May I join this GB?

I have a 1/48 Monogram kit (P-51D) I'd like to build as an

RNZAF Target Tug.

Thanks in anticipation :D

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Morning, Unless it was build by Ford, I don't think it will qualify :wink:

Indeed, as mr. White already commented this is not the typical Mustang STGB Vol. X+, but one intended for four wheeled, land hugging vehicles built by Ford Motor Company - but Alan, these kits are plentiful so find one and join us 🙂

V-P

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

but Alan, these kits are plentiful so find one and join us

Hi VP

My Dad when he went to the US (Moffat Field, Ca), to train with the USN on the P3 Orion (for the RNZAF),

purchased a Mustang (1966 version I believe) with some of his Squadron mates  and drove around

California/Arizona sight seeing.

Will have to see if I can find one, would be a great remembrance for the family :D

I had totally forgotten about it - thanks for the memory prompt

Regards

Alan

• Like 7

Hmm 10th July....looks like i need to stretch out my current Mustang build for another week or so 🤔. Then again I will have a few spare days to do my research....something completely new for me 😂👍

Got myself an abandoned AMT Shelby GT350 kit from a well known auction site. As far as I can make out all the parts are here and the only construction is the front panel, rear panel, and the four body scoops have been stuck on. Badly. I'll be giving the freezer trick a go to remove them as I'm sure I can do better.

bLHJhRD.jpg

U1EdDsv.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

Got myself an abandoned AMT Shelby GT350 kit from a well known auction site. As far as I can make out all the parts are here and the only construction is the front panel, rear panel, and the four body scoops have been stuck on. Badly. I'll be giving the freezer trick a go to remove them as I'm sure I can do better.

bLHJhRD.jpg

U1EdDsv.jpg

Hi there I'm currently building this kit as a wip on the forum and I can confirm the fitment of the parts you mention is indeed poor. I managed to get the parts fitted in an acceptable fashion after much trial fitting and sanding/ filling but even then I wasn't 100% satisfied. However if you persevere you do end up with a decent looking Mustang imo 🙂👍

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Thanks for the head's up Andy, I'll have a peruse of your thread to see what pitfalls await

James

It's not a terrible kit at all James just needs a little fettling in places 🙂👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

I was watching that one, but decided to leave it as it had been started and the pictures weren't great.   I have the regular non-Shelby version and it's a decent kit, other than the rear axle being comically undersized - if such things bother you. 

1 hour ago, Six97s said:

I was watching that one, but decided to leave it as it had been started and the pictures weren't great.   I have the regular non-Shelby version and it's a decent kit, other than the rear axle being comically undersized - if such things bother you. 

Other than the bits stuck to the body, it's all untouched and still on the sprues. I'll see what I make of the axel when I get there, there's a few ideas I'm mulling over for the build ;)

James

• Like 2

I've just got my Mustang GB contenders out the loft, along with a pile of old magazines and adverts. They have been taken down to the shed, where I'm going to try to ignore them for a week or so. 

It might be worth another mention of the Revell Hertz Mustang kits still available on Amazon at £16 delivered. They have some pretty cheap '68 Dodge Chargers as well, if the thought of a Bullit diorama took your fancy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I hadn't realised that the start date was now so close.  Not sure now whether to build this:

Or the Mustang from this trio:

"Or" is not the word recommended to be used at the Group Builds section... it's better to replace it quickly with an "and". That's W.W.E.M.D

:winkgrin:. V-P

• Haha 3

These are the current main contenders.....

51289196285_ed3650cdf8_c.jpg

1. Mustang IMSA Racer.....Basically a Mustang bodied derivative of the great Zakspeed Gr.5 Capri, adjusted for IMSA rules at the time.  Current front runner because it's likely going to be an oddity in the GB.....and it's cool as hell.  Decals look iffy on this one so we'll what happens.  I may end up doing this one as a "body in white" as delivered to the team prior to the livery being applied.

