Another Mustang STGB - Ford Mustang! Chat

vppelt68

While looking for a model for this, I was surprised by the number of Skylines that are available.

Or maybe we can get a manufacture company (i.e. ford, general motors) allowed as a STGB. 

I don't believe a car would ever get a standard GB, so this option would allow a more varied choice.

But that would be up to the illustrious leaders, as requires a bending of the rules.

just a idea

Paul

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TimJ said:

Does that mean I have to get the Fox body finished for page three of the build thread. 😉 

Only if it's topless ;)

As for another car GB, how about muscle cars as a theme? Obviously covers classic American tin, but could also be argued to include German autobahn stormers (BMW M5, Mercedes AMG's, Porsche 911), Japanese performance (Skylines, Supra's), and Australian muscle (barely road legal Bathhurst specials anyone?). Maybe set a qualification that it needed to come out of the factory with 300bhp+

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

How about basing the GB on an engine?

The Ford Flathead V8, or the Chevrolet small block for instance would be tight enough for a Single Type Group Build yet loose enough to really open up the car builds possible.

Tony.

I like that idea.

• Like 1

Had a look through the stash for Mustangs, but can't find the one I wanted...  I was planning to use the body, or at least the scoops from the Revell '69 Mach 1, so I can make a Boss 429 from the Boss 302 kit.  Drew a blank, so the remains were either binned (inner wings and engine went into an AMT Cougar), or it's one of those that ended up two or three to a box when we moved house.  🤔  I'm also missing a built '68 Shelby and a '70 Boss 429, as well as others I remember having. Pity I can't remember where they ended up.

This is what I was able to find, along with the newly purchased Boss 302.

mustangs-vi.jpg

So, plan A is still to rework the Boss 302 into a Boss 429.  That's the easy part, whipping the body into shape is going to take some work.  Plan B is to build the AMT '67 GT, but with a 390.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Had a look through the stash for Mustangs, but can't find the one I wanted...  I was planning to use the body, or at least the scoops from the Revell '69 Mach 1, so I can make a Boss 429 from the Boss 302 kit.  Drew a blank, so the remains were either binned (inner wings and engine went into an AMT Cougar), or it's one of those that ended up two or three to a box when we moved house.  🤔  I'm also missing a built '68 Shelby and a '70 Boss 429, as well as others I remember having. Pity I can't remember where they ended up.

This is what I was able to find, along with the newly purchased Boss 302.

mustangs-vi.jpg

So, plan A is still to rework the Boss 302 into a Boss 429.  That's the easy part, whipping the body into shape is going to take some work.  Plan B is to build the AMT '67 GT, but with a 390.

You could always build both of them 🤔

I could *start* both of them 😬  I'll be doing well to finish one at the rate I build.   I'm still hoping I can find that Revell '69; the rear axle would have been useful for the '67...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Six97s said:

I could *start* both of them 😬  I'll be doing well to finish one at the rate I build.   I'm still hoping I can find that Revell '69; the rear axle would have been useful for the '67...

Meh .....you have 3 months of building time more than enough mate 👍 Now pull yourself together man ....I reckon you can pull it off no problem 🙂👍

Well I've just finished building one Mustang and so now it's time for a little research before starting the next one.......Bring it on 🙂👍

• Like 2

Another loft dive and I found it, along with the '68 Shelby stuffed in with a '69 Torino.

old_revell1-vi.jpg

From some angles, the front end doesn't look too bad, but it is quite ropey.  🤨  I need to go back and see if the grille is still there, then I can post some comparison pics with the "fixed" Boss 302 issue and the AMT '69 annual kit.

old_revell2-vi.jpg

Now, do I use this body to practise the corrective surgery, or as the basis for my new build?   I wish I'd left the engine bay intact...

