F-15 50th Anniversary STGB Chat

2 hours ago, Sam said:

Wish I could join. Have been looking for a year now for a box of that darn GWH MSIP2 grey Eagle… looks like they are sold out everywhere in Europe. Should I be able to secure one, I am in! 

I hope you can, just checked and even Sprue Brothers here in the states is out of stock. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:05 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I hope you can, just checked and even Sprue Brothers here in the states is out of stock. 

Found both, the light grey and the dark grey by GWH! Pickle-buttoned: Will have them shipped from a shop in Germany. Don‘t ask what they cost 😳

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marklo said:

0f008e1a-c792-4bbb-ac83-aa37d4f2a87d.pngCame across while trawling the interweb. Eligible? If so I think I’ll buy a second F15 for the GB

Yes most definitely allowed, other than the canards this looks like an F-15. Scheme looks good and not to difficult to mask out. Though I think Hasegawa may have kitted this at one time ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-02251-f-15-active-ifcs--1081109

Hi there Corsair, could you also add me to the list for this GB.

Another kit or two that I had planned for this year being the two F-15E Heritage jets from Lakenheath in the shape of Academy & Great Wall in 1/72.

Thanks again.

Martin

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi there Corsair, could you also add me to the list for this GB.

Another kit or two that I had planned for this year being the two F-15E Heritage jets from Lakenheath in the shape of Academy & Great Wall in 1/72.

Thanks again.

Martin

Counted

Caracal is dropping new decals for the Eagle. @Marklo these might help you ? I know they're 1/48 and not sure if that works but the artwork will help none the less. Youre bird is the 1st up from the bottom AF71290

https://caracalmodels.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b9b7ecdcd72c67917a07f3cec&id=b49097d89b&e=4f1cb892ef

https://caracalmodels.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b9b7ecdcd72c67917a07f3cec&id=2e53605423&e=4f1cb892ef

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Corsair - can you add me to this GB?

I'm hoping to get hold of a GWH F-15C in 1/48 and build it in the "Digital Flanker" scheme from the now retired Nellis Aggressor squadron. I have these Two Bobs decals ready to go (but no kit :D )

l_48-248f.jpg

It should go nicely, I hope, with my F-16 in the same scheme!

Edited by theaa2000
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, theaa2000 said:

Hi Corsair - can you add me to this GB?

I'm hoping to get hold of a GWH F-15C in 1/48 and build it in the "Digital Flanker" scheme from the now retired Nellis Aggressor squadron. I have these Two Bobs decals ready to go (but no kit :D😞

l_48-248f.jpg

It should go nicely, I hope, with my F-16 in the same scheme!

Welcome aboard, it will definitely stand out in a crowd. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Was going to enter the new Revell F-15E but I’m trying to limit myself with simple builds. But I think I want to do a modern C as I’ve only done early ones, the simplicity rule puts the new tool Hasegawa out, assume it’s the new tool academy for fairly up to date C? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Was going to enter the new Revell F-15E but I’m trying to limit myself with simple builds. But I think I want to do a modern C as I’ve only done early ones, the simplicity rule puts the new tool Hasegawa out, assume it’s the new tool academy for fairly up to date C? 

Welcome aboard Stu, looking forward to whatever you decide. 

• Like 1

This STGB is coming up fast on the outside!

I thought I would update The Mighty Spreadsheet with my choices for this one.  I have a fascination with early versions of - well - anything really.  Therefore both my builds will be from the 58 TFTW, the operational training unit which introduced the F-15 into USAF service.

The first build will be an F-15B in the early Air Superiority Blue scheme with very colourful rudders.

A number of early F-15s were given high visibility stripes so my second build will be an F-15A in the ghost greys scheme with yellow and black stripes on the wings and fins.

Both will be in 1/72 scale from the Academy kits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

This STGB is coming up fast on the outside!

I thought I would update The Mighty Spreadsheet with my choices for this one.  I have a fascination with early versions of - well - anything really.  Therefore both my builds will be from the 58 TFTW, the operational training unit which introduced the F-15 into USAF service.

The first build will be an F-15B in the early Air Superiority Blue scheme with very colourful rudders.

A number of early F-15s were given high visibility stripes so my second build will be an F-15A in the ghost greys scheme with yellow and black stripes on the wings and fins.

Both will be in 1/72 scale from the Academy kits.

