1/72 Eduard Bf110C-3 3/ZG26 U8+EL

Hello again gents :) 

As my Hurricane builds are drawing to a close and there is still a month to go, I thought I'd go for one more attempt before closing time: 

DSCN1580.jpg

It's the Eduard Bf110C/D from the Profipack edition. I've previously built three of these in the C-1, C-6 and D-0 variants (you can't build the C-6 from this boxing of the kit, there was a special edition which is still fairly widely available, and Eduard are releasing a new boxing shortly which contains the resin parts for the conversion as well as the standard C/D parts) and my memory of them is that they went together very well. I may not have time to finish this one, but I've already done better than I expected or even hoped in terms of completions, so if this one comes off it will be gravy :D 

Here's what you get in the box, a whole lot of plastic:

DSCN1583.jpg

... including separate fuselage halves for the C and D versions, as well as some pre-painted etched parts and a canopy mask. Not much you need to add to that, but as 'luxury items' I have the Quickboost exhausts for this kit and a set of Eduard's own superfabric seat belts:

DSCN1584.jpg

I wanted to do a mottled aircraft as frankly my mottling skillz could use some work; I've got in mind an aircraft of ZG26 with a white nose and narrow fuselage band which I have on a Superscale decal set somewhere... now to find it...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

I found the decals:

DSCN1587.jpg

As mentioned they are from a rather old Superscale set that I partly used for an earlier Eduard kit in the Bf110 STGB, just before I moved from Aberdeenshire to Dundee... which was getting on for six years ago now! An interesting thread for me to revisit as at one point I mention that I am going flat hunting and one of the places I looked at the next day was the flat on the Dens Road where I ended up living for five years until I moved across the city to where I am now, in March this year. At the time I described the transfers as "rather ancient" and they haven't got any younger in the meantime, but neither have I, so hopefully we will make allowances for each other :) 

As indicated from the thread title (this thread I mean, not the old one) I shall be attempting the bottom choice on the instructions, the U8+EL of 3/ZG26 based at Yvrench during the Battle of Britain. I'm won't be painting it in the instruction's recommended RLM74/75/76 scheme as while there is still uncertainty about when exactly these colours were introduced, the idea popular in the 80's and 90's that it was during the later part of the Battle of Britain seems now to be largely agreed to be incorrect (and I'm not going anywhere near the 'squadron-level mixed greys discussion!) TLDR: I shall be painting it in RLM65/71/02. I haven't been able to find a single photograph of U8+EL but the illustration suggests a similar scheme to U8+GL of which some famous in-flight pictures exist, though some ZG226 aircraft were still wearing the older RLM65/70/71 scheme. The instructions aslo mention the spinners as being solid yellow; there is some variety in I/ZG26, some having the spinners apparently still in black-green, some with the spinner tips painted, some half-colour and half-RLM70. From this sequence of pictures of U8+GL mentioned above, it looks like a half-and-half spinner to me:

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-110/ZG26.I/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-110C-Zerstorer-3.ZG26-(U8+GL)-during-Battle-of-Britain-01.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-110/ZG26.I/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-110C-Zerstorer-3.ZG26-(U8+GL)-during-Battle-of-Britain-02.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-110/ZG26.I/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-110C-Zerstorer-3.ZG26-(U8+GL)-during-Battle-of-Britain-03.html

In the absence of any other evidence, I shall go with half-yellow, half-RLM70. Or maybe half-white (the I Gruppe colour) half-RLM70? The spinner colour does seem to match the white nose slightly better than the yellow 'G'?

Anyway; to business. First I went over the sprues and cut off all the parts that I won't be needing. I ended up with quite a lot:

DSCN1589.jpg

Looking at the parts, I noticed the 20mm ammunition drums nearly all had sink-marks on one side:

DSCN1592.jpg

I filled these with Mr Dissolved Putty which would have been perfectly adequate, but then I had a thought and rooted through my 'bits box' and found these:

DSCN1593.jpg

Which are a good deal nicer. They're Eduard Brassin parts from an armaments set for the Hasegawa new-tool H8K2 Emily. I don't know if the Japanese Type 99 20mm cannon was a licence-built copy of the German MGFF but the ammo drums are identical, so I'll use those instead - I've built two of the Hasegawa Emily kit and in all honesty while I enjoyed both builds very much I think it unlikely that I will build another any time soon, so I might as well :) 

So that's where I'm at now, next step will be to de-sprue, clean up and sub-assemble as much of the interior as I can before any paint becomes necessary...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Hey Ozzy, welcome along :) 

Purely for my own amusement - and clearly I am easily amused - I cut out the resin from under the grab handles on the 20mm ammo drums:

DSCN1597.jpg

I know; it's a barely-visible improvement in real life. is almost impossible to see in the photograph, and will be completely hidden when they are installed in the cockpit gunbay. Still, I regret nothing :) 

I also drilled out the slot for the shoulder harness in the pilot's seat:

DSCN1600.jpg

I know! That's invisible too! :D But as I said it amused me for a little while and that has some value in itself.