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

My kit is now in England so I am nearly ready for the GB. Just got to wait for it to get a quarter clockwise around the M25.😀👍

That should take about 3 years then 🙄

• Haha 1

I just learned about this GB via AndyJ’s posting of his ‘67 Shelby 350 (a very sweet build 👍)….and you guys are all in position at the S/F line holding your kits & parts….and the green flag drops TOMORROW???? Do you ever notice that sometimes life put’s one at the right place at the right time holding the right kit????? I’ve been fantasizing for a number of months about turning this kit:

spacer.png

into this car:

spacer.png

I have a resin 1/24 tear drop hood and a spare 1/25 scale Moebius ‘65 Dyno Don A/FX Comet kit with the HUMONGOUS 427 cammer that I could insert into this Revell 1/24 kit and it should still look HUMONGOUS, right? And I know a wonderfully talented custom decal maker who has offered to do the decals for me for a very reasonable cost…..also I’ve never participated in a GB before….….so what ‘da ‘ya think???? Should I….Should I…Should I…?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

I just learned about this GB via AndyJ’s posting of his ‘67 Shelby 350 (a very sweet build 👍)….and you guys are all in position at the S/F line holding your kits & parts….and the green flag drops TOMORROW???? Do you ever notice that sometimes life put’s one at the right place at the right time holding the right kit????? I’ve been fantasizing for a number of months about turning this kit:

into this car:

I have a resin 1/24 tear drop hood and a spare 1/25 scale Moebius ‘65 Dyno Don A/FX Comet kit with the HUMONGOUS 427 cammer that I could insert into this Revell 1/24 kit and it should still look HUMONGOUS, right? And I know a wonderfully talented custom decal maker who has offered to do the decals for me for a very reasonable cost…..also I’ve never participated in a GB before….….so what ‘da ‘ya think???? Should I….Should I…Should I…?

You're already in, no way to back out anymore! Welcome, that looks like a VERY interesting build to be on its way - now, where's my 🍿!?

V-P

• Like 1

Thank you V-P for inviting me to join this first GB, it’s an honor! I will do my best to post periodic progress and look forward to benefiting from the knowledge, suggestions and encouragement of all my britmodeler friends here. Let’s go!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

spacer.png

into this car:

spacer.png

Group Builds are great fun John and I reckon you've chosen a great Mustang to build looking forward to seeing your progress 🙂👍

4 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Thank you V-P for inviting me to join this first GB, it’s an honor! I will do my best to post periodic progress and look forward to benefiting from the knowledge, suggestions and encouragement of all my britmodeler friends here. Let’s go!

Spot on John....let's get ready to rumble 😉👍

22 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I'm warming up my nostalgia blinkers, ready for the starters flag. The outside world will have to wait a bit, I'm off to 1965 in the morning.

That's the spirit 🙂👍

Everything just doesn't always go as we planned. Sometimes last winter I bought a Revell 1:25 '68 Mustang GT kit from evilbay. The kit arrived, shrink wrapped, and I thought I had no specific reason to take a closer look at what I had bought. I had done my homework and read all the online reviews of the kit, so I'd just wait for July and the Mustang GB to get to build it. Half a year passed, and then in mid June I decided to take that closer look at how to build the Cobra Jet race version.

2021-07-09_11-23-45

See the 2/3 fullness of the box? Ok, I had already removed the sprues from their plastic bags to help me compare the parts count to the Revell supplied list in the instructions and that explains some of it, but: It appears I've been fooled with this one 😠.

I'm lacking

- body

- standard hood

- interior tub

- chassis

- rear valances

- drag slicks (of course)

- regular tires

- metal axles and

- screws (to join interior to body to chassis).

Since it's half a year when I bought it I just don't mind contacting the seller anymore. I should have done this first thing I received the parcel, and I can only blame myself for that.

I think I've learned a lesson, though, and fortunately I lost only a few tenners.

I have some very good experience from dealing with the Revell customer service, and I will probably write them an inquiry how much they'd ask for those parts, if they have them. I suspect a whole new kit would become cheaper or the same price, though, but what on earth would I do with all these parts, then? Care to guess why I chose to wait a few weeks before writing this here, btw... I'm now sufficiently cooled :rofl2:. V-P

• Sad 4