AMT 1957 Chrysler 300C by Fnick

Fnick

Thanks for the likes.

Much happier with result below. Just hadn't sanded first attempt enough.

spacer.png

And the polished body with the bonnet on.

spacer.png

Next steps are to carry on with the dashboard and start chrome detaling on the body and bonnet.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cheers John! I agree it is an unusual colour. I was trying to get close to the box art colour but the Tamiya coral blue is a bit lighter than that. I have to also say that my phone isn't great at colours depending on light conditions.

And yes I'm also hoping that the chrome fittings will break up that mass of light blue!

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 1

Hi all

Started dechroming chrome parts. After two goes with mr muscle oven cleaner the bumpers especially are proving particularly awkward!

spacer.png

Most of the other parts are pretty clean. Any ideas as to what I can do would be very much appreciated! 🙂

I also tried bleach but that didn't work either. Is worth sanding down the chrome and trying again with the oven cleaner? The oven cleaner is a couple years old (at least ahem...☺️) so not sure if that is part of the issue or not.

Thanks!

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 1

Very shiny. Great result.
That colour looks exactly like the colour of my Volvo 1800ES, which I had a number of years back. Colour number 109 (volvo colour code of the ‘70s).

But previous pictures showed a much more blue model, so what comes closest to the model in your hand?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comment Pouln! The previous blue was Tamiya light blue which was too blue so I resprayed the car! The colour in the latest photographs is Tamiya coral blue which is much lighter and has an almost turquoise feel to it.

Cheers, Nick

How long did you leave the bumpers in Mr. Muscle and/or bleach? As it seems to have started to shift the chrome it obviously does seem to have been working, it may be worth leaving it overnight or even for a couple of days to give it plenty of time to dissolve the chrome.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fnick said:

That did the trick! Thanks Spiny! One to add to the never ending list of lessons learned.

Nick

Glad it helped - I've received quite a bit of good advice on here so it's always a nice feeling to be able to pass it forward. As you say, the learning is never ending, but the hobby wouldn't be as satisfying if it did end.

• Like 1

Nice work, brings back memories. My uncle had a two tone blue and

white car similar to this in the late 50s, a Dodge I believe, just another

Mopar with a different name.---John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all

Chrome detailing on the body is done. Found it tricky to get a smooth finish with the brushed on molotow. Hopefully I can improve before doing the bumpers. 

I also managed to nick the body a couple of times with the scalpel when cutting the masking tape...😡 so some repairs will be necessary.

spacer.png

Next step on the body is to do the interior painting but I might concentrate on the dashboard for now.

Thanks for looking. Nick

• Like 7

I find hand-painting with Molotow chrome to be a tricky affair.
So far all my attempts have been 'good enough' rather than excellent (or even good...)

Yours looks very good by the way!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Alan! Much appreciated. I've picked up quite a few tips on this great forum. As much as I agree that learning through mistakes is the best way to learn sometimes it's nice not to have to! 😉.

The main tips I borrowed for painting with molotow was to thin it down with alcohol, not apply too thin a layer, work quickly and not to go over an already painted area. 

Nick

On 11/2/2020 at 7:40 PM, Fnick said:

Chrome detailing on the body is done. Found it tricky to get a smooth finish with the brushed on molotow. Hopefully I can improve before doing the bumpers. 

The Molotow is a bit too thick to brush on. I find that if you dilute with ipa it is much easier to paint and will give a nice surface.

Some progress on the dash. Doing all the chrome detailing. This is my reference (courtesy of Barret Jackson auctions)

spacer.png

And this where I am at. A few places to touch up but I will deal with those later!🙂

spacer.png

And also putting a few layers of tan on the doors and seats

spacer.png

Colour in the last photo is not correct. It does look more like the tan used on the dash.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 4

Hi all

Thanks for the visits and the likes. Dash is now finished. Not sure about the decals though. They don't really look like indicator dials no matter how you look at them!🙄. But they are in the kit and I didn't have anything else to use so there you go...

spacer.png

Next is the steering wheel and steering wheel column.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 7