USAF A-7D

SoftScience

Hi folks, 

My next (and likely final) project for this build is this Fujimi A-7 in a Testors box. I used to absolutely adore Testors kits when I was young, and seeing these boxes really brings back some good memories.

IMG-20200929-221341.jpg

I bought this kit on ebay, and it came with a little surprise. I'm not sure what ejection seat was used on the a-7, but I don't think it's whatever this is. Can anybody help me out?

IMG-20200929-221350.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the info, conehead.

This kit is VERY basic, but at least the shapes look right. Maybe with a closed canopy, the basic seat provided will do.

Or maybe I'll whip something up. We'll see.

For now I glued the intake/chin parts to the fuselage halves. This should give me a cleaner join on the side than if I glued then together and then onto the completed fuselage. 

IMG-20200929-225650.jpg

Easier to put a shim between two halves that it is to build up a potential stepped joint.

• Like 3

They were difficult to find in the US during the 80s and 90s. And greedy Marco Polo and MRC imports priced them so high that kids (like I was at the time) couldn't really afford them anyway. 

I've built a few since then (A-6, F-4K, F-14. A-4). I found them to be okay, but certainly not worth what Marco Polo and MRC were asking for them, 30+ years ago.

• Like 1

Oooo welcome along with a camo SLUF!!!! :thumbsup:

One of these in this scheme is definitely on the build wish list...have the decals just need to model.

As we've seem before some of these "basic" model produce wonderful models.

I do agree Fujimi did turn out some lovely model, their 1/48th Luftwaffe aircraft, particularly the Fw-190's were awesome!

Well good luck with this one, should be a fun build to follow! :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

I pulled down my Hobby Boss A-7 to see if kit bashing these two models would be feasible, and also to see why exactly the HB kit looks so funny.

What it comes down to; really, is about 1mm at the ventral side. The hobbyboss kit is just a bit too flat.

The Fujimi kit is the part sticking out from behind. Everything lines up except for the belly.

IMG-20200930-214031.jpg

This makes the intake flatter and wider looking.

IMG-20200930-214056.jpg

IMG-20200930-214618.jpg

The Hobbyboss kit also taper much more in plan view, which makes the nose look pointier.

IMG-20200930-214124.jpg

IMG-20200930-214601.jpg

And just for fun, here are the cockpits, side by side.

The Fujimi cockpit is notably wider, and lacks any detail behind the seat, but has nice side panel details. Hobbyboss' seat is only marginally better.

IMG-20200930-214842.jpg

So a kit bash is likely out of the question.

But the HB isn't as horribly disfigured as I thought it would be. Maybe I'll build them side by side. Just need to check if I have vietnam decals for the HB kit.

• Like 6

Whilst the HB A-7's do have undeniable shape issues they also have quite nice detailing, a real shame that they didn't get the major shape of the front end right as they would be a very popular kit in both 1/72 and 1/48.

A dual build would be really good and would help to show where the 2 kits have their good and bad points and I'm sure that somebody on here will have some Vietnam era decals for your other build if you can't find anything suitable in your stash.

Some progress on the Fujimi kit.

Here is the cockpit, such as it is. Nothing special, but it should look.good enough under a closed canopy.

The instrument decals cause me some concern, as they seem mostly resistant to setting solutions. They eventually bedded down, but little of the raised detail beneath them is showing. I'll try hot water for the external decals, once I get there.

IMG-20201007-200357.jpg

And here is the cockpit in the fuselage. The fit of the two halves wasn't great, but nothing a bit of sanding and filling can't fix.

IMG-20201007-215008.jpg

• Like 3