AMT 1957 Chrysler 300C by Fnick

Fnick

Hi all

My plan was to go back to ship modelling for a bit before it became too cold to work in the garage but I was struggling to reignite my enthusiasm... So onto the next car build!😀

Say hello to the AMT 1957 Chrysler 300C kit.

spacer.png

So far really pleased with the quality of the kit and from what I have read it goes together very nicely. I've always wanted to do a big American car with lots of chrome and my first choice would have been the Cadillac Eldorado but the Revell kit is no longer manufactured and the second hand ones that were available at the time I was looking were somewhat pricey!

So back to the Chrysler. It's a big beast! Here's a comparison next to the Mustang and the Honda Prelude that is next on the list.

spacer.png

Started on the engine.

spacer.png

I've used Tamiya grey primer on the body. Wow this stuff is amazing!😀. I've also bought ts23 light blue and ts13 clear as well. Can see the attraction of spray paints and airbrushes even more! Definitely going to be easier and quicker than applying 4 coats by brush!😋

spacer.png

Hoping to apply colour and clear over the next couple of days. 

Thanks for looking 

Nick

• Like 7

The Chrysler 300 C is one of my favourite cars. I'd like to get this kit and I look forward to seeing your build take shape. 

I've seen and even sat in a 300 D, which is pretty much the same. They are huge! 

• Like 1

I knew a fellow who restored a 4 door 300, his story goes; the 300 was parked on his garage apron in front of his house, he picked up his motor home from storage, drove it home and parked beside the 300, tried to open the drivers door but it was too close to the 300 to open without door dinging the car so, he walked through the length of his motor  home to the side rear exit door, opened that and still couldn’t exit due to the 300 blocking that door as well... 20 feet between doors, that’s some car!

• Like 3

So this is the result with a couple of coats of Tamiya light blue spray...

spacer.png

Bit difficult to tell from this picture but it is quite a strong blue and although I'm happy with the finish I'm just not happy enough with the colour so I've ordered ts41 coral blue which should get here early next week. Hopefully should be closer to the box art since I wanted a lighter colour as the interior is going to be tan.

Hoping I can just spray a couple of coats over the existing colour...

Thanks for looking Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 2

Hi Nick, I've found some pictures I took of the 1958 Chrysler 300D, would you like me to post them here?  I could even see if they'll do for a "Walkaround" thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

I have an underbonnet shot and a little bit of interior detail; there aren't a lot of photos but they might be a useful reference or some encouragement.  The 300D only differs in minor details from the 300C as far as I can tell.

y4m-GdHbD7jZsJA16agHRkdQAlCCfUIFp4k3ON2k

Here's a sample, the main difference is that the 300D has less of a peak over the windscreen.  

• Like 3

OK here are a few more Chrysler 300D pictures:

y4m-vVCd2Itn8eMt8xWhTyohtD0HNzklpSaSwcc2

Excuse my mate in the driving seat (the owner very kindly invited us in for a closer look)

y4mlV8rQBqP5susQq4Rz5jbA2DU6Xc81k681qN97

The view from the driver's seat.

y4m3aEjjkw66deIkvnppnq3wRsekgx1OUUBz20YY

A bit of dashboard detail

y4m3eN3YC6rE0dWEU38m5gffoo_XU6vUYGgo5Q3V

Under the bonnet (or hood), 392 cubic inches of hemi-headed goodness.

y4m83sTsMytT_qpuEfTqh6tZAW8YNGUTrkUCRcmY

That's all for now, but I'll post more if I find them.

• Like 2

Cheers for those photos John. Interesting especially are the dash details. I've noticed a few have the top of the dash black but I can't remember seeing that in the instructions. Since I am going for a light blue I'll have to see if the top of the dash was painted in other colours as I think black would not go. But a two-tone dash certainly looks good. More searching required!

Nick

• Like 1

That's enormous, regardless of scale!

I presume you used the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. I've just used it for the first time on my latest build and the difference compared to the Halfords product is worth the money. Much easier to get a smooth paintjob with the Tamiya stuff as the base.  

