165 Caudron - Renault C635 "Simoun" ##FINISHED##

JOCKNEY

On 10/11/2020 at 17:55, JOCKNEY said:

I haven't used a spray can in ages

Spray less than you think you need to! A quick pass from 8” or so away and have a look to check between passes, turning a bit between each one to get even coverage. You can always add more, but I’ve had more dripping disasters than I care to remember...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

It's looking very nice BTW. I think ebay/model hobbies should have you on commission! Must... resist...

Regards,

Adrian

[EDIT totally failed, it was the gift set that did it for me. Must try harder...]

[EDIT EDIT could you at least get us a discount code with model hobbies?? :) ]

• Haha 1

Looking good Pat. I cracked this kit open on Tuesday to work on during our weekly club build night. I was prepared for the 'bright scheme and interesting to read that it may have been silver and red. I've looked out a suitable looking yellow - Xtracrylix RLM2 - but may consider a silver instead- to contrast with yours. I will post up my pics in this GB shortly, JP

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, BS_w said:

excerpt from pilot's note C635

Love the annotation on the diagram 'Anneaux a Parachute'!

On my first ever flight, a British Caledonian BAC 1-11, aged about 8 or 9, I looked under the seat and was horrified not to find a parachute!

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Love the annotation on the diagram 'Anneaux a Parachute'!

On my first ever flight, a British Caledonian BAC 1-11, aged about 8 or 9, I looked under the seat and was horrified not to find a parachute!

In an emergency :poo: I'd be a lot more worried to find there wasn't one !

• Haha 1

Hi Jeroen

Not done the yellow yet as I have being designing and building the bespoke spray booth

IMG_5407

Ok you're right it's just a cardboard box on its side, but it has to be stealthy as I'm using the utility room to spray in !

IMG_5409

So, white undercoat first then yellow later today, I promise !

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

Will be nice to see it in yellow and red!

I know it's supposed to have been silver instead of yellow, but I did finish mine according to Heller's ideas before I knew, and I like it so much I may also finish the coming 1/48 version the same way...

Good luck with the yellow and later masking.

• Like 1

I've joined the thread as a) I don't have this plane in my stash and b) Yellow! My least favourite colour to spray.

I need an excuse to buy one and I'm wondering if this plane was used in WW2 by the french and there are decals available..... goes and googles.

Oooo yes it was.

• Haha 1

As promised it's very definitely YELLOW !

If you look carefully, you can see some of the paint attached to the aircraft as well as the box :banghead:

IMG_5410

Bit of a set back with the canopy, looks like the paint was still wet when I turned it over, as I've got a dodgy looking bit on the roof of the canopy. Not sure what to do, probably leave to harden properly and touch in with a brush I suppose.

IMG_5412

As this is my first time spraying use rattle cans I suppose I shouldn't grumble.

I'll try and get the prop fitted later, so I feels I'm getting somewhere 

cheers Pat

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Hahaha... aah, spray cans... At first I thought you'd thrown a bucket of paint over the darn thing!

Well it looks like you were able to hit the plane as well. 

• Haha 7

Put it somewhere warm for a day or two Pat, let it it harden off completely. Once fully hard, gently sand and repair any damage with very fine W+D paper, 1000 grit or above, followed by an even more gently sand of the whole plane, just to even out the surface. Then give it one more hit with the yellow. Things should flow out perfectly and you can give yourself a big pat on the back. Yellow is just about the most difficult colour to paint. Making this your first spray job is a brave move.

You could drill a hole through the flat area at the front of the plane to take a rod of some kind to use as a sort of lolly stick to hold the plane. That would make spinning the thing around while you spray a lot easier. You can also keep it turning if you get too much paint build up and runs start forming. It's difficult to use a spray bomb on small objects as the paint comes out at an alarming rate. Getting the distance right is not easy.

It's looking good so far, you're nearly there!

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, JOCKNEY said:

it's just a cardboard box

I see you and I use the same High Quality Spray Booth Company.  I have upgraded mine with bits of tape and a jaunty angular look.

That is a bright yellow aircraft Pat!  Very nice indeed!

• Thanks 1

Don’t knock cardboard spray booths... our Apple Mac came in a great looking box with flip top lid and I still use for my spraying. Come to think of it, I reckon I use the box more than the computer, it’s such a painful thing. 

Now this is looking really good Pat. Yellow is tricky, however the white undercoat was the way to go. Charlie’s fine W & D comments to smooth things out are recommended too. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

So having finally bored of throwing yellow paint all over the place I ended up with this

IMG_5420

IMG_5421

IMG_5422

And all was going well until while while removing the masking....

The side windows fell in whilst trying to remove the masking tape, and yes you are correct it was the last piece !

IMG_5423

As you can see I'm now making a hole in the front of the aircraft to try and recover the part then devise a special tool to hold in place while I glue it......

Trying the resist the temptation to abandon it altogether 

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Trying the resist the temptation to abandon it altogether

Don't rush or do anything rash! How about trying to shake and jiggle the window back into place and 'grab' it with some sellotape. Then some PVA whilst its in the right location to secure it.

Maybe it looks different to you Pat, but it looks pretty good (and yellow! :D) from where I'm sitting. Detail (panel lines) still there, masking good. Paint looks pretty smooth. I think it will be OK.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Johnson said:

Don't rush or do anything rash! How about trying to shake and jiggle the window back into place and 'grab' it with some sellotape. Then some PVA whilst its in the right location to secure it.

👍

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Don’t knock cardboard spray booths... our Apple Mac came in a great looking box with flip top lid and I still use for my spraying. Come to think of it, I reckon I use the box more than the computer, it’s such a painful thing. 

😊