F-15 50th Anniversary STGB Chat

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

@Col. Do you really plan to use a Sea Harrier cockpit in the F15?

It might be a bit too small.

Even I'm not that daft :lol: 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oooh ... the decal cover sheet shows the F-15J that I wish to build. Its the green camouflaged one all the way on the right. Now to see if the decals are still available. 

Happy Hunting Dennis. The green scheme is rather lovely but on a -DJ two-seater remember ;) 

In the meantime, some inspiration...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve always wanted to recreate the multiple Review Build of 1:72 F-15 kits in Scale Models I think it was.  Must find it as I can’t remember whether it was two or three kits. Definitely at least Revell and Monogram but can’t remember if there was a third.  

I also remember @Graeme H years ago saying how old he felt when the F-15 first appeared in the US Museum at Duxford on one of his many trips to the UK. 

Sign me up please. 

3 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Got my grubby paws on this classic today. So sign me up! Chances are good I'll have hopefully gotten a Academy F-15C in the following year so might have 2 Eagles to build. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

I’ve always wanted to recreate the multiple Review Build of 1:72 F-15 kits in Scale Models I think it was.  Must find it as I can’t remember whether it was two or three kits. Definitely at least Revell and Monogram but can’t remember if there was a third.  

I also remember @Graeme H years ago saying how old he felt when the F-15 first appeared in the US Museum at Duxford on one of his many trips to the UK. 

Sign me up please. 

Welcome aboard Gentlemen. 

On 3/28/2021 at 12:15 AM, Rob S said:

Found it!  

It was in one of the 1974 Scale Models magazines in the “New to You?” Segment and the third one was the Hasegawa kit. 

Then in the February 1975 Scale Models there was a more detailed build of all three. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oooh ... the decal cover sheet shows the F-15J that I wish to build. Its the green camouflaged one all the way on the right. Now to see if the decals are still available. 

hi Dennis, I don't know if you managed to find these yet, but DXM has them for sale at the moment.

https://dxmdecals.com/shopping/ols/products/172-eagle-f-15dj-jasdf-aggressor-2013

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

hi Dennis, I don't know if you managed to find these yet, but DXM has them for sale at the moment.

https://dxmdecals.com/shopping/ols/products/172-eagle-f-15dj-jasdf-aggressor-2013

Yes I picked up a set a little while back. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmm...somewhere I have the Hasegawa 1:72 F-15E so maybe I could find some interesting markings for it. I'm not a big fan of low-viz grey schemes. Let me poke around!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Hmm...somewhere I have the Hasegawa 1:72 F-15E so maybe I could find some interesting markings for it. I'm not a big fan of low-viz grey schemes. Let me poke around!

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill might I suggest the Israeli or Japanese aircraft for more colorful variants ? Shall I add you to the list as a possible build ? 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Bill might I suggest the Israeli or Japanese aircraft for more colorful variants ? Shall I add you to the list as a possible build ? 

Sure, why not? Gotta build it sometime!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. JASDF - great idea!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon Dennis,

I like to join - having in mind a F-15D of 57th FW at Nellis AFB. Not sure Desert or Flanker scheme.

Never managed to get hold of a Hasegawa 1/48 F-15D (do they rellay exist?), but I think their F-15E can serve as a basis 😁

Stefan

7 hours ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Good afternoon Dennis,

I like to join - having in mind a F-15D of 57th FW at Nellis AFB. Not sure Desert or Flanker scheme.

Never managed to get hold of a Hasegawa 1/48 F-15D (do they rellay exist?), but I think their F-15E can serve as a basis 😁

Stefan

Hello Stefan Ive added you to the list, if you get rid of all the unneeded bits the idea is sound. Hopefully the conformal fuel tanks are extra and not molded on. .

* just looked at scale-mates instructions. You should be good to go, the tanks are separate add on bits. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Stefan Ive added you to the list, if you get rid of all the unneeded bits the idea is sound. Hopefully the conformal fuel tanks are extra and not molded on. .

* just looked at scale-mates instructions. You should be good to go, the tanks are separate add on bits. 

Thank you! I recall reading an older sniffish reveiw of the Hasegawa 1/48 F-15E "Multi Role Fighter" complainig that it would actually depict an F-15D with some additional parts.

That could pay off now...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why have I only just noticed this one?

Can I throw my name in the hat please.

Now did we get a positive yes or no on whif subjects....I have a plan in my head, the models themselves would be basically a stock F-15C and F-15E but the paint schemes/decals be completley fictional schemes loosely based on 48th Fighter Wing machines @RAF Lakenheath taking into account the USAF's current fad of painting any aircraft that sits still long enough in a throwback 'Heritage' scheme and that 2022 marks 30 years of F-15's at Lakenheath.

Cheers,

Gary

13 minutes ago, mungo1974 said:

Why have I only just noticed this one?

Can I throw my name in the hat please.

Now did we get a positive yes or no on whif subjects....I have a plan in my head, the models themselves would be basically a stock F-15C and F-15E but the paint schemes/decals be completley fictional schemes loosely based on 48th Fighter Wing machines @RAF Lakenheath taking into account the USAF's current fad of painting any aircraft that sits still long enough in a throwback 'Heritage' scheme and that 2022 marks 30 years of F-15's at Lakenheath.

Cheers,

Gary

Hello Gary… Ive added you to the main list. WHIF schemes Hmmmm, :hmmm: Im of the mindset that as long as they're plausible they would be ok. Now the units at  Lakenheath are historically rooted in these units. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/48th_Operations_Group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/48th_Fighter_Wing

That or possibly an RAF unit that was stationed at RAF Lakenheath. I could see the USAF doing a scheme to say honor the many RAF Anniversaries. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Lakenheath

WHIF schemes that are total made up fantasy I would say no to. There are plenty of options for Eagles out there. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wish I could join. Have been looking for a year now for a box of that darn GWH MSIP2 grey Eagle… looks like they are sold out everywhere in Europe. Should I be able to secure one, I am in! 

• Like 1