• Like 1

Cheers Silver thanks for the link. I have also looked at the instructions and it does say dash is black so that's that then!☺️

Thanks Anteater yes I used Tamiya grey surface primer. Not sure if it's the fine or not. In either case application was not as difficult as I'd thought (did look at quite a few videos showing techniques) and the end result was really smooth. Also sanded it down lightly with 1500 grit before colour application

Nick

Hi all

Thanks for the likes and comments. Small update. Engine coming along slowly.

spacer.png

Interestingly instructions and actual engines differ slightly in terms of colour scheme. Instructions have the generator as steel and the carburetors as gold whilst they are black and silver respectively on most if not all engine photos. Some pictures have got some gold details on the carburetors so may do that just to add a bit of detail. 

Hopefully I have the new spray paint arriving tomorrow or day after for the body.

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 3

Well, with he gold and black rocker covers I'd say you've really captured the look of the early Hemi engine.

Looking at the under bonnet picture I posted, it looks like the bottom half of the carburettors is a darker metallic grey and the top half is more of an aluminium colour.  The darker grey wouldn't stand out as much as gold but might still provide a bit of visual interest?

• Like 2

Cheers John. Thanks for pointing out the colour difference in the carburetors. Once the whole engine is complete I'm going to try and accentuate the details with a black wash but only in a few places. Ideally want to try and keep a factory fresh feel for this one if I can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Well, with he gold and black rocker covers I'd say you've really captured the look of the early Hemi engine.

Looking at the under bonnet picture I posted, it looks like the bottom half of the carburettors is a darker metallic grey and the top half is more of an aluminium colour.  The darker grey wouldn't stand out as much as gold but might still provide a bit of visual interest?

To me this seems to be caused by the shadow thrown by the air filter boxes. I derive 5hat from the fact that where the sunlight hits to lower parts, it seems to be as light as the the tops

never mind, I do see the difference in shade too.

• Like 2

Looking really good!

my experience (I may be wrong it’s just for memory) is the carburetors were cast aluminum alloy (aluminium for some?) which were a greyish silver with gold anodized moving parts (butterfly valves, shafts levers etc) to prevent corrosion/rust I have seen whole carburetor castings gold anodized as well but the coating was thin and still showed greyish in places. The only carbs I’ve seen with a really good strong gold color were were Holley competition carbs and the GM Rochester quadrajets.

generators were always black

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Now I have no idea how to paint the carbs!😋🤣

Just kidding! I'll need to reread the suggestions and look at pictures and links but my first thought is to paint carbs aluminium, dry brush slightly the lower ones with gold paint and have the moving parts gold.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Hahaha too many options can be a bad thing!

ultimately it’s your model and you can paint it any way you choose, who can say you’re wrong?

High time carbs were dirty greasy things

Rebuilt/ remanufactured carbs were often shot peened and looked like polished aluminum so there’s another option.

• Like 1

Evening all

New colour on

spacer.png

And now with a TS-13 clear coat.

spacer.png

As a reminder the look I am trying to achieve...

spacer.png

Much happier with the colour. Clear went on ok, not great but ok. Not complete orange peel effect but not super smooth either. Hopefully nothing that a bit of careful light sanding and lots of polishing compounds won't fix! Looking forward to trying out the Tamiya finish compound in this!

Need to leave the clear to cure for a couple of days first though.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 5

Thanks Spiny for your comment. I'm just pleased there are no brush marks on this one!🙂 And it certainly is a lot quicker too!

Small update... one monster engine finished.

spacer.png

I have applied a small amount of black wash to try and pick out details but I don't want to overdo it. May still have another go at it though... Next thing on the list is the dashboard which I am looking forward to.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 5

Evening all

Not really an update more of an "in progress" post.

Started sanding and polishing. Reasonably happy with the bonnet.

spacer.png

Sanded whole body but just polished the roof. Looked like it was ok but under the merciless glare of the sun still not there yet some more sanding required...

spacer.png

That glare is very unforgiving though. In most light conditions it looks ok!🙂

At least I've got the dashboard to distract me if I get bored from polishing!

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 5