1/144 Authentic Airliners PanAm 747sp

I've had this kit for quite some time but never got around to building it. AA kits really need no introduction and suffice to say construction went with no issues apart from me dropping it on a couple of occasions and having to repair the damage!

Livery choice was almost no contest as I remember regularly seeing these at Heathrow in the late 70's/early 80's and as, in my opinion, no airliner model collection is complete without at least one PanAm 747 PanAm it was. I was also considering SAA so maybe if I get the upcoming EE kit I'll finish it in the early SAA livery.

Decals are from the Welsh models kit printed by Liveries Unlimited, blue cheatlines from 26, cockpit and cabin windows are from AA Decals and there are a few details which I printed myself.

Paint is Halfords Appliance White, Humbrol Polished Aluminium Metalcote for the belly, wings and engines. grey areas are Halfords Racking Grey and the coroguard is my own mix.

Here are a few pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and any comments gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 55
  • Thanks 3

Hi Ian, that is really impressive - a superb model beautifully displayed and photographed. It must be pretty heavy!

I don't generally model American airlines but if I ever get round to a 747SP (it won't be Eastern Express!) PanAm will definitely be an option although I always thought the SP suited Mandarin livery as well.

Thanks for sharing and well done as always.

Dave G

I am a (big) sucker for 747's and even though something about the 747SP doesn't sit right with me (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.) this is a 747 in a classic scheme with a cheatline, so what is there not to love?

Fabulous as ever. Keep up the amazing work.

Hi Ian-great to see you back on BM, and true to form another beauty emerges from your hangar! Seriously well done with the SP it’s sensational.

I keep checking the AA website to see if it’s back in stock, as I really want to have a crack at a Saudia RR bird.

cheers,

Nick.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

8 hours ago, Viking said:

I agree you made the right choice, a 747SP just has to be done in Pan Am livery!

Thanks John, there are some great sp liveries but PanAm and the sp just go together so well and having seen them so often I've always wanted one.

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

It must be pretty heavy

Yes Dave, it is! Just a tad under 700g this compares with 870g for the 747-100. I quite like the Mandarin livery too I like the double cheatline. I think any future sp will be SAA though as I also remember them at Heathrow late 70's/early 80's.

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

even though something about the 747SP doesn't sit right with me (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.)

Yes it's certainly quirky but that's part of its charm Alan!

52 minutes ago, Chanex said:

Hi Ian-great to see you back on BM, and true to form another beauty emerges from your hangar! Seriously well done with the SP it’s sensational.

I keep checking the AA website to see if it’s back in stock, as I really want to have a crack at a Saudia RR bird.

cheers,

Nick.

Thanks Nick,

Just had a bit of a block recently plus a new job and less time to model.

It was good to get this one finished as I have had it since Kurt first released it!

Which Saudia livery are you planning, old original green or the more recent blue tail?

15 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Outstanding Clipper. Does the SP stand for Superbly Presented? 👌🏻👌🏻

Haha, good one! Thank you for saying so!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Very nice SP. I've got the Welsh Models kit waiting to be built - can't decide on livery though. Could be American, Korean or Air Namibia. But the one that's really calling to me is NASA's SOFIA aircraft - which will need some modification work, and if I'm really feeling adventurous might just end up with the door open and the telescope showing!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, even in 144 this is one big bird! The cabin window decals are new to me, they realy give some depth to the interior.

Spot on choice with PanAm livery, remember seeing them flying out of Heathrow a lot as a kid.

Stunning build and nostagia.

Matt