F-15 50th Anniversary STGB Chat

Question for the knowledgeable, I know most kits are B/D masquerading as E's to various degrees but just got myself the 1/72 monogram kit, and seems it has the CFT's and possibly other bits can I do an E out of the box? Or will I need some additional parts? 

edit: had a look and seems doesn't come with the correct CFT pylons and I don't think I have a set spare.....so have to be a B/D

Edited by PhantomBigStu

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Question for the knowledgeable, I know most kits are B/D masquerading as E's to various degrees but just got myself the 1/72 monogram kit, and seems it has the CFT's and possibly other bits can I do an E out of the box? Or will I need some additional parts? 

edit: had a look and seems doesn't come with the correct CFT pylons and I don't think I have a set spare.....so have to be a B/D

I think there's some differences between the CFT and FAST packs Stu but I've a set of bits from the Academy E that you're welcome to if they are of any use.

24 minutes ago, Col. said:

I think there's some differences between the CFT and FAST packs Stu but I've a set of bits from the Academy E that you're welcome to if they are of any use.

Cheers, though I’ve decided to just built the monogram as a D and buy an actual E kit in a few weeks time either the new revell from my local or the easy build academy 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:18 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

All excellent choices Arnaud, Ive added you to the list. No obligation to actually join its just showing you're interested. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The Big H have a fair selection in 1/72 at the moment.

Fair enough. Was toying with doing a 1/48 but 72 will be healthier for the limited space I have to display in.

34 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Shall I add you to the list of interested members in the off chance you find a kit ? 

OK.

• Like 2

Most likely I will do an LN grey, not sure which time/mod though 😉

I think I have a recent  Academy boxing in 48th stashed exactly for this purpose! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had signed up for this GB, but obviously not. Anyway, I have the 'new' tool Hasegawa F15C in the stash, which I bought new from a long defunct model shop in York about 1989. I also have  a Cutting Edge Israeli F15 sheet that has a couple of F15Cs on it. In anticipation of the GB, I also have some PE from Dream Models and some Resitech Python AAM. I will be good to go on the 27th. 

First time I saw the F15 in the air was at Binbrook's Open Day in 1978, a couple from Bitburg were there. Loved seeing them, and although the Cs have gone from Lakenheath, still nice to see the F15Es when have a run up the East Coast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

I thought I had signed up for this GB, but obviously not. Anyway, I have the 'new' tool Hasegawa F15C in the stash, which I bought new from a long defunct model shop in York about 1989. I also have  a Cutting Edge Israeli F15 sheet that has a couple of F15Cs on it. In anticipation of the GB, I also have some PE from Dream Models and some Resitech Python AAM. I will be good to go on the 27th. 

First time I saw the F15 in the air was at Binbrooks Open Day in 1978, a couple from Bitburg were there. Loved seeing them, and although the Cs have gonfrom Lakenheath, still nice to see the F15Es when have a run up the East Coast. 

Welcome aboard always room for an Israeli Eagle. 

On 07/11/2021 at 15:22, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

having in mind a F-15D of 57th FW

A slight last minute change in the production schedule: Having got hold of Furball's USAFE MOD EAGLES sheet I am now in for a Hasegawa F-15C of the 57th FS, Keflavik AB with conformal fuel tanks (which I in tend to steal from one of my three stashed Hasegawa F-15Es).

Joining up with an Academy Ra'am in 1/48. The kit has some parts stuck together,  but it is well below the 25% threshhold. I recall the few bits I already finished, being a total bear, but lets see if I can resurrect the project. 

• Like 1

A query for any knowledgeable people out there. I am planning on adding some Python 3s AAMs to the wing pylons of my 1/72nd build. Searching photos etc, show the launch rails to be wider with a curve to accommodate the bigger tail of the Python compared to the Sidewinder. 

I haven't found any of the pylons as aftermarket so far, and resigned myself to building some using the Sidewinder rails in the kit with a new extension piece, but I would like some better photos or a drawing to help. A nod in the right direction would be helpful and much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

A query for any knowledgeable people out there. I am planning on adding some Python 3s AAMs to the wing pylons of my 1/72nd build. Searching photos etc, show the launch rails to be wider with a curve to accommodate the bigger tail of the Python compared to the Sidewinder. 

I haven't found any of the pylons as aftermarket so far, and resigned myself to building some using the Sidewinder rails in the kit with a new extension piece, but I would like some better photos or a drawing to help. A nod in the right direction would be helpful and much appreciated. 

Would these work ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/paragon-designs-72061-2-x-python-3-aa-missiles-and-mount-adaptors-and-rails--148255

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev4/3601-3700/rev3618-Isracast-32021/00.shtm

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thanks, yes I looked at these pages on Scalemates. Pity Paragon packed up. On reflection, he picture of the 32nd/48th Isracast stuff, I reckon can be scaled to give the dimensions for a scratch built adaptor. I suspect the Israelis made the missile to fit a Sidewinder launcher and so I have a known dimension as well as the missile body. 

Edited by Mr T
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks, yes I looked at these pages on Scalemates. Pity Paragon packed up. On reflection, he picture of the 32nd/48th Isracast stuff, I reckon can be scaled to give the dimensions for a scratch built adaptor. I suspect the Israelis made the missile to fit a Sidewinder launcher and so I have a known dimension as well as the missile body. 

Im sorry I should have explained The link was more for the drawings & photos so you could get an Idea. I wasn't trying to push you towards a purchase. I probably shouldn't post after a certain time at night as I don't always think before I type. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I probably shouldn't post after a certain time at night as I don't always think before I type. 

Consider yourself lucky if it only happens at night. Happens to me all the time!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

No apologies needed, you actually helped me formulate a cunning plan to make the parts. For the curved extension, I am going to look through my bits box for wing/fuselage  with a right bit of curvature and a flat section, or  something with the right curve  that can added to the flat bit. Possibly easier than trying to get the right curve on  flat sheet of card. I have found  couple of photos that might help. 

• Like 2