2. 93 Cobra (kit bash w/ Thunderbird Stock Car).  Plan is to modify the base '93 Cobra kit and morph it into a road racer using various bits from the started stock car kit (part of an Ebay auction that I don't plan to build).  I've got too many irons in the fire right now, so this option is likely going to be too much work to accomplish in the allotted time...but it's an exciting project proposition for me.

3. Mustang Super Stallion.  I've had this kit for ages...I think I got this one as a gift from my parents back in the mid/late '90s.  Unique iteration of the SN95 that a lot of people today wouldn't be aware of unless they were around the Mustang scene back in the mid '90s.

4. Mustang GTP.  Another cool racer...but this one would likely be a bit of a stretch.  In reality the only thing this car shares w/ its street going cousin is the name.  Purpose built IMSA GTP prototype racer from the mid '80s.

As much as I'd love to Enzo them...time says no.  I'm far to slow of a builder.  <_<

• Like 5

I have managed to get a get a Monogram convertible kit I was after using Ebay for the first time. It is currently doing an American road trip that tourists would pay big bucks for. (Could be why the postage charges were for more than the kit.) Hopefully it should arrive in time for the start of the group build.

• Like 4

Great news guys re your kit purchases!

I'm on a four day holiday trip to Ahvenanmaa / Åland / Aland islands and rely on my phone only for the next days, so the "welcome and rules"- post will probably appear later next week, but in time before the kick-off at saturday 🙂

V-P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 1:02 AM, TimJ said:

It seems that most people will be building 60's Mustangs so I'll add a Fox body to the mix with this.

I do love a Fox body Mustang as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

I do love a Fox body Mustang as well

Maybe they should be called Samanthas?

Ok, I'll get me :coat:. I'm a teenager of mid -80's and those images kinda stick forever.

• Haha 6

Time to look forward, by the way, all the way to the year 2022. The Ford Mustang is the first car model to have its own Single Type Group Build. Some days ago I began to think what next, as if the Mustang STGB goes well and there's enough interest for another with an automotive subject? The model - or model name, at least - should have been in production for at least a few decades, provoke interest in both car loving people and plastic model kit industry. A colourful and successful racing history wouldn't hurt either. I know, you're shouting "Camaro!". But wouldn't that be a bit too obvious subject right after the original pony car? In my opinion at least, yes it would. So what should we do in an emergency, in the USA at least (112 here in Finland)?

Call 911! Jawohl!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Maybe they should be called Samanthas?

Ok, I'll get me :coat:. I'm a teenager of mid -80's and those images kinda stick forever.

Does that mean I have to get the Fox body finished for page three of the build thread. 😉

The subject of the next possible car STGB is something I've been thinking about for a while too. As you say the Camaro is a bit of an obvious choice after the Mustang which is my I was thinking Corvettes as I've got about 20 of those in the stash. The 911 is a good choice though and I do have a couple, or three if you include 934s 

• Like 1

How about basing the GB on an engine?

The Ford Flathead V8, or the Chevrolet small block for instance would be tight enough for a Single Type Group Build yet loose enough to really open up the car builds possible.

Tony.

47 minutes ago, TimJ said:

Does that mean I have to get the Fox body finished for page three of the build thread. 😉

The subject of the next possible car STGB is something I've been thinking about for a while too. As you say the Camaro is a bit of an obvious choice after the Mustang which is my I was thinking Corvettes as I've got about 20 of those in the stash. The 911 is a good choice though and I do have a couple, or three if you include 934s 

1) your imagination runs even faster than mine

2) Vette is definitely viable option too

3) yes, I had thought about including 930, 934 and 935 that are, in the end, 911:s

27 minutes ago, TonyW said:

How about basing the GB on an engine?

The Ford Flathead V8, or the Chevrolet small block for instance would be tight enough for a Single Type Group Build yet loose enough to really open up the car builds possible.

Tony.

An excellent point of view, Tony. Flathead Ford, small block Chevy and Chrysler Hemi(s) would be the three most obvious choices.

(driving a 3-cylinder 1,5 litre plug in- hybrid makes me feel a bit ashamed of it now)

27 minutes ago, moviedrone said:

No idea what I'll build but I'd like to be in.

And you are, welcome!

V-P

• Like 1