Preparatory to painting, I had a bit of a fiddle with the wings to see if I could do the undercarriage bays in RLM02 at the same time as I did the cockpit, to save on airbrush cleaning later on...

DSCN1596.jpg

... and before I knew it I had pretty much built the wings:

DSCN1607.jpg

While I was there I thinned the lip of the air intake on the starboard engine cowling (spoiler: You can't see it!):

DSCN1605.jpg

I made up a couple of 'paint kebabs' of the cockpit parts for ease of spraying:

DSCN1603.jpg

... and finally I sorted out my paints:

DSCN1609.jpg

RLM02, 65, 70 & 71. That's not subliminal advertising by the way, it's blatant advertising :lol: This is subliminal advertising:

You will buy Colourcoats paints... you will buy Colourcoats paints... you will buy Colourcoats paints... you will buy Colourcoats paints... you will buy Colourcoats paints

So off to the spraybooth later, I might be trying my neighbours' patience a little if I start the compressor at 05:30 :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I got the RLM02 applied to the interior parts and the wheelbays:

DSCN1611.jpg

Now comes a whole lot of detail painting and adding etched parts...

The radio sets and various electrical boxes are nicely moulded:

DSCN1613.jpg

... and you do get a decal to apply to this if you wish; the alternative...

DSCN1614.jpg

... is to grind off all that detail, which I did, then painted it the nearest dark grey I have to match these:

DSCN1616.jpg

That row of square bits in the middle. They're incredibly detailed, and include separate dials (parts 30 above) which are microscopically small. However I have done it before and I am reasonably confident I can do it again. Inbetween that and assembling the instrument panel I can do some detail painting on the other interior parts and fit the seatbelts etc.

Just as well as I have plenty to be getting on with, it's been raining for about 18 hours now* and even the dog lacks the enthusiasm to go out in it :D 

Cheers,

Stew

* And Dundee, because of its' estuarine position, often dodges bad weather coming from the west, indeed it is claimed to be the sunniest city in Scotland. Yes, I know that's a low bar :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Thanks largely to the rain, which did eventually taper off in the afternoon, I got the detail painting and etched parts added. I have to say that the Eduard 110 in 1/72 is a little beauty; the interior all goes together well and the etched stuff is all useful, fits where it is meant to and does give a 'busy' impression to the cockpit area (apart from the rudder pedals which I did not enjoy bending and folding; I lost the toe-strap off one of them but consoled myself with the knowledge that no-one would ever be able to see this). Here's the completed cockpit floor:

DSCN1618a.jpg

DSCN1621a.jpg

There was some discussion on one of the other threads (sorry, I've forgotten where it was) about the colour compressed air cylinder for the 20mm cannons, I lost track of it before any conclusion was reached, but I painted mine blue with two red stripes as per this post here

Starboard sidewall:

DSCN1623a.jpg

Port sidewall:

DSCN1625a.jpg

Around the time of the post linked above, there was also a lively discussion on the colour of the cable run on the port sidewall, in the end I went with yellow - as I have above - reasonably confident that no-one can prove it wrong :) 

Finally, I installed the cockpit floor to the starboard sidewall. I have mispositioned one of the 20mm drums; Eduard only indicate a position for five of them and six were carried. I did find out the position for the sixth one (on the floor under the radio gear as shown here) but misremembered; I might see if I can hoick it out and re-fit it:

DSCN1627a.jpg

And that's where we are. Hopefully this week I can get the fuselage closed up and the wings and tail attached :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Very nice work Stew, really like to Ammo Drums. Looks like a great little kit, and the speed your working at you'll be done by what, Sunday?

Great stuff!

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Hi Stew,

this is a brilliant and supersonic build! Superb!