Nice subject choices boss but I'm not a huge fan of the Academy kit due to its poor cockpit and ill-fitting forward fuselage. Hopefully you find them more satisfying as those two schemes are worthwhile.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice subject choices boss but I'm not a huge fan of the Academy kit due to its poor cockpit and ill-fitting forward fuselage.

True enough.  However, I have those in The Stash and I promised myself I would build from The Stash as much as possible.   So ignore my Belgian F-104G build.  :lol:       

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, airfixpeter said:

Put me down as I have a unboxed hasgawa 1/48 but the original decals are kind of unusable. 

spacer.png

But luckily I have another set spacer.png

Welcome aboard Peter, Our planes were 31 airframes apart on the assembly line. I will be doing 85-28091 of the JASDF. 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 20:27, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Peter, Our planes were 31 airframes apart on the assembly line. I will be doing 85-28091 of the JASDF. 

For a moment I wondered what you was on about then I looked at bit closer at my decal sheet and then that's what it was about. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Stu, looking forward to whatever you decide. 

Whether I enter a kit and what is still to be decided (yeah like I'm not going to get one), but made a pleasant discovered that a diecast with an erroneous canopy can he modifed with the hasegawa canopy, and I want to do a mod eagle scheme (and I have the same decals) so I think a mod-repair job will be definitely be happening.  Bit boring to do the same scheme but is this or lakenheath one which I also have a diecast of  or a training squadron0-F9987-CC-158-C-4-C9-A-A497-54-C2973-E7

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

It goes without saying I will be joining this one Dennis! 

I have two 1/48 kits in the stash, a Revell F-15E, which has some really nice looking tiger meet decals in the box. 

I also have an Academy F-15K Slam Eagle (missing front landing gear and some ordinance) I am not sure if I will build the F-15K or try to modify it to an F-15SG as I have the decals for this. I have built a couple of Academy F-15s, they are so so I would say. 

My original plan was to convert the Revell to an F-15SG, but the decals for the tigermeet scheme I think are too nice to not use. The F-15K decals are also super nice from cartograph so I may end up just saving the Singapore decals for a future kit. 

Decisions decisions...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

It goes without saying I will be joining this one Dennis! 

I have two 1/48 kits in the stash, a Revell F-15E, which has some really nice looking tiger meet decals in the box. 

I also have an Academy F-15K Slam Eagle (missing front landing gear and some ordinance) I am not sure if I will build the F-15K or try to modify it to an F-15SG as I have the decals for this. I have built a couple of Academy F-15s, they are so so I would say. 

My original plan was to convert the Revell to an F-15SG, but the decals for the tigermeet scheme I think are too nice to not use. The F-15K decals are also super nice from cartograph so I may end up just saving the Singapore decals for a future kit. 

Decisions decisions...

Welcome aboard sir, I’ve added you to the list on page one. All of your choices sound good, shouldn't be too hard to get a gear leg ? SAC makes landing gear sets in White metal, not the strongest but should sort you out. If not them then some brass/aluminum tubing and a couple of resin wheels should get you what you need. Markings wise they all sound good but the K snd SG would make for interesting variations not normally seen. You could do the Tiger meet option in the special scheme’s group build thats coming up ? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard sir, I’ve added you to the list on page one. All of your choices sound good, shouldn't be too hard to get a gear leg ? SAC makes landing gear sets in White metal, not the strongest but should sort you out. If not them then some brass/aluminum tubing and a couple of resin wheels should get you what you need. Markings wise they all sound good but the K snd SG would make for interesting variations not normally seen. You could do the Tiger meet option in the special scheme’s group build thats coming up ? 

I'll probably do the academy kit wheels up for a change. That's a good point about the special schemes GB later this year... I did have something else in mind for that but I think your idea is a good one! 

• Like 2

Plenty of original options combining Caracal decals and BAM conversion sets :)

• F-15SG
  • F-15SA
  • F-15EX
  • F-15QA
  • F-15STOL/MTD
  • Early F-15 with short speedbrake
  • NASA F-15
  • F-15C PASS
  • F-15I with new spine antenna

I'll probably join with an F-15STOL/MTD :)

Arnaud

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Plenty of original options combining Caracal decals and BAM conversion sets :)

• F-15SG
  • F-15SA
  • F-15EX
  • F-15QA
  • F-15STOL/MTD
  • Early F-15 with short speedbrake
  • NASA F-15
  • F-15C PASS
  • F-15I with new spine antenna

I'll probably join with an F-15STOL/MTD :)

Arnaud

All excellent choices Arnaud, Ive added you to the list. No obligation to actually join its just showing you're interested.