Leo 451

JWM

I think I will join GB with Leo 45/451 bomber. I am not sure yet which variant I will do. I have to look at the schemes, I remember I have a profile for machine used in a sortie over Gibraltar, as revenge for British action in Mars el Kebir (operation Catapult).  So it will be perhaps that one - Vichy but without neutrality strips. Besides this kit I have in stash only two more Heller kits: Morane 230 and 225. I've heard about separate threads, so if I will decide about going on with them also, I will start separate threads later for them. 

Regards

J-W

p.s. from 4.11.2020

It will be 451, and more likely from Syria, with yellows ends (nose, cowlings and tail). The Middle East war in summer 1941 against Britts invasion on French colonies was perhaps the main WW2 operational use of Leo ...

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/449/pics/120_5.jpg

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
change of topic and adde PS
  • Like 8

Nice one J-W, an oldie but goldie from the 1960's, catalogue number L391.

Welcome J-W, I'm sure you'll do a cracking job with it, good luck.

• Like 1

Great to see you adding another one of your builds to this GB J-W. We will all look forward to watching the kit’s build progress as you update this thread. These French bombers are starting to climb in number, I’m sure I’ll know a lot more about them by the end of this GB. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JWM said:

What I have in stash is Smer rebox of Heller, with interesting (from distance) set of decals. 

50402822177_ae06ce197e_o.jpg

Regards

J-W

Once I’ve sorted out my decals I will have leftovers for sure, if that helps, Jerzy

Martin

• Like 2

Great stuff Jerzy

Did these aircraft not have the red stripes on them, just the areas of yellow ?

This looks like a big aircraft so should look very impressive when finished.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Pat, thank you. Actually the scheme in  this book :

laviation-francaise-1939-42-de-dewoitine

present the machine as for 1942, so the strips are shown, but there is only retrospective note that this particular machine of GB II/23 (? - I write it by heart at the moment now) took part in 1940 in attack on Gibraltar.  In 1940, right after armistice the Vichy machines had only white stripe and round around national insignia on fuselage.  The yellow/red strips were introduced later. BTW - it could be interesting to dig out when it was exactly introduced?

Regards

J-W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Once I’ve sorted out my decals I will have leftovers for sure, if that helps, Jerzy

Martin

Martin, thank you. I have bought a big set of French national insignia by Techmod, but I have to look carefully on emblems if I have them...

Regards

J-W

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Jerzy @JWM! Have you attempted to correct the fuselage length like @AntoineG? If so what was your thought process for this? I am keen to do I but nervous about getting a seamless joint afterwards... 

Martin,

I should like but I have to look for proper scale drawings. I do not know the details (where it should be extended) yet, but generally getting of smooth join is not big problem if you only use not shrinking putty (like Milliput or Tamiya orange resin putty) - so one which fix due to chemical reaction not by evaporation of thinner . Basic for extending of fuselage is construction (reinforcement from back,) then application of putty with some excess, sanding with wet paper 600 and then redrawing of surface details.  Nothing to be very nervous at all. To be frank I expected that Leo has proper proportions, did not know so far that some reshaping is needed... :( I have to look in my archive what is wrong...Or do you have it already recognized?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy

There is no obligation on you to change the kit if you don't want to mate, the only obligation in a Group Build is to enjoy yourself !

Look forward to following this one, whichever way you decide to build it.

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Jerzy

There is no obligation on you to change the kit if you don't want to mate, the only obligation in a Group Build is to enjoy yourself !

Look forward to following this one, whichever way you decide to build it.

Cheers Pat

Pat, I know that, but this is worse - there is my internal obligation to improve accuracy of model since I started to know about a flaw. Since now I know, so I have to... ;)

Regards

J-W

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, JWM said:

there is my internal obligation to improve accuracy of model since I started to know about a flaw. Since now I know, so I have to...

I feel your pain there, I'd love to build out of the box but no matter how much I try, I'm always compelled to tinker...

• Like 1

Oh dear ... I didn’t mean to make anyone feel guilty :(. I’d love the kit to be accurate but as yet I do t have 1/72 drawings :(. My question was only based on Another BMer’s post....

Martin

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oh dear ... I didn’t mean to make anyone feel guilty :(. I’d love the kit to be accurate but as yet I do t have 1/72 drawings :(. My question was only based on Another BMer’s post....

Martin

Martin, it's not a problem, I'm thinking a number of laminates hollowed out with plastic card reinforcement with plasticard bracing on the inside. 

Regardless of making good the deficiency of length, it's restoring the surface detail, I don't fancy a full rescribe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Hi Martin

All good mate, it's great to have the info, then it's always up the individual what they wish to do with their kit / build.

I could recount the tale of a Frog Renzan / Rita build and the choice of Japanese trainer Orange / Yellow, but I can't as my therapist has advised against it in the strongest terms ! :frantic: :hobbyhorse::tomato: :phew:

Good luck Jerzy, when I build mine it will be out of the box cause, I'm a big girls blouse, sorry can't find an emoji for that !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

I googled "leo 451 drawings" - there are some of them. I will print some of them and will scake on copy machine to the 1/72 scale 

For example here are drawings and many other details (even too much of them)

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=16033.0

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2017/05/19/liore-et-olivier-leo-451/

http://www.pangea-systems.com/wwiiws/aircraft/LeO.451/LeO_451_internal.html

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art7887.htm

https://www.passionair1940.fr/Armee de l'Air/Appareils/Bombardement/Loire-Olivier-Leo-451/EN-LeO-451.htm

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww2planes/various/63210/view/liore-et-olivier_leo_45/

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww2planes/various/78687/view/liore_et_olivier_leo_451/

liore_et_olivier_leo_451-74787.jpg

leo451.gif

So a lot of material for scratch upgrading! Now I have to, no excuse... ;)

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy @JWM, Panic over! It looks like Heller moulded the LeO 45 with the tail cone of the prototype. All that is needed is a small extended, streamlined mod to the extreme tip. See the panel lines etc. They all match. 

tail compare

IMG_4940

Martin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I feel mine is in the wrong GB 😂

Not at all, Tony! I had an Amiot set up for the GB too but it stayed in my stash.... How about the "Fab Four"? ;)

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

How about the "Fab Four"? ;)

It's more than 25% done now... so in MTO III it stays! 😄

I am enjoying the Leo builds in this GB though, I had literally never heard of the aircraft before I ordered the kit but it's a classy bird alright. Couple of weeks off work now so I hope to be able to get stuck into my Amiot and my Thunderbolt...

5 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

It's more than 25% done now... so in MTO III it stays! 😄

I am enjoying the Leo builds in this GB though, I had literally never heard of the aircraft before I ordered the kit but it's a classy bird alright. Couple of weeks off work now so I hope to be able to get stuck into my Amiot and my Thunderbolt...

Ah now I understand. I had forgotten that your LeO isnt in the Heller GB! Its there is spirit, though ;)

Martin

• Like 1