AC-130A gunship

Hewy

Part two of my little gunship builds, and I'm  doing the Hercules AC-130A  ,the minicraft kit,  its a simple construction,  I've  dry built it and there's nothing to report in the way of fit horror stories, even the wings will plug in after painting to make this far less stressfull while painting , theres a short shot on the underside of the  port wing  that'll need sorting first off , and you get a stand in the box too, so choosing the scheme, i was going to do "azrael angel of death", but the full wrap around sea scheme (surprise package) has seduced me ,I'm  even tempted to do the early roman nose version of the prototype, also wrap around , it did see service apparently 

wnj2e7q.jpg

Short shot

SB7MXMy.jpg

Schemes

I like this one 

fch8r6q.jpg

And this

5eU8fm8.jpg

Next to its stable mate, dry built

yn3ZwwI.jpg

The wings do fit better than the photo suggests ,and although not shown, the clear section looks to fit quite well too

ZID1HlX.jpg

Cheers all I'm  off to do some glueing

• Like 11

I am really glad that you have brought a Spectre to the party Glynn, she will make an ideal stablemate for your excellent AC-119.

Looks like she should build up nicely once you have sorted that short shot.

As for schemes I would really like to see the early Roman nose one as it just looks so different and is something I plan to do in 1/72.

Really looking forward to this one mate.

• Thanks 2

welcome along with another gun-toting beast!!!!  :thumbsup:

I do like the squashed nose early model, you don't see these very often at all.....so that one gets my vote.

Good luck with this build, one I'll follow with interest.

• Thanks 1

Ok , I've  decided on the early prototype with the roman nose ,

Apparently when the camo was first applied the light grey undersides were left  , "I'll be doing this interpretation" ,later they were painted green .  before black?, the aircraft was christened in its later versions as "vulcan express" and  super spooky,  it now resides in the usaf museum in Ohio  ,  please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything

Ok ,a bit of rhinoplasty,  and I've made  some openings for the buisness end, 

oQ6pL4g.jpg

Nacells have been assembled and the short shot has its second filling

zIWxCPK.jpg

Other wing 

NljafwP.jpg

Cheers all

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've  got the fuselage together and made the cut to accommodate the roman nose,it fits quite well,as with my other gunship the 119k stinger (in the same scale) the wings will be able to be fitted post paint,which will help no end with the scheme, again it will be a wheels up in flight model,

@Corsairfoxfouruncle i believe you like the roman nose 130, not our usual scale though 1/144

woMphIj.jpg

The buisness end

BGRMe4l.jpg

Test fit of the wings, i sprue glooped the joins down the fuselage and all the joints need tidying, then, camo time

Cheers all

Glynn

f1oc2Ap.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Corsairfoxfouruncle i believe you like the roman nose 130, not our usual scale though 1/144

Im a huge fan of the Herkypig, but for some reason the early “A’s” with the Roman nose always appealed to me. The oldest one in the USAF used to be based at O’hare when I was in my teens. I was able to crawl through it more than once at local airshows. Id love to do a couple of C-130’s including at least an early and Late AC version. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im a huge fan of the Herkypig, but for some reason the early “A’s” with the Roman nose always appealed to me. The oldest one in the USAF used to be based at O’hare when I was in my teens. I was able to crawl through it more than once at local airshows. Id love to do a couple of C-130’s including at least an early and Late AC version. 

We're in for a treat soon with the zvezda kit dennis,it looks a good one, and someone is bound to to a nose jobe conversion sooner or later,some great schemes to be had too

• Like 1

Good to see your Herc coming together Glynn, and very nicely too.

The wings do look like they will be a good fit too which will help you with the painting.

I hope that the Zezda kit lives up to expectations when it comes out and that it does well as, like you say, there are no end of great schemes out there for them.

• Like 1

it's great to see her with the new nose on, I really do like the look of her with it, certainly different to the nose we all know.

Good idea with the wings, that'll make life a bit easier, I wish I could have done the same with the tail of my Tornado!

Looking forward to see some colour on her.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys ,much appreciated comments, @trickyrich the nose fit flawlessly after i cut the other one off ,and for saying its an old,ish 1/144 scale kit i was quite pleased im ashamed to say other gbs have been a bit of a bridge to far to catch up on at present but i will look in on your tornado ,does look good with the roman nose though, @modelling minion i hope the zvezda kit comes up trumps too ,I've already got one ordered 🙄,been looking at schemes already,

Ok I've got the herkypig in primer and the windows masked off ,I've rescribed the panel lines where they were sanded at the fuselage seams ,there looks to be some further work on the nose and where the panel lines meet the cockpit area, happy so far though

Tmch7XP.jpg

cMXAwh0.jpg

M7tpNaC.jpg

a4ohfPG.jpg

Cheers all

Glynn

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The primer shows what a good job you have done on sorting any seems out Glynn.

The contours of the old Roman nose are shown up a treat in your pics.

Cheers craig a little sanding here and there and it'll  be sea camo time, early in the week hopfully looking at the props ,i reckon they'll  need cutting off and fettling, and refitting ,but thats for another day

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Triet Cam said:

Nice work you did. Look like very well surface preps that will no doubt improve the first paint layers later on.  I like how the kit's clear parts were molded with surrounding panels. That helps a lot with sanding seams. 

Yes ,the clear part with a bit of fuselage molded on  turned out an easy fit ,

Cheers , mr surfacer 1000 is the primer straight  out of the can,  I've just fettled the nose area and rescribed  it, all good ,I'll  update tomorrow 

• Like 1

Seeing as its Halloween i thought I'd spend the day working on something "spooky" 🤗

Still got the undersides to do, and a bit of fettling, but hopefully this one will make through,  I've  done the camo freehand without masking so far although I'll  have to mask the wavey line of the grey,

Cheers all

Glynn

JWdygKP.jpg

W6MVLjd.jpg

And with the wings plugged in for a little  look see

HD02By0.jpg

26dgseD.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks craig, yes the wings fit really well and those panel lines do line up  ,I'm  looking forward to my zvezda 130  landing , crud and custard  or that nice Japanese one in the box i reckon ,i finished the undersides tonight , i started the paint work yesterday ,my trusty cheapo airbrush served me well, i had to strip it down first though,and give it a deep clean , i got some good lines but for some reason the darker green which is a semi gloss was a bit more difficult to put down without being a bit thicker than I'd have liked,a semi flat coat should  bring it in line , the undersides are done too now ,that was semi gloss but went down a treat, (strange ),maybe finished this week👍

• Like 1