Another Mustang STGB - Ford Mustang! Chat

vppelt68

Have we ever had a single type group build for a car? What else could offer more variety in both colourful prototype cars and a plethora of kits than the original Pony Car the Ford Mustang? None! So; any scale, any material, any year, any kit, for street, for strip, for a raceway with turns too, factory stock, street machine, race car, Shelby or "secretary" Mustang, Mach 1, Boss 302/429, GT, Bullitt, 1964 1/2 to 2021; this is it as long as it's a Ford Mustang! Any takers?

V-P

1) vppelt68 (host)

2) Kitkent

3) johnlambert

4) cmatthewbacon

5) TonyW

6) Alan R

7) Nick Belbin

8. dbostream

9) Six97s

10) Ray B.

11) helios16v

12) HoolioPaulio

13) TimJ

14) Hockeyboy76

15) Redstaff

16) Spiny

17) wimbledon99

18) ...

Interesting Idea VP, I love the Mustang in all its guises with a few exceptions. Sadly since I came back 6 years ago I've tossed 1/2 dozen cars into the recycling bin. I get excited and get them almost to painting and then just lose interest completely. Sadly I just cant get motivated on cars like i did in my youth. I wish you well and I’m willing to help if needed, but wont be building anything unless my Auto Mojo returns. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Notice anything special? We are now a "Future GB" and we have the dates, not even very far away but beginning next summer :yahoo:

So gentlemen, we made The First Britmodeller Single Type Group Build for a Car come true! A big thanks belongs to our group build moderator Enzo Matrix, who used the power he has and gave us a green signal even before the usually required 25 members were signed - because this is not the usual wingy thingy or tracked themed group build :thumbsup:.

So beginning in 10 July and ending 10 October 2021, we'll be building Ford Mustangs!

V-P

• Like 7

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

Does anyone know what the 1/32 options are please and how they compare?

The straightforward options are AMT 1965 Mustang Fastback and  a Hornby Boss 302 Mustang. The AMT one is what you'd expect of a decent 1/32 car kit dating back to 1965; according to Scalemates the Hornby one was released in 2004. I don't have one, but looking at others in the series I'd expect it to be similar in style to the AMT one, possibly with fewer parts. The AMT box says that it has a "one piece body shell!" and "clear plastic windows!" so they must both be amazingly good features.

I guess my '65 Mustang can wait until July...

Peter

Thank you @Tripod and @vppelt68.  I must say that a '60s Mustang does appeal to me :).

Poking around a bit more I see that Aurora also did a 60s fastback - it looks very similar to the AMT kit, but is not identical.  Aurora also did a '64 convertible :coolio:

Cheers

On 13/10/2020 at 07:02, CliffB said:

Thank you @Tripod and @vppelt68.  I must say that a '60s Mustang does appeal to me :).

Poking around a bit more I see that Aurora also did a 60s fastback - it looks very similar to the AMT kit, but is not identical.  Aurora also did a '64 convertible :coolio:

Cheers

The Aurora one was updated to a Shelby GT350 (bonnet scoop added) for release as a slot car kit.  Monogram reissued the static version as a Shelby in the late '70s.   It looks a bit clunky in comparison with the AMT kit, which has the more accurate body.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-2000-ford-mustang--267013

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1

Thanks @Six97s and @HoolioPaulio

After a bit of thought, I've decided to go with the Goldfinger '64 1/2 convertible.  It's one my favourite films and the Furka Pass sequences are super cool.

There's a British connection too (quite apart from the number plates and 'GB' badge!), as the car was supplied via Alan Mann Racing, who modified the suspension to better cope with the tight twisties.

Here's a link to a couple of nice photos (which are copyright).

• Like 6