Germany cancels CH-53G replacement effort

Slater

I bet the J Arthur Ranks (a term of endesrment) were trying to screw the Germans over...Enter the mighty Merlin? ?🤔

You can bet Airbus helicopters are planning something for the future...not sure how the french like us helping out with Heavy lift in Mali 

Edited by junglierating

I read it as Germany telling Boeing and Sikorsky that they aren't willing to pay the money they are asking for, so try again.

I cannot see that there is any alternative; the Merlin can undertake a lot of the tasks the CH-53G is called upon to carry out, but if they want a true heavy lift capability the CH-47F or CH-53K are the only options. You can forget Airbus Helicopters coming up with something, I think. The French have already discussed the possibility of buying their own Chinooks.

6 minutes ago, junglierating said:

I bet the J Arthur Ranks (a term of endesrment) were trying to screw the Germans over...Enter the mighty Merlin? ?🤔

You can bet Airbus helicopters are planning something for the future...not sure how the french like us helping out with Heavy lift in Mali 

Well I wasn't expecting Germany to cancel that order!

I'm wondering why they haven't opted for the Chinook with a 22t MGW, even the AW101 is a good option with an 18t MGW.

I too don't see Airbus putting up the $10-20 Billion required to design a brand new helicopter of that type, without any firm promise of orders.

59 minutes ago, Slater said:

Presumably the CH-53G can soldier on for a few more years?

Both the German Sea King and Lynx will need replacing soon.

The Sea King will be replaced by the NH90 (I'm not sure in what numbers), there are no firm plans for a Lynx replacement.

I recall reading the German military budget is tight, hence they don't operate their Typhoons much (am I correct thinking they decreased their Typhoon order?).

8 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

(am I correct thinking they decreased their Typhoon order?).

not more than all other partner nations, cancelling Tranche 3B

but plans to order many more as Tornado and probably Tranche 1 replacements (and Super Hornets for nuclear duty?? :wall: )

14 hours ago, Slater said:

Presumably the CH-53G can soldier on for a few more years?

It will now.

13 hours ago, Slater said:

How realistic is the whole "Luftwaffe Super Hornet" idea?

They either buy a replacement for the Tornado in the nuclear strike role or they give it up. I'm leaning more towards the giving it up side of the argument.

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

It will now.

They either buy a replacement for the Tornado in the nuclear strike role or they give it up. I'm leaning more towards the giving it up side of the argument.

there is always the possibility to integrate it with the Eurofighter.... it is also not currently integrated with the SuperHornet...