Although it is well documented that life has a tendency to frequently be too short, it is a well known axiom that wasting an inordinate amount of time on silly, eventually invisible microscopic bits of plastic is not only therapeutic, but makes other people realize that you are so bleating mad that it is best to leave you in peace and not disturb you! And it is a hell of a lot better pastime than watching any politicians on the TV.

Me like very much!

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thank you gents :cheers: 

19 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

and the speed your working at you'll be done by what, Sunday?

You jest sir, but...

DSCN1633.jpg

They say it's an ill-wind that blows nobody any good; someone on my floor at work had tested positive for CV-19 over the weekend and as a result we were all sent home so that the office could be deep-cleaned. Given a free day, I started some test-fitting and... well, one thing led to another. I had originally planned to leave the nose section off as it will be painted white and I thought I could save myself a little grief by painting it and the nose guns separately afterwards, but I remembered that the one place I had needed filler on my previous builds of this kit was the nose section, so I bit the bullet and fitted it now. The white part will be easy enough to paint and mask off - I'll need to do that with the fuselage stripe anyway - the guns however will require some very careful painting, providing of course that I don't break them off in the meantime.

There's actually quite a lot more to be done than the impression that may be given by the photo, the underwing radiators, the landing gear, the canopy - masking that will be an evenings work in itself I think - and no doubt lots of little bits I haven't even considered yet.

Looking at the pictures of U8+GL a couple of things are apparent - it has the bullet-proof windscreen fitted, and the rear-gunner's position has the gun ready for action without the rear canopy being slid upwards and back, so it has the cut-out in the rear canopy section. With that in mind I fitted the rear decking without the gun-stowage 'trough' behind the gunner's position. All this assumes of course that the U8+EL was kitted out the same as the U8+GL, but in the absence of any evidence of the real aircraft whatsoever that's the premise on which I am proceeding.

I suspect my next task is going to be masking the 'greenhouse'... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Well I didn't get round to masking the canopies yet; I de-sprued them, cleaned off the nubs and gave them a dip in Klear. I like to make damn sure the Klear has completely cured before attaching any masking to the surface, so I made up a canopy-kebab and left them on the windowsill in the sun all day (yes, we had sun [almost] all day yesterday :)) - 

DSCN1643.jpg

So I think that's what I'll be doing today, aside from self-administering a Covid test from a postal kit (I can't believe I'm supposed to be able to swab my own tonsils!)

I wasn't idle for the rest of yesterday either... I cut the reflector plate off the ReVi gunsight - the sight itself is nicely moulded but the plate is about 6 scale inches thick, and has a mould seam running right down the middle of it, so I'll replace that with a small piece of acetate:

DSCN1634.jpg

I fitted the underwing radiators -  the covers just click into place, so I decided to leave them un-glued so I can paint the radiator grilles more easily after the underside colour has been applied. I also built up the undercarriage units, again, they are not glued, just placed in position so that they set correctly when the glue holding the various parts together dries:

DSCN1637.jpg

Finally I gave the Quickboost exhausts - and a set of Eduard Brassin wheels I found in the bits box - a base coat of very dark grey:

DSCN1641.jpg

... and that's where I am now. Masking ahead; I can't get much of an enthusiasm going for that but it's like doing the washing-up: not that bad once you get started on it :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

I did get fairly busy yesterday; the wheels got a coat of semi-gloss black on the hubs and a couple of washes on the tyres with Citadel Agrax Earthshade:

DSCN1652.jpg

The exhausts got a coat of Tamiya Dark Iron, followed by a wash of Citadel Reikland Fleshshad (a brownish-red):

DSCN1651.jpg

I also did the canopy masking and fitted the clear parts. The front section is glued with poly adhesive and the rears section just tacked on with white glue, so it can be removed later and the defensive MG fitted.

DSCN1649.jpg

The canopy is not the best-engineered part of this kit, it is clearly meant to be displayed open which I suppose is fine if you intend to display it open*. I had to sand a considerable amount off both ends of the centre section to fit it closed. The mask set is also... well, better than nothing, but not terribly good, especially considering it's designed for Eduard's own kit. The two small more-or-less triangular pieces above the windscreen side panels are not provided at all, and the grab-handle thing just forward of the gunner's position does not have the centre 'hole' provided, which would leave it just a semi-circular lump. I made both of these deficiencies up using off-cuts from the tape surrounding the pre-cut parts of the mask.

