1/72 Academy F-100D Super Sabre, "Pretty Penny", Vietnam, 1965

1/72 Academy F-100D Super Sabre, "Pretty Penny", 481 TFS, Tan Son Nhut AFB, Vietnam, 1965

This was another build that was sitting on the SOD waiting for some inspiration to finish it. The poor fitting insert in the belly for the cannon led to its stay at the SOD Hotel....

Flown by Lt Lt Peter Vanderhoef and Lt Jerry Sloame, Pretty Penny was named after Sloames Wife.

Other than the cannon insert, the kit goes together very well.  Not many parts to throw glue at and you have a decent Super Sabre for your collection.

Airbrushed using Tamiya paints and a Flory wash for the panel lines.  We all know that the standard Academy decals are rubbish so I was not expecting any different from these (I had aftermarket standing by) - I was pleasantly surprised in how well they behaved.  Very nice indeed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers all,

Phil

• Like 40

22 hours ago, JayBee said:

Really nice!  Looks like Academy use the old ESCI tooling from the mid 80´s including the same U.S. markings.

Also re-released by Italeri sometimes.

Yep I thought the same about that Hun being the old Esci kit and decal design and it is indeed a very nice build👍👍👍

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, Booty003 said:

We all know that the standard Academy decals are rubbish so I was not expecting any different from these (I had aftermarket standing by) - I was pleasantly surprised in how well they behaved

Phil,  I liked your model!  I have the same but from ESCI.

Let me ask You a question about the Academy decals.  Is the "U.S.Air Force" caption black or dark blue?  This is interesting to me because ESCI has it black, which is not correct.

And another question.  You did Pretty Penny on both sides, ESCI also does it on two sides, I like Pretty Penny on both sides, but on the Internet I have come across opinions that Pretty Peny was only on one side, did You not investigate this issue?  Or maybe someone can give a comment?

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 7:49 PM, Aardvark said:

Phil,  I liked your model!  I have the same but from ESCI.

Let me ask You a question about the Academy decals.  Is the "U.S.Air Force" caption black or dark blue?  This is interesting to me because ESCI has it black, which is not correct.

And another question.  You did Pretty Penny on both sides, ESCI also does it on two sides, I like Pretty Penny on both sides, but on the Internet I have come across opinions that Pretty Peny was only on one side, did You not investigate this issue?  Or maybe someone can give a comment?

B.R.

Serge

Cheers Serge,  the Academy 'U.S. Air Force' decal is black - is it supposed to be dark blue?  I could only see the port side of the real aircraft whilst looking for references so I put the Pretty Penny decal on both sides of the nose - purely because she has a nice bottom...!!!   🤣  I can live with it being wrong.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Cheers Serge,  the Academy 'U.S. Air Force' decal is black - is it supposed to be dark blue? 

Phil, to my great regret* 😭, yes - 99% should be dark blue.  I myself was shocked when I read this article**:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/11613-pravilnyjj-cvet-nadpisejj-USAF-i-U-S--AIR-FORCE.html

and discussion:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_72040.html

It could be dismissed as an intrusive advertisement of the decal manufacturer (yes, the author of the article "Up Rice" makes decals!) But he gives a link to

"US Air Force Bulletin TO 1-1-4 TECHNICAL MANUAL EXTERIOR FINISHES, INSIGNIA AND MARKINGS, APPLICABLE TO USAF AIRCRAFT."

where it is written:
"- USAF lettering in FS15044 Blue
 - U.S. lettering  AIR FORCE is applied in FS15044 Blue
 - Call-number (callsign) is applied only on the fin FS17038 Black (version TO 1-1-4, 1994-1998)
 - Call-number (callsign) is applied on the fin FS17038 Black and on the fuselage (alphanumeric) FS15044 Blue (version TO 1-1-4, 1965)"

With which it is difficult to argue.  Why did it happen?  "Up Rice" blames Kodak, who, in his opinion, deliberately shifted the colors of his photographic films towards warmer tones, making the dark blue color black.

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

I could only see the port side of the real aircraft

I  only see the right

side of the photo real aircraft.😁

B.R.

Serge

* - but imagine that I have on my shelf: F-84G, F-84F, F-86D, F-86H, F-89H, F-94C, F-100, F-101B, F-101C, F-102...and all have black "U.S. Air Force" on decal!

😭😭😭

**- I think You will find a discussion of this problem on the English-language forums, especially in the Russian article they hint at such discussions.

• Like 1