***finished***(351 Another Mirage IV)

PhantomBigStu

Had hope to be posting about what I had just won, but some lucky so and so snipped me at the death, got a second chance for the same later this week. Anyway got no heller kits currently aside from a Spit XVI missing its wings, but should I fail again there’s several good alternatives.

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 1

Seems it was a fantasy to want to do a Sentry, missed out on the airfix one as well, could do the earlier one with the TF33 Engines and try and replicate the current all grey ones but don't fancy that anywhere near as much as a non heller big build I have in mind, so have to fall back on the Mirage IV

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

It will be interestig to see how you get on with the circular "radome" thingy on the underside. I could not get mine to fit properly in both fuselage halves when I closed it up - if it fitted on one side it was a couple of mil adrift on the other. That I why I suggested not fitting it until after the fuselage was joined up, although it may requre a little surgery. Hopefully yours will be a better fit than mine as my fuselage did not line up very well.

Cheers

Pete

18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Stu,

It will be interestig to see how you get on with the circular "radome" thingy on the underside. I could not get mine to fit properly in both fuselage halves when I closed it up - if it fitted on one side it was a couple of mil adrift on the other. That I why I suggested not fitting it until after the fuselage was joined up, although it may requre a little surgery. Hopefully yours will be a better fit than mine as my fuselage did not line up very well.

Cheers

Pete

Mine fell out and I had to sand it down to fit from the underside. My fuselage fits ok as I used plasticard down the centre line. 

50733403856_10c8ab96c7_b.jpg

50732675103_5dc013fdf1_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Some actual progress as promised, load of sanding done and a couple of coats of paint on, Vallejo takes its time to dry so won’t get anymore before bed, Grey is a dodgy pot of Vallejo French Mirage Blue that comes up much greyer than it should be as per this build https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/fr/plesmf1b.htm but looks close to pics of the real thing and it’s been sitting around since my failed attempt at this a few years back 

50797778601_4b25b29fda_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

Hi Stu,

your Mirage IV is starting to look like one. Well done.

I have just now looked More carefully at your Mirage IV and it would appear Heller are wrong with the radome underneath.

It should not be circular, but slightly oval. Too late, and I am sure not many people care, but there you are.

Keep having fun.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

Fit on the canopies was much worse than that pic, have not had much motivation (and having tunnel vision focusing on the fighters and the Shackleton) and barely touched it since, but I shall make an effort see if I can sort this over the coming days. Fighters will be done by the weekend anyway matter the undersides tonight 

50876222537_68aa9d3f55_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

Suffered a lack of motivation but finally have attempted to sort the front end out, it failed, pva glue I used as filler came out in bulk, but realised given the windows are tiny, can get away with regular filler, round two to commence later once dry. Also nice large package arrived from Hannants to join another recent arrival :) 

50911361542_ec7de8a900_b.jpg

50910544993_d3e3489162_b.jpg

• Like 4

Sadly won’t be done in time, had a really iffy few days and the only build I worked on was my Shackleton, finally got it decal ready only to drop it and have another few days work to get back to that state (having a similar setback last week on another build). Suspect if I try and rush this my temper will intervene. So I shall put it away and focus on some easier builds I’ve been neglecting. 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that Stu, but completely understand. 

Definitely better not to lose the plot with a build and do something unrecoverable than put it to one side and return to it with fresh eyes after a period of reflection. 

I do like the look of your AWACs Boeing although I think that's a little ambitious to try and finish that instead before this Sunday ! :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to Paused (351 Another Mirage IV)
  • 5 months later...