Revell ‘British Airways’ A320-251N in 1/144

Here is my finished Revell Airbus A320-251N(SL) in the livery of British Airways registration G-TTNH. This has been my first build for nearly 5 months due to personal reasons, and my skills were a bit rusty. 

The build was a simple OOB although I had to change the engines as BA use the Leap 1A engines and luckily I had previously built the Revell A321 Neo kit which had both engines with it. I do like the new Revell airbus kit, it is well detailed and the only thing I don’t like is the fact that the A320 Neo kit doesn’t come with the landing gear. However, this wasn’t a problem for me as I was building this as a desktop model for myself. This is the first time I’ve built a kit without the gear extended.

The decals are another great example from RichW Decals and fit the model seamlessly. The photo real windows and cockpit are from Authentic Airline Decals The paints I used were Halfords Appliance Gloss white, Halfords Fiat Capri Blue which is a good out of the can choice for British Airways blue. The wings are Holts Grey with authentic airlines A320 decal for the coroguard sections. The greys and metals are a variety of Revell Aqua Colours. 

As this was going to be a desktop model, I wanted to try and find a ‘creative’ way to display it for the presentation photos. I opted to use cotton wool balls to create an ‘in-flight’ effect. 

As always thank you for looking and any feedback/comments are always greatly received. 

Regards,

Alistair 

BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo BA Revell A320Neo

• Like 38

Hi Alistair,

Welcome back! I must admit I've been a bit too preoccupied for modelling recently too.

No sign of rusty skills with this one it looks great. I love the presentation the clouds look real at first glance.

I've not got any of the new Revell Neo A320/321s yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time! Hopefully they'll bring out an A320 with undercarriage soon.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Alistair. An interesting and novel solution to Revell's bizarre decision to omit the undercarriage. 

Like yourself and Ian my modelling has been on the back burner recently. In my case that was due to eye surgery being delayed by Covid-19 but with the surgery now behind me I've found it a bit of a struggle to get my mojo back. There have been very few civil RFIs recently but yours is definitely an inspiration and I should be able to post a couple in the next day or two. Hopefully we'll encourage the other regular airliner builders to emerge from hiding!

I have an A321 NEO in the very early stages and I can't make up my mind whether I like it or not. Although it's an advance on the original tooling it makes me think of a big Revell E-190 and I find it a bit of a let-down compared to kits like the Zvezda 737NGs.

Good to see you back

Dave G

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Having wasted many hours (and costing both a A320 and A321 kit) on such unsuccessfully this summer, beyond fantastic to see one done :)

Thank you very much. Oh no, I meant to check back and see how you were getting on with your one as I remember you starting it. Ouch... yeah that’s a bit of an outlay for you! 

5 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Welcome back! I must admit I've been a bit too preoccupied for modelling recently too.

No sign of rusty skills with this one it looks great. I love the presentation the clouds look real at first glance.

I've not got any of the new Revell Neo A320/321s yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time! Hopefully they'll bring out an A320 with undercarriage soon.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much! It’s good to be back, I’ve missed doing them to be honest with you I just lost my motivation with stuff that was going on in my life. I really hope you’ll be getting back in to it again.

They are ok kits though I do think personally I prefer the Zvezda Airbus kits, one of which in nearly finished and will be a United A320 in the new livery which I hope I’ll be sharing very soon. The undercarriage would be a welcomed addition I’m sure. 

Take care and stay safe.

Regards,

Alistair

More the psychological cost that hurts, all the hours and the fact its pretty much confirmed I'm just not cut out for Civy modelling with the failures of that and the fact my A380 lies uncompleted in a box. Not a great summer, btw I have some spare pair of LEAPS should you want to do another A320Neo. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed Alistair. An interesting and novel solution to Revell's bizarre decision to omit the undercarriage. 

Like yourself and Ian my modelling has been on the back burner recently. In my case that was due to eye surgery being delayed by Covid-19 but with the surgery now behind me I've found it a bit of a struggle to get my mojo back. There have been very few civil RFIs recently but yours is definitely an inspiration and I should be able to post a couple in the next day or two. Hopefully we'll encourage the other regular airliner builders to emerge from hiding!

