Tamiya 1/24 Honda NSX - Mildly Tuned

Here's a build I finished recently for a JDM themed build-off on Instagram. I had only recently added this kit to my stash so the timing was pretty good. This was the stock Tamiya Honda NSX kit that I added a few modifications to. The base kit is pretty good, my only complaints being that the body was a bit wavy, and the A-pillars, which need to be the thickness they are to be in scale but that makes them incredibly fragile - fortunately I only broke one of them.

NSX_Solid_1_1920x1080

I swapped the kit wheels to a set of Aoshima 19" Volk TE37s, added a front splitter and side skirts made from sheet styrene and modified the rear wing into a NSX-R style one. 

NSX_Solid_2_1920x1080

The colour was a mix of Metallic Blue, Black and Silver which was then clearcoated with Mr Color GX100. Exhaust tips are aluminum tube - same size as the one I put on my BMW 2002 but it looks a lot more in proportion here to my eye.

NSX_Solid_5_1920x1080

Since the kit comes with moveable pop-up lights, I thought I would add some micro LEDs to them to light them up. I didn't do any of the other lights as the full width rear light panel would be tricky and I didn't want to miss the 4 week build timeline.

NSX_Interior_1920x1080

The interior is box stock with the exception of adding a clear plastic cover for the gauges for a bit more realism, embossing powder for carpet, and a gold shift knob to match the wheels.

NSX_Engine_1920x1080

Most of the engine is hidden once assembled, but I added some wires and tubing, bare metal foil for hose clamps and a shiny red for the valve covers and intake cover. One of the requirements of the build-off was that the photos had to be on a solid background but that wasn't going to stop me from shooting some extra shots in a more dramatic studio style:

NSX_Solid_6_1920x1080

NSX_Solid_4_1920x1080

And then some with a photo backdrop:

NSX_Diorama_1_1920x1080

NSX_Diorama_3_1920x1080

Thanks for looking!

Martin.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

The two dark shots with the lights on are amazing!

Thanks Jeroen, those are 4 minute exposures in a pitch black garage, bouncing a light off of a white ceiling and then turning on the LED headlights for about a second.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gt6mkiii said:

Thanks Jeroen, those are 4 minute exposures in a pitch black garage, bouncing a light off of a white ceiling and then turning on the LED headlights for about a second.

Wow... I never would have though that. I had no idea you could do that 🙂 

Yet another very nice build from you. I have to admit though that I prefer the photos on the plain background, but those with the lights just look excellent - very well built and photographed in all pics.

• Thanks 1

Amazing build and I love the colour, really works with the gold alloys.  Also, the led lights is an awesome touch.  Might try adding those to my Subaru build when I start it :) 

Can I ask where you got the industrial style background for the last two photos?  I made a decent countryside one from images off Google for my classic cars, but I've really struggled finding suitable urban/industrial images of the road mainly, for the modern cars.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Can I ask where you got the industrial style background for the last two photos?

Yep - check unsplash.com  - Some of my backgrounds and roads I shoot myself around town but that concrete background came from there. You might need to tweak the photos a bit to get them square. I've found photos that I like and then I'll correct the perspective so that they work as a background.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...