AMT 1957 Chrysler 300C by Fnick

Fnick

Ok don't try the above... Milky deposit on windscreen now...😡😭 Back to the sanding method I used on the Mustang... 

That'll teach me to improve a perfectly good looking windscreen...

Nick

• Sad 1

Sorry to read about this.  I think most of use hear at one point have thought if I was just to.......and then 20 minutes later thoroughly wished we hadn't.   Don't give up as its going to make a great piece when finished - Andy

• Thanks 1

Morning everyone

Well as satisfying as it is to get from this

spacer.png

To this

spacer.png

It would be nice to have a model without windscreen issues! 😋. A good couple of hours of precious modelling time that good have been put to better use...

On the plus side the fit is much better even though some persuasion was still required...

spacer.png

I know I know. That is no way to treat a lady 😄.

Leaving everything alone for rest of day until glue is fully cured. And fingers and everything else crossed that the front doesn't pop up like a jack in the box when I remove the clamps...

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fnick said:

I Leaving everything alone for rest of day until glue is fully cured. And fingers and everything else crossed that the front doesn't pop up like a jack in the box when I remove the clamps...

Fingers crossed 🤞 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 

Well fingers crossed you can uncross those fingers!😋. Clamps have been off for more than 3 hours and no sign of Jack!

spacer.png

Have to admit I really pleased (and relieved!) to get to this stage!

Unfortunately there is a small gap between the body and the firewall that I wasn't able to clamp. ☹️

spacer.png

Think I'll live with that one. Bonnet's going to be on most of the time anyway... If I was going to do this one again I would consider deviating from the instructions and glue the firewall to the body as opposed to the interior tub. 

Thanks for looking.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 6

Good rescue there, both on the windscreen and on joining the body. One of the things this hobby does seem to do is throw up challenges, and you passed the test with this one. I wouldn't worry about the gap abov ethe firewall, it's not major and once the bonnet is on will be hard to see, even with the bonnet open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning all

Thank you for the likes and comments.

Getting near the end. Grill and front bumper chromed.

spacer.png

Bumper is not perfect but better than I expected. Still finding it very tricky to paint the Molotow chrome on without it losing its sheen. Will give those a week to dry before handling.

Lights on front and back.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear lights still need some additional clear red. 

Engine bay looking quite busy now!

spacer.png

And since you can finally see the shape of the car a side view.

spacer.png

I didn't chrome the rear bumper as I'm not sure of the fit. However to verify that I needed to have the rear lights on.

Next week's task! 🙂

Oh before I forget question for you knowledgeable chaps. I need to decant some body colour paint. How long does it last if kept properly? Just wondering if it will dry up in a day or two not if I have a bit more leeway.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 7

This was the 3rd or 4th kit I ever built. Don't remember having an issue fitting the body to the chassis but this part of a build is probably my least favorite a lot of kits seem to be engineered as to give you a headache. You made a nice save it will look great once finished.  

• Thanks 1

@Fnick I've got some Tamiya dull red spray paint that I decanted into a bottle a couple of months ago (at least), it has separated but would probably return to a usable state with a thorough stir.  I don't know if that helps?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments gents. I've certainly gained a lot of experience in rescuing windscreens! 😋.

Thanks @johnlambert for that info. That's the kind of ball park figure I was looking for. I'm only going to decant the paint when I'm going to need it but as I can only spray paint in the garage I need the temperatures to warm up a bit! 

Nick

• Thanks 1

Morning all finish line definitely in sight! Grill on and Chrysler letters painted on the bonnet.

spacer.png

Side decals on.

spacer.png

And bumpers ready. Rear one needed a bit of adjusting. I painted it yesterday so I'll leave it till next weekend before gluing.

spacer.png

I need to somehow fix the radio antenna because a bit broke off so it's shorter that it should be. 

The body needs a good clean as I wasn't particularly careful when handling it...☺️.

One thing I may not be able to do soon is to touch up the paint work as that requires the temperature to increase a bit...

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 9

Why thank you Mr Mansfield 🙂. I've heard the molotow chrome looks good sprayed but I cant speak from personal experience. Yes it does come out of the pen quite thick but I found that when brushing it on you have to load the brush up and also lay down a thick layer. If the layer is too thin or if you try to go over it the finish looks dull. Working quickly is also essential! 

The chrome trim around the windows is not the best but at least I was able to use my experience to do a better job on the bumpers. Have to admit I'm pleased as to how they came out! 😊

Cheers, Nick

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr Mansfield said:

Really nice looking build. I thought the chrome looks good. I was wondering if the molatov came out as good when sprayed, as it’s quite thick out of the pen

I did not spray molotow, but you are right, it is quite thick. For smaller parts I use brushes and add ipa to the molotow (nearly 50/50).

If the surface is clean and even, the molotow will level out perfectly

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Evening all

More pics posted in the RFI section. I really enjoyed this kit. Fitting issues aside which could have very well been inadvertently caused by me I found this an excellent and well detailed kit. Not being a car expert I found having all the parts named on the instructions very educational. Only super minor gripe with this kit is the lack of lenses for the indicators and the small lights in the front bumper (you can see them on the box art at the start of this page).

Overall I would recommend this kit.

Thanks again to all who visited, pressed the like button or commented. Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Next up is a Honda Prelude MK4!

Cheers, Nick

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Evening all

More pics posted in the RFI section. I really enjoyed this kit. Fitting issues aside which could have very well been inadvertently caused by me I found this an excellent and well detailed kit. Not being a car expert I found having all the parts named on the instructions very educational. Only super minor gripe with this kit is the lack of lenses for the indicators and the small lights in the front bumper (you can see them on the box art at the start of this page).

Overall I would recommend this kit.

Thanks again to all who visited, pressed the like button or commented. Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Next up is a Honda Prelude MK4!

Cheers, Nick

Chrysler 300C and then a Honda Prelude, are you building all my favourite cars? ;)

• Haha 1