I have an A321 NEO in the very early stages and I can't make up my mind whether I like it or not. Although it's an advance on the original tooling it makes me think of a big Revell E-190 and I find it a bit of a let-down compared to kits like the Zvezda 737NGs.

Good to see you back

Dave G

Thank you Dave. I know, I’m hoping that when Zvezda release the kit they do it with the undercarriage option, along with the other extras they add to their kits! 

I know what you mean, and I’m glad to hear that your getting back into the swing of it again. You’re like me, sick of the sight of unfinished kits haha! I’m glad to hear that your eye surgery has gone well also. 

I know what you mean, and speaking of the E195, I am hoping I’ll get round to making that Flybe one when I can find the paint mix. I’ve heard Halfords can mix it up on request. 

look forward to more of your builds soon.

Regards,

Alistair

8 hours ago, mitchem said:

Wow! Where do I get a prescription for rust?

Excellent finish :thumbsup2:

Great presentation :thumbsup2:

Good to have you back :thumbsup2:

Mike

Thank you so much Mike, that’s a big compliment to receive 😃!!

Beautiful model! You have kept those skills in spite of what you state.

If I may, a suggestion to improve the photography bit: If you paint that background a sky color, and avoid -moving the model a bit towards you or changing the lighting angle- the projection of shadows on the background, I believe you may obtain an even more realistic effect.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 29/09/2020 at 19:03, PhantomBigStu said:

More the psychological cost that hurts, all the hours and the fact its pretty much confirmed I'm just not cut out for Civy modelling with the failures of that and the fact my A380 lies uncompleted in a box. Not a great summer, btw I have some spare pair of LEAPS should you want to do another A320Neo. 

Yeah I bet! Don’t say that I’m sure you will make an awesome civy build in the future! I have the BA A380 sitting around 😂! Oh wow, that would be excellent thank you!

On 29/09/2020 at 20:25, Abandoned Project said:

Good to have you back! Very nice presentation, the clouds are inspirational. No signs of rustiness on show.

Anything brewing? :popcorn: would love an update. 

Thank you very much, I have a United A320 in the new livery that is close to completion. 

50403956233_6b2842caf1_b.jpg 50404664546_8706a72bd0_b.jpg

Apologies for the poor photos, hopefully I’ll finish this build off next week and have it ready for RFI.

• Like 2

On 29/09/2020 at 23:04, Moa said:

Beautiful model! You have kept those skills in spite of what you state.

If I may, a suggestion to improve the photography bit: If you paint that background a sky color, and avoid -moving the model a bit towards you or changing the lighting angle- the projection of shadows on the background, I believe you may obtain an even more realistic effect.

Cheers

Thank you very much! Yeah i definitely agree with the idea of having a sky colour background and adjusting the positioning, to avoid the shadows! If I were to do an ‘in-flight’ presentation again, I’d definitely change the setup. Thank you for your feedback 😃. Alistair 

4 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Yeah I bet! Don’t say that I’m sure you will make an awesome civy build in the future! I have the BA A380 sitting around 😂! Oh wow, that would be excellent thank you!

Given was my fourth summer in a row I’ve tried civys that has ended with a body count and nothing finished I think it’s safe to write them off, why couldn’t more airlines just paint them grey, can manage that. Anyway the United one looks nice as well 

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

why couldn’t more airlines just paint them grey,

Hi Stu,

How about an RAF Voyager!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbus-A330-RAF-VOYAGER-Tanker-Decals-1-144-scale/124361144110?hash=item1cf480772e:g:A5EAAOSwAG9fHE9z

Sorry to hijack your thread Alistair.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Stu,

How about an RAF Voyager!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbus-A330-RAF-VOYAGER-Tanker-Decals-1-144-scale/124361144110?hash=item1cf480772e:g:A5EAAOSwAG9fHE9z

Sorry to hijack your thread Alistair.

Cheers,

Ian

One day, when Revell reissue the kit maybe, though I have actually settled for the alternative history voyager (even more shameless thread diversion, apologies Alistair) 

49410772511_a4bcc11bcb_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...