AMT 1957 Chrysler 300C by Fnick

Fnick

I shouldn't worry too much about the dials not being to the standard you want. Like manuy of us here, I'm guilty of taking ages over dashboards, then once you've fitted the body you can barely see them (convertibles excepted obviously!). Nothing wrong with what you've done at the dashboard so I think it'll be fine once you've got it installed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wowsers! Nicely done!!

Push button automatic trans. and electric windows!...she was loaded. 

The Chrysler push button automatic equipped cars could be "push started" due to having a secondary output shaft driven oil pump...little known fact there for ya. (totally useless information,🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening all

Interior progressing. Flocking done and seats glued. Not completely satisfied with flocking. I could blame the powder but given the fact this is the first time I've attempted it...

spacer.png

Started detaling on the door interior. Still cross eyed from doing the 300 logo in aluminium with a sharpened toothpick! 🥴

spacer.png

Also glued the steering wheel to the dash but the photo came out blurry and I'd rather wait to take the picture in natural light since the colours especially the tan come out much better.

Once all the chrome is done on the doors I can glue everything together and the interior tub is done. Chassis next!

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 7

Evening all. Thanks for the visits and the likes.

Interior tub done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chassis work has started. Nothing too exciting to it so I'll be probably only post pics once it is finished.

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 8

So you do an update... One last look at the photos (feeling quite pleased with yourself) and then you realise you made a booboo...🤬 A minor one but one nonetheless... Hopefully fixed by tomorrow. Clue: it's in the first picture. First prize is bragging rights for having found it first! 😋😀

Nick

Didn't think it was that obvious!😀yes well done Spiny. Bragging rights with honours! 😉

I've already removed the side panel without too much problem so should be easily fixable. And thank you for your nice comment.

Nick

On 28/11/2020 at 22:44, Fnick said:

Didn't think it was that obvious!😀yes well done Spiny. Bragging rights with honours! 😉

I've already removed the side panel without too much problem so should be easily fixable. And thank you for your nice comment.

Nick

I have lots of practice at seeing missed bits... on my own models ;) . Very neat bit of chroming for the repair - I can't manage that without masking tape.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all

Chassis done as well as wheels. The interior tub is also on. Starting to look like some sort of motorized contraption! 😋.

Need to paint a few pieces with the body colour so hoping tomorrow is just about warm enough to spray paint. Doing it in the garage where the boiler is so fingers crossed that should help.

spacer.png

A few areas to touch up underneath but nothing major. 

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

• Like 8

It's looking really good, having seen how nice the body looks, I can't wait to see the parts come together.  The Chrysler 300C is one of my favourite cars and you've really done it proud.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress. Roof interior done. Very close to being able to put the body on the chassis! 🙂

spacer.png

And some bits and bobs: headlights front and rear, battery and bumpers.

spacer.png

Hope you all had a good Xmas. As always thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 7

Morning all

Happy new year first of all! Windscreens are now on. The rear one took two attempts and a bit of persuasion! 😀

spacer.png

Front one was a lot easier. Next big step was to finally put the body onto the chassis. As you can see from the instructions it couldn't be simpler...

spacer.png

However...

spacer.png

As you can hopefully see the power brake unit and the blower motor are preventing the body from fitting. Doesn't matter if you try from the front or the rear...

So off came the offending items

spacer.png

And it was time to try again. 

spacer.png

And as you can see more problems. It will sit flush but without a reasonable amount of "persuasion"! 🙂

I think it's because the dashboard and especially the parcel shelf are being pushed against the windscreens. My first thought was to use clamps when gluing. However I don't have some (yet... On order...) And I also don't want the glue joints to be under too much stress. I also don't want to start sanding down the parcel shelf and especially the windscreens in case I damage the parts. So some pondering required.🤔

Any advice suggestions welcome 😀

Cheers Nick

• Like 2

Cheers John. Should be ok. Just need to attack the problem with a clear head tomorrow. It's a bit of a shame because the kit has been really good otherwise. I think that it's mainly the parcel shelf and rear windscreen that are the problem. I'm hoping that if I sort that end out then the front will go flush more easily. 

If I get stuck then I have plenty more chrome painting to do! 🙂

Nick

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this - it's one of my biggest fears when building that the body won't go on properly for whatever reason so I can sympathise. I'm not sure what the best method would be to fix the problem, but if it was me I would bite the bullet and sand down the underside of the rear window (how well glued in is it? Can it be removed to work on?). It sounds scary to sand a windscreen but, provided you have the right kit, it can be done, and with your kit it looks as though you may be able to just sand the bottom of the windscren (the flange where it fits to the pegs could be sanded a bit thinner?). Not sure what you have for sanding polishing, but if you have 12,000 grit Micromest, Ultimate Thinny Buffers or similar that should get it smooth enough that running over with Fine, or preferably Finish, polishing compound will more than return clarity to the glass.

• Thanks 1

This is looking incredible, I hope you get the fit issues sorted mate.  I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, its the sort of thing I'd have to see in the flesh to figure out by messing about with it until I could see the best way to resolve it.  I love the colour.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement gents! @Spiny your reply gave me the nudge I needed! Both windscreens off and the flanges sanded down thinner. I have also sanded down the inside of the body where those flanges sit. The fit is better, no way near perfect but good enough. I'll still need clamps to hold the whole thing down whilst the glue is curing.

The front windscreen suffered a small graze near the bottom when I was sanding. The effect had been lessened with the polishing compounds but it is still there. I don't want to risk sanding down the whole windscreen as I did on my Mustang build as it is not that obvious. I also have just received a pot of AK gauzy agent so I'll more than likely use that after having tested it. 

Progress is going to slow down now since it's the end of the holidays but hopefully I'll have an update next week.

Nick

• Like 3

Morning all no progress...

Got some ak gauzy agent, tested it looked good, dipped windscreens in it, left to dry and result below...☹️

spacer.png

As you can see there is some sort of freckly effect not sure why. Thought I had cleaned the windscreens properly but maybe not. In any event they are being bathed in IPA to remove the gauzy agent and then it's back to the polishing compounds and I think I'll leave it at that!

I will retry gauzy agent on the next build though because it did look good when it worked!

Nick

• Like 1