1/48 A-10 Warthog airfield diorama.

I forgot to post this here I did in the aircraft ready for inspection forum. It's an A-10 Warthog I made for my mate who served in Afghanistan with the Royal Marines.  He loves the plane and I managed to do this in a week and a half with the help of my better half, she did the groundcrew and the generator and other equipment. It's all from Hasegawas USAF ground crew set which I think really adds scale I'm not one for making dioramas so I'm not great at figure painting. I have made a good few bases and for them I usually get a chopping board or something like that. In this instance it's a cupboard door from IKEAs bargain corner and the concrete is a tube of Pollyfilla smoothed with a steel ruler and painted with acrylics and the lines between the concrete is Mr Paint rubber black painted in a thick coat so it has the look I'm looking for where it's got a bit of shine in the light.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a figure in the kit I thought I could make into a Royal Marine so it's painted in a way that looks as close to that as possible. The gun is the Avenger cannon from the kit which the instructions will.tell you to put inside the aircraft but it can be made separately as there are two muzzles for the gun so there's no reason not to display it, a waste if you insert it if you ask me. spacer.pngspacer.png

There is one thing here, so I broke the canopy and as I was under a crazy deadline with the build I went onto Hannants hoping but not expecting a replacement canopy but I couldn't believe it AFV Club happen to make a replacement canopy for the Hobbyboss kit, when I received it it is a direct mould of the original part with a coating on the inside it's a purplish/yellow tint in some light and looks perfectly clear in others, it's actually really cool. spacer.png

spacer.png

So this was my best effort at a diorama and a model in 1/48 scale.  If not for my other half I would not have finished this in time this took 1 and a half weeks, it was 11 or so hours building and painting at a time and I'm very happy. I hope my figure painting skills get better with time I paint them and give them a wash and I've no other techniques than that. I hope you guys like it, I want to make more dioramas as I often just build aircraft but dioramas give a real sense of the size of the subject so I will keep trying. I do appreciate constructive criticism as it's always good to know what could be done better and yeah I'd love to know your thoughts, enjoy the photos!spacer.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks man, as far as dioramas go I don't think this has much going for it but I'm a beginner with dioramas. I've been making jets years but dioramas not so much still learning haha.

That is one very cool-looking 'Hog. I've always found it ironic that the US air-force hate this aircraft with a passion, but the troops on the ground love it.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...