A-1H Skyraider

Tato

Hello again everyone!

This time I bring you the mighty Skyraider! This is a kit I finished in 2018, and was built with the idea of trying new techniques, tools and paints, to see how far my skills would go. It's the venerable, but still good Monogram kit. This are the things I did during the built:

1.- First time using Acrylics and Lacquer paints (long time enamel painter).

2.- I completely rescribed the kit.

3.- I modified the nose to be able to fit the cowling, engine, and lower chin from a dead Tamiya kit. (Monogram is undersized).

4.- Modify a little bit the front fuselage in order to accept the windscreen and canopy from the same Tamiya kit (looks better than Monogram's canopy and windscreen). 

5.- I scratchbuilt the landing year, as they didn't come in the box.

6.- The wing cannons were replaced by modified needles.

7.- Tail antenna same as above.

8.- Added a True Details seat.

9.- Quickboost wing and fuselage pylons.

10.- Fuel tank from the Tamiya kit.

11.- True Details wheels.

12.- First time using oils and watercolor pencils for weathering.

Cammo was airbrushed freehand. Also the kit decals were used.

And I think that's all! Maybe not perfect, but I like the result. 

Some in-progress photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the finished model:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it.

Tato

• Like 29

Really nice job on that one. I love the way the colors turned out, especially on the outer wings. Certainly doesn't look like a first time using Acrylics to me.

I have a couple of the Monogram Skyraiders and at least one of the Tamiya ones and to be honest I have not built a Monogram one since the 1980's

when I was in High School.

Todders

Hi Tato, 

Very nice job on a very cool bird! I like it very much. 

One comment if I may - IMHO, the shading of the panel lines might be too strong and uniform. I think that variation of the intensity and the color of the wash would add more interest to tha already good paint scheme. It might be the lighting though, so I could be completely wrong. 

Again, well done. Thanks for sharing. 

Best, 

Nikola

Isn't it great when you experiment with different paints and techniques and your model comes out so very well? I'm very impressed with your work!

On 29/09/2020 at 23:07, Todders said:

Really nice job on that one. I love the way the colors turned out, especially on the outer wings. Certainly doesn't look like a first time using Acrylics to me.

I have a couple of the Monogram Skyraiders and at least one of the Tamiya ones and to be honest I have not built a Monogram one since the 1980's

when I was in High School.

Todders

Hi Todders,

Thank you very much for your words! I found that Acrylics are easy to work with, much more easy than Enamels (for me at least). The Skyraider was painted with Gunze Acrylics, but lately I've been experimenting more with Lacquers (MRP and Mr. Color). I've gotten even better results. Those are my main paints richt now.

Those Monogram kits are lovely. Old by today standards, but they still look good when finished. I love them!

On 30/09/2020 at 06:09, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Tato, 

Very nice job on a very cool bird! I like it very much. 

One comment if I may - IMHO, the shading of the panel lines might be too strong and uniform. I think that variation of the intensity and the color of the wash would add more interest to tha already good paint scheme. It might be the lighting though, so I could be completely wrong. 

Again, well done. Thanks for sharing. 

Best, 

Nikola

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for your feedback! And I 100% agree with you. Looks to uniform. I missed the opportunity that the black basing gave me. I think I'm still a little heavy handed when using the airbrush. But well, as we say in my country, practice make the master!

On 30/09/2020 at 08:47, SAT69 said:

Isn't it great when you experiment with different paints and techniques and your model comes out so very well? I'm very impressed with your work!

Hi SAT69,

Thank you for your very kind words. Yeap, the feeling is great. Sometimes can be a little frustrating during the build, but the feeling we get when the model is finish exceeds all the rest!

Tato

• Like 1