Old school Revell B-17F 1:72 kit

spacer.png

An old and flawed kit, but one that has a special place in the memory banks for me – when I was 12 we were told we could have a home made mascot on our desks for end of primary school exams. I persuaded my parents to get me a Flying Fortress model kit for my 13th birthday and by exam season it was ready. Despite my teachers’ horror at such an oversized mascot, they were amused enough at the odd child with the plane to let it slide, and it sat on my desk proudly for my entire Common Entrance exams (which went well enough to get into the school I wanted).

Despite many moves since, I still have the old B-17 ‘Memphis Belle’ sat in my workshop at aged 30, looking more than a little tired. So I figured since I’d got back into model making after a 10 year absence about 3 years ago; it would be a nice thing to find the same very old Revell kit and make it again – to keep the old and the new side by side.

I don’t normally do 1:72 scale as I find weathering effects tricky when going below 1:48, and the detail starts to go. Am really pleasantly surprised by how this came out though – despite the atrocious kit transparencies, lackluster detail which necessitated quite a bit of scratch built detail near the windows, and the strange panel texture on the nose. One issue was right at the end, I dropped superglue on the right wing when trying to rig up the radio aerials, which left a very ugly mark and meant I had to eventually sand down and paint over the whole panel. I couldn’t match the colour or weathering again so I tried instead to represent a battle-damage replacement panel with un-faded Olive Drab.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Short video build summary video is available on my YouTube channel if folk are interested - BritFlyer. 

Edited by Britflyer
Removing link which was against guidelines
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

A lovely pair of B-17’s. 
Well done👏👏👏

I built the Matchbox one as a kid. Only thing I remember clearly is the aircraft name - Kwiturbichin II handpainted Humbrol silver (and it showed!😆).

For some reason I built another - can’t remember any details about it - but it was 35 odd years ago.

Both were destroyed when my drunk brothers found my stored models in my mum’s loft and test flew them all out of the upstairs window - even the tanks (idiots).

Happy to say, I’ve now got two more in my collection.

First is an early Airfix B17-G which I bought for a restoration project which has been returned to its former glory.

The second is another “Airfix ‘B17-G but the new tool version again for restoration- even more so now since the previous owner packaged it in a Rice Crispies cereal box for its journey through the post with the inevitable results. Apparently it was packaged with wings attached - still can’t figure out how - but they were all off when it arrived!

• Like 1

Looks fantastic, you have the camouflage off to a tee and the red outlined bars and stars look great,......  very well done indeed,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Very nice work, although @theplasticsurgeon is correct.

Your "Shamrock Special" looks to be based on the relatively recent Revell tooling; whereas your "Memphis Belle" is probably the "ancient" mid-60's release.

Having said that, you've done an excellent job of both!

Excellent shading and exhaust staining on the "Shamrock"!

:clap2:

• Thanks 1