With the M1 Super Sherman nearing completion, I needed a new project to keep me occupied when it’s not possible to work outside. I’ve already got two M51s in my collection, a Batch 2 (Beth) and a Batch 4 (Dalet). The Batch 3 (Gimmel) has always appealed to me as unlike all of the other M51s, it’s not an M4A1 conversion, but an M4A3. There is no kit of this tank, so it’s going to be a conversion. The base kit for this is Tamiya’s Easy 8, Korean version. This one has the correct tracks (T80) whereas the European version has the T60 tracks.

2201c980-72ba-40d8-a25f-70201b580580.jpg

When I did a 1/35th scale M1 Super Sherman a couple of years ago, I used Tamiya’s M51 as a basis. The turret, main gun, gun mantlet and engine deck weren’t needed from that kit, so they were kept, to be used in a conversion such as this. The engine deck will only require the minimum of alteration.

4928b48d-c7b5-4959-9e0e-9f93ddc4d146.JPG

c3bfca7b-edf0-44e5-962d-51a71f5d4366.JPG

The kit includes the jerry can racks, but they are a little on the thick side and have the jerry cans moulded with them, so I decided to use etched brass. Eduard do a set for the Academy kit of the M51 and most of the parts will fit (except the grouser vent mesh). I’ll need to get another etched set as I’ve used the jerry can racks from this one on the last build.

e19af027-5f79-4b1c-9272-715d6ecf57b4.JPG

With all the problems that I had sourcing decals for the M1 build, this one is the opposite, as I have a choice. Both Sabingamartin and Star Decals do a sheet which covers this tank, but I am going to try and obtain the Sabingamartin one as the Star one appears to have left off some of the markings from the glacis plate.

This is the tank that I will be building. The only problem that I can see is sourcing the .50 cal machine gun. I’m hoping that by just leaving off the perforated shield at the base of the barrel and shortening it will do the job. Anyway, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

29ae2782-8aa6-46d4-9aca-fbe32d897114.jpg

So there you have it. I’m just laying down a marker for this one so don’t expect much to happen on this thread for a while as I’ve only just ordered the kit and it won’t be here for about 10 days. It was a bit of bargain from Model Hobbies. Just under £40, including p&p. Hannants wanted £42 plus p&p.

John.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

The only problem that I can see is sourcing the .50 cal machine gun. I’m hoping that by just leaving off the perforated shield at the base of the barrel and shortening it will do the job.

You can get one of those from the Academy U.S heavy weapons set........        https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/academy-135-us-ww11-machine-gun-set/

spacer.png

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Another Sherman John :thumbsup: 

I’ve got the WW2 version of the same base kit and it’s a nice bit of kit, again a quality bit of Tamiya engineering. 

Yes. I can never have enough Shermans. I did a lot of research with regards to which kit to use and this one came out on top for me for a few reasons. I did look at the Tasca/Asuka version, but some of the prices dealers were asking were ridiculous. One wanted £68!! A bit steep for a kit that I intend to butcher, and only use about  two thirds. Plus, working tracks do nothing for me, certainly not in this case.

John.

15 hours ago, M3talpig said:

You can get one of those from the Academy U.S heavy weapons set.......

15 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Or a set of these John 

Thanks both of you for that info. It's really useful. I may end up getting both.

John.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Great idea! I love IDF Sherman. I'll follow you with great interest, as usual 😉.

Ciao

Filippo

Glad to have you along Filippo.

13 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Another Sherman John, haven't you done one before...

At least your back to a proper scale, good man!

Yes, one or two. I'm giving the smaller scale a rest for a while, so that my eyes can recover.

John.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, one or two. I'm giving the smaller scale a rest for a while, so that my eyes can recover.

You've done a couple, that many,  you'll be getting a name as some sort of enthusiast!

• Haha 1

Damn.  That's another one I can knock off my ever-decreasing IDF Sherman build list for a while.........!  I also have the Tamiya M51 turret and engine deck parts left over from my still-unfinished Chilean M50, and planned to cross them with a Tamiya M4A3E8 too.

There were only about a dozen welded-hull M51's, all of which IIRC had previously been M1 Shermans (i.e M4A3E8 with the radial engine conversion) but were not upgraded to Super Shermans with HVSS along the way.

The AN/M2 aircraft MG was essentially the same weapon as the M2HB. The AN in the designation meant Army Navy, but Army in that context meant USAAC.  Certainly in 1/35 you won't see any differences such as the ability for solenoid firing and a higher rate of fire.  IIRC the air-cooled barrel could be fitted to the M2HB as long as the matching barrel extension was fitted to adapt it to the receiver group.

I have a couple of spare brass AN/M2 air-cooled barrels, Master or RB.  PM me your address and I'll send one your way. 

MR Modellbau do a 105mm barrel for the M51: unfortunately my spare one is on eBay right now and already has bids.  A Russian D-10 barrel for the SU-100 or T-54 is almost exactly the right length and profile (and cheaper and easier to find!), but without the step for fitting the muzzle brake.

Edited by Das Abteilung
Correction
  • Thanks 1

I can't say I understand all the technicalities of your opening post but it looks very interesting and the markings look very cool so I will be following with interest.

On the subject of good prices for model kits then Plaza Japan are an excellent source with great service and relatively quick delivery.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 17:47, M3talpig said:

You can get one of those from the Academy U.S heavy weapons set........        https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/academy-135-us-ww11-machine-gun-set/

On 01/10/2020 at 17:59, Dads203 said:

16 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I have a couple of spare brass AN/M2 air-cooled barrels, Master or RB.  PM me your address and I'll send one your way. 

Well, this turned in to a bit of a farce. First I tried to order the Master set from Hannants and the cost fell just below their minimum price by a few pence, so it meant that I needed to order something that I didn't want, just to reach their minimum cost. So then I tried Wonderland Models for the Academy set. They wanted £15 p&p to ship a £6 item to France. Bolleaux!! So after trawling around, I found this from Aber http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/In35_L81_browning_anm2_p_1.pdf A quick look at the Historex site to confirm that they had them, and the outcome of it is that they should be on their way to me soon.

Thanks for the offer Peter, and thanks for the info regarding the MR Modellbau, and the IDF 105mm. I may just order that.

John.

• Like 3

On 03/10/2020 at 09:35, Bullbasket said:

They wanted £15 p&p to ship a £6 item to France. Bolleaux!!

There taking the royal wee wee...the box for that set is tiny .....and it weighs nothing ....... £15 my big hairy ......... :rant:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

There taking the royal wee wee...the box for that set is tiny .....and it weighs nothing ....... £15 my big hairy ......... :rant:

They certainly are. Neh bother though, as I've just received an email from Historex to say that the Aber short barrel .50 cal. guns are on their way. Also, just spoke with the good Dr. Robert, and the decals are also on their way. It's all coming together.

John.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, M3talpig said:

....... £15 my big hairy ......... :rant:

13 hours ago, Longbow said:

Cranium ?

Thank goodness for Lee, almost had the most horrific mental image, you can't unsee that stuff!

Just tried looking for .50 barrels and they do appear to be in short supply, saying that looking on the RB site and they have run out of a lot of stuff...

Daft thing is, I don't actually need  a .50 barrel at present, just with seeing some recently they look so good....

But come on John we aren't seeing much progress, I know you have a little touch up job to do on barn or lean to but really, commitment....

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

But come on John we aren't seeing much progress, I know you have a little touch up job to do on barn or lean to but really, commitment...

It's a little difficult to work on a kit that is in transit between the UK and France. But now that the M1 S.Sherman is finished, I can make a start on the turret, which I do have. Watch this space.

John.

• Haha 2