What badge is this? (French Armee de l'air)

RidgeRunner

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Ooo .... there's a thought! I'll look in to that! :) Thanks mate

It could be a possibilty. I posted a similar question here some time ago about a badge on a Max Holste Broussard. Not sure I ever found the answer. I think French AF insignia is unfathomable, even if you're French! 🙂  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

What kit were you building?

It's a resin kit produced by our own @Army_Air_Force here on Britmodeller. Not got around to building it yet as I'm sourcing the decals I need, but it looks very nice. Here's a linky to the thread about it...

Might be worth dropping him a line. It may still be available.

Steve

Ah ha, I have that too, awaiting some African decals :)

Magic! Looking forward to building mine too, but waiting for some bespoke decals. It's a subject I'm surprised Heller didn't tackle at some point.

I was really grateful to @Army_Air_Force for producing the Broussard. It was one of the elusive kits I needed to complete a collection. Only one left is a Fiat G.46, and that's untouched too, bar an old resin kit which is hen's teeth.

• Like 2

I found this. Caption says Leo 45. Same badge but a bit closer up, so hopefully might help identify it if any French AF experts tune in. I'm leaning towards the Liore and Olivier logo, but could be wrong.

50396672743_43214749d0_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks mate. Apparently it is the Atelier Industriel de l'Air at Maison-blanche. I just need to find a good image of that ;)

Sounds like you have a result then! Had a quick Google myself, but the only logo I could find looked different. Nailing down good images of these French logos and AF unit badges is a proper headache!

There's a good set of colour art for the combat units prewar/earlywar in Chris Ehrengardt's recent work of French camouflage and markings.  It doesn't cover the second line units or the postwar badges (although when it comes to the front-line units the badges are likely still to be recognisable - the higher level units will have differed in title.

I believe ModelArt has at least one Broussard on one sheet.  Jean is readily approachable.

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It looks like I have a few hours trawling French sites ;(

Now! I wonder if the badge was this, but without the script and a different shaped surround, as this was the badge for the AIA Maison-Blanche aero club. It could be?

50397032413_37780649ee_c.jpg

@Graham Boak

Thanks Graham! I'll check that out. The aircraft I'm hoping to model is the one owned by Graham Warner back in the 1980s, but I think the scheme was an authentic one.

Steve

Thanks again mate but this is a different organisation. It is the flying club of the AIA. A good thought, though. 

I realised that, but it's possible the AIA flying club used AIA's logo themselves. The grapic seems to have a similar profile.

I found that other logo too, but the one on the aircraft looks too elongated.

I have the Model Art set for the Broussard going spare. It covers 3 civil aircraft and the following Military:

ELO3/45 & GRSA 76 (Algerie), EL43 & 10S (Aero Navale) if anyone is interested.

Gone to Martin.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
Updated

Hi

Martin

There is some info on this a/c in the book  Histoir de's Escadres De L' Armee de Air Tome 2 page 185 SASM 99 section,  not a good info on the insig aim still looking the B on the tail was red and there are red bands on the wings and some poss on the fuselarge the codes are Navy style codes used at the time bit like US codes some one dose them on a sheet i think i have it some where need time to look it out.

Steve i replyed to your Max Holste Broussard post on the 29-06-2019 with all the info you need.

hope this helps.

I will post any info i find in your build Martin in the Heller GB OK.

Paul