Next step will be to spray the nose, fuselage band and spinners white, then a quick blast of RLM02 over the cockpit framing before moving on to the RLM65... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

* I don't intend to display it open and would very much have appreciated a separate clear part with the canopy closed. I know that each individual part cost money when designing a kit, but given that the clear sprue includes two rear canopies for the 'G' model 110 that argument would not really stand up.

• Like 8

I carried out my plan detailed above, but with one variation - I sprayed the RLM02 on the cockpit glazing before doing the white, which I had cause to be glad for when I did apply the white as I got some overspray which would otherwise have been visible on the interior glazing (though exactly how visible that would have been is a matter of conjecture):

DSCN1657.jpg

The white tail band and the nose were masked off, as were the undercarriage bays:

DSCN1658.jpg

... and the RLM65 applied:

DSCN1662.jpg

I'm not concerned about the detached tailfin, they were only tacked on with white glue so I could spray them blue, now that is done they will be removed for ease of painting the camouflage.

Next up is either the RLM02 or RLM71 for the uppersurface camo patterns, I'll need to work out which is best to go first. I think I have a mask set for the camo in one of the bits boxes, last used it over five years ago, will be interesting to see i) if I can find it and ii) if it still functions after all this time :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Yesterday I applied the RLM02 for the uppersurface camouflage:

DSCN1663.jpg

I found the LF camouflage mask set; despite the fact that it had been in storage for over 5 years - and had previously been used twice - it was still remarkably sticky and saved a lot of time and Tammy tape-work. The RLM71 was duly applied over this:

DSCN1673.jpg

Still not that happy with my mottling but I'm relying on the transfers to detract the eye away from it a bit, as well as covering some of it up :D 

I couldn't resist removing the masking tape from the white areas to see if I'd had any undercreep from the subsequent paintwork:

DSCN1678.jpg

That's a win anyway :) 

Today I'll be attaching various parts, the tailfins, the landing gear etc. I think I'll leave the most knock-offable parts - the aileron mass balances, aerials and pitot - until I have applied the transfers. All told I should, all being well, be on course to finish this by the end of next weekend :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Still not that happy with my mottling

& there was me thinking it was pretty darn good. Ok, it maybe it is slightly definite but not horribly so. I've just come to this thread Stew, nice going on this, useful too with having several of these in stock. I think you're right though, the decals will pop out & subdue the mottles. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

There are so many great builds within this large GB, it’s so easy to miss them. Coming up very nicely Stu, clear coats help blend in the paints, so I’m sure the mottling will look even better then it does now.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents :cheers: 

My pictures disappeared for a while which was a bit of a freak out, but they appear to be back now, something to do with the forum upgrade I guess...

Anyway this week I have been mostly applying transfers and setting solutions, plus adding some of the final small, small things:

DSCN1682.jpg

DSCN1684.jpg

While Eduard do provide a pretty comprehensive suite of stencilling, I shall limit myself (for the sake of both my eyesight and my sanity) to the most visible ones, the POL triangles, cowling instruments etc. Still hopefully on course for a completion this weekend :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

My pictures disappeared for a while which was a bit of a freak out, but they appear to be back now,

Hate to disappoint you Stew but I cant see them. All I see is gray boxes with numbers in the upper left corner. Its most likely the upgrade at fault and will check later when even less people are on the forum. I usually get better results when the U.K. is asleep. 

EDIT: if i touch the number I can go directly to your host and see the photo’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hi Dennis, thanks for letting us know - does that include the pictures I just posted, or just the older ones? 

IIRC this problem when it occurred before could be fixed by clearing the cache, not that I remember how to do that... :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Dennis, thanks for letting us know - does that include the pictures I just posted, or just the older ones? 

Initially it was your most recent post but having taken a look through the entire thread its random. One or two photo’s from each post is a the grey/blue box with numbers in the upper left corner. Im still pretty sure it has to do with the forum and in the past it tends to get better with less traffic on the forum. 

Very nice work Stew.  I've been a bit slow catching up with this. Your cockpit work is excellent particularly considering this is 1/72 scale. 

I plan to do  similar scheme except mine will be GL. Guess why.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I plan to do  similar scheme except mine will be GL. Guess why

Uh, documentary proof that it actually existed? :D 

Well I seem to have finished; in a flurry of activity yesterday evening I applied the matt coat, exhaust staining, exhausts, navigation and landing lights and rear gun and removed the masking:

DSCN1686a.jpg

I'll get the glamour shots done later, light permitting :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4