Another Mustang STGB - Ford Mustang! Chat

vppelt68

2 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Well I got the Revell Shelby Mustang GT350H kit of my list of various different Mustangs I would be happy with.  Probably wont do it black and gold though, for a bit of variety :)

Why not reverse the colours? It was the swinging, psychedelic sixties after all!

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Why not reverse the colours?

I did think about that, then I started wondering if there was another main colour that would work with the gold decals.  I've got plenty of time to brainstorm :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I did think about that, then I started wondering if there was another main colour that would work with the gold decals.  I've got plenty of time to brainstorm :D 

Dark green or burgundy might work well; I've got the Revell Shelby GT350H but I'm planning on sticking with the stock colour scheme so I can't wait to see what you'll do with yours.

• Like 2

Despite me never having been a Boy Scout, it seems I should have been.

Months to go before the GB kicks off and I'm more than a bit prepared! Three Mustang kits already here and waiting for the off, then today see's a fourth arrive. This time it's another Boss car to go with my Boss 302. The Monogram Boss 429 no less.

20201230-123625.jpg

I was looking at a sellers Monogram '55 Chevy Street Machine, debating on buying it. It's a kit I built when it first came out and I've wanted to do another for years now. The kit was in the Netherlands and postage wasn't exactly cheap so it was looking doubtful.

Checking the sellers other items changed things somewhat though. Also listed was a '63 Galaxie 500XL. I had the real deal a while back and a model would be nice. Also listed was a BOSS 429! The Galaxie and Mustang were both way under current prices as well. Contacting the seller, he informed me that all three could go in the same parcel for the same price as one.

This could only be Karma kicking in, and who am I to argue with that?

That's my lot for the GB now, a mere four of Fords finest! I always enjoy the Group Builds I enter, but I think this one will be something special!

Tony.

• Like 6

About time I get myself a Mustang kit and set my plans for this GB - I am the host, after all :winkgrin:

On its way to me from a shop somewhere in  Germany will soon be: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-4215-68-mustang-gt-2n1--111671

That's a 428 Cobra Jet fastback from the year I myself was born. There's a good enough for me OOB option for the Tasca Ford Super Stock race car. Super Stock and early Pro Stock racers are my favourites - Stocks too of course!

Happy new year all, not too many months to go before we start our little plastic engines!

V-P

• Like 2

I almost missed this build thinking it was another P-51 build!

I'm planning on joining with the recent Revell boxing of the 1969 Boss 302 - kit on order, no idea of final colour yet, anyone know what the plastic colour is? I've heard of (though never experienced) plastic colour bleeding through the paintwork, I might go for something orange though so hopefully that wouldn't be too far a difference (if it's moulded in yellow).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scargsy said:

I'm planning on joining with the recent Revell boxing of the 1969 Boss 302 - kit on order, no idea of final colour yet, anyone know what the plastic colour is? 

You'll be pleased to know that it's moulded in white. 😀

Still a few months for me to decide which one of mine I'll be doing. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Revell 1990 5.0 LX Drag Racer but things could change between now and then. 

• Like 4

On 31/12/2020 at 02:03, TimJ said:

You'll be pleased to know that it's moulded in white

So is the one I got https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-07242-shelby-mustang-gt-350-h--111536 and I expected it to be moulded in black.  Nice as I'm not doing it black, but not sure what yet.  Hoping to still use the gold decals though, and I've got an idea already...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bobson Dugnutt said:

Hi all. Just signed up and bought a kit to take part in this. I'm sure my work won't be up to your standards, but I'm looking forward to it.😀

Welcome and don't worry, we all build up to our very own standards only. The only thing that matters is that you'll be having fun while building Your Mustang :winkgrin:. Are you willing to reveal us more about your kit yet? V-P

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Welcome and don't worry, we all build up to our very own standards only. The only thing that matters is that you'll be having fun while building Your Mustang :winkgrin:. Are you willing to reveal us more about your kit yet? V-P

It's a Tamiya kit, but probably not the one you're thinking of 🤭

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just bough this restorer Bread Van Mustang. The last and fattest of the real Mustangs.

I think it might be an Otaki kit, but I'm not sure. It's a bit bigger than 1.24 by the look of it but the shape isn't bad. The period Turbo Vecs really date the thing but I quite like them now. Back in the day I thought they looked terrible.

Is this one OK to add to my build list?

It will be taken back to component parts and given a good refurb. The paint might restore, it's quite well done, but that dig on the roof panel might mean a repaint is necessary.

20210325-124640.jpg

20210325-124655.jpg

Edit:

I might be wrong about it being larger than 1.24. A check against a Monogram 1970 Boss 429 see's not too much of a difference.

20210325-142836.jpg

20210325-142853.jpg

The '71-73 shape was a bit bigger all round so that might explain the size difference. The wheelbases look close to each other. It still seems big to me, but not as huge as I first thought.

Taking a closer look at the wheels and tires add to the questions about the model. They might be original but they fill the arches quite a bit. The fronts are especially tight.

Internet searches have turned up nothing to identify the model yet, but I'll get there in the end. I had a motorised Otaki '74 Pontiac Trans Am back in the seventies and the construction and parts break down was the same.

And another edit!

It looks like it is an Otaki kit, a rebox from 1980. Scalemates have a picture of the box and it's got the Turbo Vecs and fat tires showing. 

Ford Mustang Mach 1

Rock Machine

Otaki | No. 0T3-150-1200 | 1:24

Rebox 1980

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon have the 1.24 Revell Hertz Shelby Mustang at £16 delivered at the moment. I ordered a pair and they have just arrived.

They ship in from the EU but I didn't get hit for any extra charges.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-07242-Shelby-Mustang-Model/dp/B0013MSOJI/ref=sr_1_45?dchild=1&keywords=revell&qid=1617560436&refinements=p_89%3ARevell&rnid=1632651031&sr=8-45

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, vppelt68 said:

So that must be the Cobra R then?

I'm keeping my eye open for one of those at a good price.  I've got a 1:1 non-R in the driveway.  B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2021 at 17:49, helios16v said:

I'm keeping my eye open for one of those at a good price.  I've got a 1:1 non-R in the driveway.  B)

A good price for the buyer or the seller :rofl2:

A guy here in Finland is asking 40€ for the Tamiya R kit - I think that's a bit high?

• Haha 1