L393 1/72 Bloch 174 A-3

Lightningboy2000

My Heller Bloch 174 arrived today, just in time to join in.

This is a big departure for me as I've been building far more modern jets in recent years & I've been spoiling myself with mostly newly tooled kits.

This kit has quite nice finely raised detail, but I will be rescribing some select panel lines. I won't be getting rid of all thise rivets.

There doesn't look to be much in the way of aftermarket for it except for a few Renaissance parts, resin engines & new vacform clear parts. The kit transparencies look pretty good to me & I personally can't see what's wrong with the engine nacelles, so this looks like it will be built mostly out of the box, but the tyres look pretty featureless, so I might raid the spares box or see what aftermarket would be appropriate.

50402850741_a809f7cf9f_z.jpg

50402850776_38774d44c8_z.jpg

50402176648_c9d15578ac_z.jpg

Now I would be under the impression that Heller would naturally include decals for a Bloch 174 that Antoine de Saint-Exupéry had actually flown in but there's no reference to him in the decal instructions.

It would be nice to build the "Flight To Arras" airframe that he flew in, but so far I haven't ascertained which airframe that was.

From what I gather he flew with GR 11/33 but not sure if he flew in the airframes depicted in the decal sheet.

Airframes provided are No.25 & No.53.

Any help with details on which "174" airframe Saint-Exupéry's most notable for would be great as I would like to attach some significance to the build while i'm at it.

• Like 9

Great choice and so nice to see one of these 'Glow2B' era boxes on show for this GB. This looks to be a really nice overall package so will look forward to seeing this kit being built.

I only wish my LHS stocked these new Heller kits, then again it's probably best they don't! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great choice and so nice to see one of these 'Glow2B' era boxes on show for this GB. This looks to be a really nice overall package so will look forward to seeing this kit being built.

I only wish my LHS stocked these new Heller kits, then again it's probably best they don't! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Thanks Dave! 👍 Sorry, what is Glow2B? 

I was surprised at how old the kit is. Looks really nice for a 1966 kit, good vintage!

4 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

what is Glow2B? 

Glow2B are the new Heller kit mould owners from Germany.  The new predominately Yellow box tops sets them apart from the previous owners and box top design. 

I'm hoping that they can distribute their products a little further than mainland Europe, although Covid has probably changed a few of their plans for 2020.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice one! It’s good to see you signed up :)

Martin

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Martin,

Great choice, really pleased to see this one in the GB, glad you got it in time to make it!

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

EDIT:  Flight to Arras decals by Renaissance here

Thanks guys, so No.24 must be the one then. Typical that I can't doctor the Heller decals to change it, so I might have to get thos Renaissance decals after all.

It's possible that I might get their transparency as well, as the framing on the Heller clear parts are wrong.

Looks like some more cash will be parted with for this build.

Here's my initial inspiration.

Some artwork by Romain Hugault.

50403246773_4d656f8997_b.jpg

50404107272_c7cd588a70_b.jpg

Looks like he's released an art work book about him.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Glow2B are the new Heller kit mould owners from Germany.  The new predominately Yellow box tops sets them apart from the previous owners and box top design.

I did not know this. Interesting.

Renaissance decals & resin engine cowls are in the post.

I've decided to sand off the very fine rivets on the fuselage & scribe a few panel lines. 

Photos of the interior seem very rare on the internet as I will try & add a small amount of scratch detail. Looks like new seats will have to be fashioned as well, as they will clearly be seen.

Progress photos to come soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to find a short while in between another project to start detailing-up the interior of the Bloch.

I can't seem to find any interior photos of this aircraft, but have managed to find a pretty good French cutaway drawing.

50492696031_39d9300f13_b.jpg

And from that I've started to add some basic plasticard workings.

Heller did provide some very fine raised interior detail, some of which might be seen if I dry brush them, but I will add a few side consoles buttons & levers!

50491983008_62cc2cd7e6_b.jpg

Added a representation of the recon camera situated just below the pilots seat.

50492685626_12f691a217_b.jpg

50491982943_ddb642b8c8_b.jpg

Some framing behind the bomb aimers seat with what appears to be an intercom box above his head.

Replacement floor for the pilot & rear gunner.

50492685466_1b440fa8e7_b.jpg

Next parts to order will be the machine guns. Found some from Kora of the MAC guns, which I hope will be adequate. The rear gunner had a pair of them joined together & another two in the wing leading edges.

• Like 10

Nice internal work going on there LB. I've got a bagged version of one of these with shot decals, so watching what you're doing here is very motivational and good for future reference. 

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

That's lovely detailing mate :)

Thanks mate, just a small start. I'll add a bit more to her over the weekend. Some side consoles, levers etc. I've also got to scratch build some seats. 

I've seen some seats from other French aircraft that do remind me of old French car seats. Just need some interior photos, but on the other hand, in this scale not much can be seen!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice internal work going on there LB. I've got a bagged version of one of these with shot decals, so watching what you're doing here is very motivational and good for future reference. 

Cheers.. Dave   

Thanks Dave, you know I'm working from minimal references here, so most of it will be estimated guesswork. Hope it helps! 👍

Martin

Hi,

This is a very interesting kit. The Bloch 174 recce/bomber was one of the better French machines, though as ever it's entry into service was I gather much delayed. Ordered in 1936, it first flew in 1938 (Bloch 170)  but after considerable modifications were made only reached the squadrons in March 1940, when St Exupery's flight to Arras took place. It was fast and pretty handy so only a handful were shot down before France capitulated, and it deserves to be better known.

Pete

• Like 4

Hi Martin

I can send you some cockpit info on the 174, i can not put it on BM as its not my copyright ie photocopys of the 174 manual i have some bits of it for when i get round to doing the 48th kit i have got.

I will try to scan it this w/e and email you the jpegs.

Paul

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, PaulT 876 said:

Hi Martin

I can send you some cockpit info on the 174, i can not put it on BM as its not my copyright ie photocopys of the 174 manual i have some bits of it for when i get round to doing the 48th kit i have got.

I will try to scan it this w/e and email you the jpegs.

Paul

👍

Cheers Paul PM incoming!

Martin

Delighted to see one of these in the GB.

A very distinctive aircraft and one I was tempted to build for this GB, the interior detailing is outstanding, very much looking forward to watching this one develop. 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Delighted to see one of these in the GB.

A very distinctive aircraft and one I was tempted to build for this GB, the interior detailing is outstanding, very much looking forward to watching this one develop. 

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat.

I think it's an attractive aircraft, plus seeing a while ago Romain Hugault doing an artwork book on St Ex made me decide.

Progress is rather slow at the moment though.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

Managed to enjoy some scratch building time yesterday afternoon.

Boxed in the wheel bays. After a frustrating & fruitless search for my contour tool  which would have made life a bit easier I fettled a couple of boxes to make things a bit more presentable. Measurements all made with some compass dividers & a lot of trial & error to make them fit!

50532206768_4d5a7e3543_b.jpg

50532206718_4f51bd26b8_b.jpg

50532931506_a3e45744e0_b.jpg

Also added some ribbing & the engine exhaust duct & the compressed air resevoir for what I presume was for the undercarriage retraction.

50533089442_6bac2210d9_b.jpg

Opened up the engine exhaust at the end of the engine cowl.

50532206453_95067b0e5d_b.jpg

Finally got the decals from Renaissance. Also found some decals in the spares to make use of for the cockpit.

50532206373_78212af82c_b.jpg

And the resin engines. Sadly there's a mould crease in one of the pieces but I can live with that & work it out.

50532206313_1631a2de2d_b.jpg

• Like 8