WW1 0.303 Hotchkiss MG

Courageous

Hi knowledgeable people, quick question. I'm currently working on a WW1 'Whippet' and wanting to open the doors so you can look inside. Interior pics only show the ammo racks but not the boxes. I'm not sure how the ammo for the Hotchkiss is loaded; belt, drum or 'sticks'? This leads onto the question as to 'How was this ammo stored in the Whippet?' The stowage frames show relatively thin 'boxes' but who knows. Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart

Outside view and inside view of the ammo box.  As noted above, it held 6 short flexible belts.  Each 'link' held 3 rounds with a 6-round starter link, as the gun's feed mechanism couldn't cope with single-link belts.  In reality it's flexible strip rather than a belt.  The original fixed strips were just unmanageable inside a tank.

spacer.png  spacer.png

Here are the 'belts'.

spacer.png  

Here they are on the weapon (ejection side) with the rarely-seen case catcher bag and the detachable dismount stock.spacer.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

rarely-seen case catcher bag

Cheers for that Das, always wondered about the waste brass rolling or not about the insides.

With a 0.303 round being about 3" long, I make those ammo boxes about 3"x6"x14" in size (1mm x 2mm x 5mm in 1/72)

Stuart