1/72 MiG 29 SMT Trumpetez or Zvezda ?

MigMadMarine

Hello to all, I would like to mount a MiG 29 at 1/72 the SMT version, the GWH kit at 18 is still too expensive for me. I hesitate between the Zvezda and the Trumpeter, what are their differences, which one is the "best" knowing that I am looking for a simple kit to assemble, detailed with a lot of parts. Thanks for your help

Trumpeter has more panel lines and rivets details, however they blew the shape of the "hump" (well, they've got this area wrong for all 29s). Zvezda got the shape right, however big question is if you are going to notice any of this difference if you are not having both models side by side and not too much familiar with 29.

The Zvezda is my favourite of the two options. The shape is better, Zvezda has better options as far as the underwing stores are concerned and the Trumpy kis lacks the prominent chaff / flare packs around the jetpipes that the Zvezda does give.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, Doom3r said:

Trumpeter has more panel lines and rivets details, however they blew the shape of the "hump" (well, they've got this area wrong for all 29s). Zvezda got the shape right, however big question is if you are going to notice any of this difference if you are not having both models side by side and not too much familiar with 29.

Is at least Trumpeter 1/72 9-12 spine, fine?

Luigi

On 10/3/2020 at 5:08 AM, Silverkite said:

Is at least Trumpeter 1/72 9-12 spine, fine?

Luigi

I haven't seen that one. I've built few years back SMT and 9.13. These both look looked a bit wrong (I grew up next to Air Defense base where 9.13s were based). Oh, one thing I completely forgot: I am not sure if I've seen that on MiG-29s but usually on Russian airplanes from Trumpeter you do not want to read stencils if you know Russian language. Since I this is my native language I've made a mistake of using magnifying glass to read stencils for Su-27 when I got that model... I have suspicion that they just hit a keyboard in a Cyrillic layout at random keys to generate it.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Oh, one thing I completely forgot: I am not sure if I've seen that on MiG-29s but usually on Russian airplanes from Trumpeter you do not want to read stencils if you know Russian language. Since I this is my native language I've made a mistake of using magnifying glass to read stencils for Su-27 when I got that model... I have suspicion that they just hit a keyboard in a Cyrillic layout at random keys to generate it.

Thank you for that information.