Should Plastic Kits be Banned?

No, I don't think so, but since today in the UK single-use plastic straws, cotton buds and stirrers become banned I was wondering how long it would be before 'they' came after plastic kits, which by definition are single use in that you only build them once.

Perhaps now is the time to think of the reasons for retaining them?

• Like 1

No they should not be banned,  however I find it difficult to justify the numerous extra parts that now come with most kits .

A compromise could be to reduce construction options  in one box.  options without parts like engines  and parts for variants to come in future boxing would help reduce waste plastic.

Maybe extra costs would be incurred by manufacturers but that's better than being made an obsolete industry if plastic kits are banned.

The plastic kits in Christmas crackers should be banned  asap

• Like 1

Well I was going to suggest that they tend to be collected so don't end up as waste - and then I remembered how many of mine detoured from the display shelf to the rubbish bin!

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Mottlemaster said:

Maybe extra costs would be incurred by manufacturers

=passed on to consumer,

I wonder if this is ever likely to really become an issue? How much plastic does the industry produce compared to all other uses of plastic? I just don't have a feel for this ... I suspect it's extremely low, perhaps less than the amount used to produce Lego bricks. But of course real impact is quite different to political impact, and perhaps there is a threat if the general public becomes more evangelical about plastic use

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

I have always looked on my stash as a form of "carbon capture" and now it's also a form of "plastic capture".

Save the world - buy more kits.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Although model kits are single-use plastics, they tend to remain "locked up" (for want of a better phrase) for a comparatively long time compared to throwaway items such as coffee stirrers, drink lids, etc. And in the scheme of things, model kits are probably a tiny fraction compared to everything else. It's not like you can make them out of anything else either, resin excepted.

When you think of all the unnecessary packaging and the awful plastic crap you get at Halloween, Christmas and various other times we get marketed at, I think we have a long way to go before we need to worry. And this coming from someone who is "a bit of a greenie."

What we probably ought to have is a joined-up recycling scheme, and by this I mean worldwide. Some nations seem to be able to turn a profit by recycling waste, so one might wonder why, if they can do it, why can't we?

If pollution is an issue that affects the entire planet, maybe a bit of cooperation might be in order. After all, we all stand to benefit.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

It's not like you can make them out of anything else either,

Not true - the original model kits were wooden, and it is quite possible (though a lot more work) to build really nice kits from wood and metal (I have a wooden ship on the go ... for about 10 years).

All you need are some really good plans. 

Cheers,

Colin

15 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

What we probably ought to have is a joined-up recycling scheme, and by this I mean worldwide. Some nations seem to be able to turn a profit by recycling waste, so one might wonder why, if they can do it, why can't we?

Labour costs.  Transport costs.  Cost of living in general.  That's apart from the health and safety issues involved in reclaiming some of the rarer metals from electronics.  I suspect that most of the matter which goes to "recycling" in those countries actually ends up dumped.

You know what happened out here when they banned single use plastic bags? Every company just printed "re-useable" on their bags and carried on. A total farce. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can’t help thinking that the filing and sanding we do to our models contributes to the ‘micro plastic’ pollution in the environment. As for recycling, why can’t I put my finished with sprues  in the recycling bin? After all they are good, clean, suitable for recycling, hard plastic.

Shelves of Doom should be adapted so that models placed on them will biodegrade within five years.

Dave

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

As for recycling, why can’t I put my finished with sprues in the recycling bin? After all they are good, clean, suitable for recycling, hard plastic.

My guess would be because your local authority hasn't got the facility to recycle all types of plastic.

Have had the argument with recycling officers in six County authorities, instead of going with the path of least resistance, i.e. the truth,

they, as a collective, tried more than a little 'flannel'. Unfortunatly, for them, I knew different, having worked for a company who had been

recycling  plastics since the late '80's

• Like 1

"Should Plastic Kits be Banned?"

🤔

The topic was launched with the support of the "Association of Evil Wives of Modelers." !

😉😁😁😁

"Ahh....my husband makes plastic models illegally! I need a divorce lawyer ... and Your Honor, burn him along with his models!"

😁😁😁

Learn to see the true reasons, and not some kind of environmental concern!

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 4

It's probably not even a good idea to put this concept out there.  Someone with a stick up their butts might see it and think "ackshually...." and do it.  Mind you, I've seen some idiots that don't think further forward than their next breath do some incredibly stupid things to spite other people, without realising that if they were successful they'd be wide open to being affected too.  Dim doesn't begin to cover it, so who knows? :mental:

Stashes are sequestered carbon deposits, so they should be encouraged :)

• Like 9
39 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

The topic was launched with the support of the "Association of Evil Wives of Modelers." !

Not at all ... the Evil wives association actually created the modelling hobby to keep us away from bars, betting shops and loose women.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Amount of plastic used by scale model-manufacturers in one year = 1 "Unit".

Amount of plastic used by all other industries = Many, many MILLIONS of Units (and growing every day).

So, in answer to the original question..... No, they shouldn't be banned. 

Chris.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ckw said:

Not at all ... the Evil wives association actually created the modelling hobby to keep us away from bars, betting shops and loose women.

Cheers

Colin

Isn’t that why we all go to Telford?

• Haha 3

Would be nice if we could do something with all the sprues. I have lots of them but have a large box full and don't know how to melt them into anything. Where I am, the recycling takes so little and is very picky. Certain plastics and bags don't get collected. One store collects bags, that's it. I also find it interesting that car and truck modellers will sell off their parts, junk models etc. as junkyards, but so few airplane modellers do. It all goes in the garbage, parts are very valuable. I have one guy in my model club who had a bunch of models given to him through an estate. I asked him for a 1/72 super connie. but he threw it out because it smelled like cig smoke. Well, plastic can be washed, but then he's a throw away type.

• Sad 2

Up here, on The Backside of Beyond, we have plastic recycling. We have three bins. One for regular household waste, one for plastic & metal and one for paper.

The weekly trash pickup alternates between plastic and paper along with the household stuff.

Mind you, if I ever trashed the whole stash, it would take a few weeks to get rid of it all. I'm leaving that decision to Mrs. DB and the daughters.

Chris

• Haha 3

Won't be long before environmentalists come with their pitch forks for the modellers.  If they get their way we'll end up back living in caves.  Mumble, mumble, champagne environmentalists with all their devices, plastics, mumble mumble...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Yes, absolutely!

Since, besides the obvious polluting aspects of said kits, they also may trick the builder into reading, learning about history and thus educating him/her self. Which of course is a very undesirable side effect in today's social environments.

So 2 environments can be saved here!!

• Like 5

Need to ban them, they advocate war and violence, some of them display hate symbols,and glorify outlawed organizations.

Ban them 🤪

Never mind 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Mike said:

Stashes are sequestered carbon deposits, so they should be encouraged :)

As well as providing additional loft insulation....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2