Greek F-5A with AIM-9L

YK GOH

In researching the web for an interesting weapon load to attach onto a NATO country F-5A, I came across two photos of this Greek F-5A 89047 with AIM-9L missile on its wingtip.

All other photos of F-5As I know of show either AIM-9B or AIM-9P missiles.

Did the Greek AF armed their F-5As with AIM-9Ls, or perhaps 89047 is an exception, ie. for certification trials and never introduced fleetwide?

Interestingly, 89047 is one of the subjects featured in the 1/48 Kinetic F-5A kit.

f5afr_reference1

Shortly after I posted the above, I did a quick check on airliners.net and realised that the Turkish upgraded F-5As are equipped with AIM-9Ls. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Turkey-Air-Force/Northrop-F-5A-2000-Freedom-Fighter/2252558/L?qsp=eJwtjLEOwjAMBf/FM0y0KupWBlYY%2BAEreYKI0ES2JYiq/jtJYbw76RZyaTZ87FYyaCQFi3vQjjILv5TGhThIDHOL/TB0h9qeKO8kvlY67/upGk1ip1LZs2FyDtng//4iHtIS1G3je3u1T4Zcf3TsKvqgOfJ2gXGItK5fGRgyqQ%3D%3D

Question remains whether the Greek F-5As fly with AIM-9Ls as operational configuration.

That is a acquisition training missile, not a test item. If they were  training with AIM9L they must have had it in their inventory. The Greek air force retired its last F5 in 2002 IIRC.

Selwyn

Shouldn't be much adaption needed to the missile rail as most have the same attachment points/system. The challenge usually lies in exploring the higher technology that comes with the newer missiles to the fullest. Up to the M-version of the missile this should be no big deal.
FWIW Greek F-4E's have also been seen flying with AIM-9L's in combination with AIM-9LIMA's (re-built AIM-9P/J/N with L-warhead)

Because the fins of the -L have some difference in function compared to -P model, the launchers in F-5A had to be modified.

The HAF F-4E used AERO-3B launchers (for AIM-9B) and from the '80s and '90s they use LAU-7/LAU-105 for (AIM-9L/P). 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:12 PM, Boman said:

FWIW Greek F-4E's have also been seen flying with AIM-9L's in combination with AIM-9LIMA's (re-built AIM-9P/J/N with L-warhead)

You mean seeker head or warhead(explosives) ?

I did nit hear about this mod before...

I think Iran did borrow some tech of the X model for uts P model upgrades...

And Diehl? did upgrade the Luftwaffe's B models with later technoligy in the 80ies

On 10/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Boman said:

Can you provide a source for this info?  I have never heard of anything but a standard AIM-9L being referred to as a "Lima" (after the NATO phoenetic alphabet for the letter L).

I understand BGT of Germany had offered an AIM-9J upgraded they branded "JULI"  that incorporated the AIM-9L seeker into AIM-9J airframes. This would makes more sense, given the 9L is rather famous for offering all-aspect capability.  Germany had previously rebuilt AIM-9Bs with improved seekers in a mod known as AIM-9B FGW.2, sometimes referred to as AIM-9F.

• Like 1

Sure thing; 

http://thecombatworkshop.blogspot.com/2017/10/sidewinder-overview-part-iv-aim-9jnp.html

One correction though: Should have been AIM-9JULI, not LIMA - sorry, me bad. One should be weary of mixing up letters with the phonetic alfabet in this case. 

As for Iran aquiring AIM-9X technology for upgrading its own AIM-9J's? Not sure I believe the US would allow that🤔 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boman said:

Sure thing; 

http://thecombatworkshop.blogspot.com/2017/10/sidewinder-overview-part-iv-aim-9jnp.html

One correction though: Should have been AIM-9JULI, not LIMA - sorry, me bad. One should be weary of mixing up letters with the phonetic alfabet in this case. 

As for Iran aquiring AIM-9X technology for upgrading its own AIM-9J's? Not sure I believe the US would allow that🤔 

no, the US would not allow that, I said it "borrowed" some AIM-9X technology, allegedly some IIR seeker upgrade... all news from Iran need to be taken with a grain of salt anyways...

that is a great document by the way! thanks!

• Like 1

On 05/10/2020 at 06:00, vangos said:

In some of HAF F-5s the wingtip launchers were modified so as to carry the AIM-9L.  

Here are some examples.

54002.jpg

54003.jpg

I recall that the F-5's wingtip missile launchers are the LAU-100 for LHS and LAU-101 for RHS. It came with the 19-pin connector for AIM-9P missiles. With the AIM-9L/M which has the 34-pin connector, the mod to carry it would require the swop of the 19-pin connector to the bigger diameter 34-pin. I suppose this and any other mods to the launcher to carry/fire the AIM-9L/M are internal and no change to its external profile?

The HAF F-5As used the LAU-57(L) and LAU-58 (R) wingtip launchers. You are right YK GOH about the connectors. An easy way to distinguish a modified launcher is to spot two small coils above and below the nose of the launcher. 

This photo may help you.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece-Air-Force/Northrop-F-5A-Freedom-Fighter/5188691/L?qsp=eJxtjb0OgkAQhN9lahpFNFwnjaUUvsBmb9VLEC57W0gI7%2B55JFZ2k/nmZwFPo8nbbnMUOCQh5ScqRFJ6JbgFFJSV7tZRCrzF2mbfVD9wkVH0P4KrT4d2VyFNat2cDzyZnJklmnhs/lW96BdJ4vL8yDu5E0X7olEfs%2B9DigOVDTEKA9b1A/HXPqw%3D

On 05/10/2020 at 20:12, Boman said:

The HAF F-4E were armed with a combination of L/J/P/JULI. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, YK GOH said:

Thanks very much vangos for enlightening on the launcher mod.

Looks like the USN/USMC Aggressor F-5Es which carry the AIM-9L/M on the RHS did the same treatment for its LAU-101s.

You are welcome!

I think you are right about the LAU 100/101 and the AIM-9L/M.