. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I'd like to tackle the Greg Beuchler conversion first.

I'm intrigued, what's that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

I'm intrigued, what's that?

It's this.

c0daef56-828e-43af-aa2b-3ac6d8d2e970.JPG

 

It's Greg Beuchler's 1/48th conversion for the Charioteer, using the Tamiya Cromwell lower hull. It looks quite nicely done. I did say a few posts back, that I needed to source some markings, without realising that there are some included.

 

John.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

 So a Charioteer is basically an F type deck, side opening hatch, a raised, enlarged turret ring, plus wider tracks, and then the new turret (obv)

 

 But, has the turret ring also been pushed forward slightly?

 

 Matt

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

 So a Charioteer is basically an F type deck, side opening hatch, a raised, enlarged turret ring, plus wider tracks, and then the new turret (obv)

 

 But, has the turret ring also been pushed forward slightly?

 

 Matt

Give me a couple of hours, and I'll have a look. I think that I may have some drawings.

 

John.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

 So a Charioteer is basically an F type deck, side opening hatch, a raised, enlarged turret ring, plus wider tracks, and then the new turret (obv)

 

 But, has the turret ring also been pushed forward slightly?

 

 Matt

Right, I've had a look at my (very) meager reference material on the Charioteer, and still not sure. Looking at the drawings (and they can be suspect, as they are in one of the Tank Power books), the 25pdr turret sat on a new turret ring, but it seems to be no further forward than the Cromwell's. The engine deck does appear to be based on an "F" mark, but looking at the Belcher conversion, it has a couple of extra panels each side. And yes, the RH forward hatch is side opening and it had 15.5" tracks. I'll have to dig deeper to come up with any more info.

 

John.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 3:44 AM, Bullbasket said:

 

It's Greg Beuchler's 1/48th conversion for the Charioteer, using the Tamiya Cromwell lower hull. It looks quite nicely done. I did say a few posts back, that I needed to source some markings, without realising that there are some included.

 

John.

Who is Greg Beuchler? That is MY conversion, Mike Belcher :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Who is Greg Beuchler? That is MY conversion, Mike Belcher :)

Mike, I can only apologise and put it down to a failing (and ancient) memory. 

But........while I have (hopefully) still got your attention, can you help me out with something please? I'm assuming that these vehicles were built on hulls with F type engine decks, but yours seems to have an extra panel each side. Did these vehicles have a slightly different configuration to the late Cromwells?

Once again, apologies for my mistake.

 

John.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Another quality build John, looking forward to seeing the crew take shape mate. :thumbsup:

 

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

The figures look nice John, I will follow along. 

Thanks both. I appreciate the comments.

 

John.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The engine deck does appear to be based on an "F" mark, but looking at the Belcher conversion, it has a couple of extra panels each side.

 

 That's kinda why I was wondering whether or not the turret ring has been pushed forward slightly.

 

 Matt

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really really nice work, John! 


Am I seeing correctly that you didn't do washes accumulating around the recessed details? Its kind of refreshing to see this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

...yours seems to have an extra panel each side. Did these vehicles have a slightly different configuration to the late Cromwells?

 

John

As far as I know, they were built on standard Cromwell hulls, with a slightly larger turret ring added to the hull top. I'm not sure what extra panel you are referring to, unless its the spacer added underneath the ring on both sides?

Mike B

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 19:04, belcherbits said:

John

As far as I know, they were built on standard Cromwell hulls, with a slightly larger turret ring added to the hull top. I'm not sure what extra panel you are referring to, unless its the spacer added underneath the ring on both sides?

Mike B

'Morning Mike. Apologies for the delay in answering you, but I'm up to my neck in converting a barn into a hobby room.

Here are a couple of photos indicating my query.

ed48688d-f471-4f2b-9b16-2310d710bff8.jpg468d406c-3d9c-4b2e-89b7-caafb0e6bbbb.JPG

This is the panel line that I was talking about. I just wondered if they made some kind of modification to the panels, and made them two instead of one, maybe for easier access?

 

John.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 18:11, SoftScience said:

Really really nice work, John! 


Am I seeing correctly that you didn't do washes accumulating around the recessed details? Its kind of refreshing to see this. 

Thanks very much for the comment. You're correct. If at all possible, I tend not to do washes, mainly because I'm not very successful with them. What I do use is a product which was originally made for model railway builders, Carr's Modelling Powders. They're still made today (mine are more than 30 years old). What I like about them is that they have a slightly oily consistency, which makes the powders adhere better, and you can build the effect up. 

 

John.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 4:19 AM, Bullbasket said:

Here are a couple of photos indicating my query.

ed48688d-f471-4f2b-9b16-2310d710bff8.jpg468d406c-3d9c-4b2e-89b7-caafb0e6bbbb.JPG

This is the panel line that I was talking about. I just wondered if they made some kind of modification to the panels, and made them two instead of one, maybe for easier access?

John

I don't know the reason for the split, but even though topside photos are rare, I found there was a relatively small photo on p.23 of 'Wheels and Tracks No.60' where David Fletcher covers the development of the Charioteer. This photo shows a line in that location, and I suppose that is why I made the master that way. The exact details are lost in history, I guess.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/02/2021 at 20:40, belcherbits said:

John

I don't know the reason for the split, but even though topside photos are rare, I found there was a relatively small photo on p.23 of 'Wheels and Tracks No.60' where David Fletcher covers the development of the Charioteer. This photo shows a line in that location, and I suppose that is why I made the master that way. The exact details are lost in history, I guess.

Hi Mike,

I've got a feeling that you could be correct on this. I've got one of the Tank Power books, which covers both the Charioteer and the Challenger, and it it there is a photo showing that area, and there is a definite line where you've indicated in the kit. Daft thing is though, on their 1/35th drawings in the book, the deck is the same as a Cromwell lV D......but we all know how unreliable drawings can be. Maybe someone like @Mike Starmer could shed some light.

Anyway, back to the build. I finally got around to finishing off the two figures. Not crazy about the way they look, but they're basically there for scale effect.

b6b20b41-48e8-4680-ab3d-1dc0841492f7.JPG

 

Then, once they were in place, and I fixed the .50cal. MG in place, I realised that the loader could hardly see over the top. He'll just have to stand on tippy toe!

c15c204a-f4a5-480a-9cfd-a8b1826d1027.JPG

 

I think that I've gone as far as I intend to with this one. Just an aerial to add and retouch the rear light, and then it's going into RFI. Thanks for everyone who has commented or posted a like.

 

John.

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...