165 Caudron - Renault C635 "Simoun" ##FINISHED##

JOCKNEY

Heir to the CAUDRON RENAULT line of aircraft designed by the engineer Marcel RIFFART (victor of the DEUTSCH de la MEURTHE cups), the CAUDRON SIMOUN made its first appearance during the XIV Paris Air Show in 1934. Baptized the C 620, it was the first passenger aircraft to fly at more than 300 km/h. It was an instant success and attracted many orders. The French Air Force alone ordered 490 SIMOUN C 635s.In addition to its military missions, the SIMOUN was the star of many expeditions and many pilots - of whom St EXUPERY, Maryse BASTIE, Marcel DORET are the most famous - used it for their pre-war flight attempts. The illustration on the box shows the C635 with which Doret and Micheletti attempted the Paris-Tokyo journey in January 1937 in less than 100 hours. This attempt came very close but ultimately failed due to difficult weather conditions.

Heres the box, this is an original from 1978

IMG_5278

Heres the parts

IMG_5279

I got the kit very cheap because the decals were missing, however a fellow Britmodeller James aka @invidia came to my rescue, so I can build this one in all its stripy glory !

IMG_5280

Cheers Pat

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Excellent choice Pat, believe it or not I just received a copy of one of these kits myself... looks to be a lovely kit. I won’t build mine as yet, although might get tempted after seeing yours being assembled. Good luck with this one. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

A very attractive looking plane. Nice scheme as well.

I picked up a black box one at the Norfolk and Suffolk Air Museum a year or two ago. Cost me a whopping fiver!

https://www.aviationmuseum.net/index.html

The collector side of me won't let me build it though. It's for looking at. The builder side of me thinks I'm crazy. Don't start them off though, it can get noisy.

• Haha 1

It is an attractive aircraft and one I don't have in the Hoard in spite of the fact I've got a really nice Model Art decal sheet to use with it,  very tempting....

...good choice Pat

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

I've got a really nice Model Art decal sheet to use with it, 

I was looking at that on Hannants earlier, it's the sort of sheet that could inspire multiple purchases of the same kit, innit.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I was looking at that on Hannants earlier, it's the sort of sheet that could inspire multiple purchases of the same kit, innit.

So you're the source of the voices in my head!

Yes it is.

• Haha 3

@Wez well, it seems a shame to buy a sheet with different options and only ever do one! I've accumulated loads of part used decal sheets that will never be used. There should be a decal exchange or something. (Funnily enough, when I bought the decals for my Wessex in the summer I found there was, rather randomly, the markings for a Belgian Mirage on the same sheet that I though I would never use. Fast forward a few months... well, hello there, Heller...)

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

A very attractive looking plane. Nice scheme as well.

I picked up a black box one at the Norfolk and Suffolk Air Museum a year or two ago. Cost me a whopping fiver!

https://www.aviationmuseum.net/index.html

The collector side of me won't let me build it though. It's for looking at. The builder side of me thinks I'm crazy. Don't start them off though, it can get noisy.

Let me know if the Collector wants my first edition box of this kit, you are very welcome to it. 

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

That's very kind of you Pat, I would love the box.

It would sit very happily next to my black box issue. No rush though, sit it upright on your bench while you build yours. It will serve as first class inspiration.

This of course means I'll have to find a builder now. The thought of having both early boxes without a built model to display alongside just won't do! The recent issue isn't too hard to find so that hiccup will sort itself out soon enough.

Tony.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

This of course means I'll have to find a builder now. 

Tony, can I recommend you buy the latest box of this kit as it comes with a cracking decal sheet. I received one the other day and am torn between the yellow / red scheme and the all blue one.. hang on a sec... why not buy another kit and solve all my problems! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

Hi Pat,

this is one of Heller's best! Great choice!

The Simoun is a kit that has eluded me all my life! I guess one needs one of those to make life worth living.

You will have fun!

JR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Tony, can I recommend you buy the latest box of this kit as it comes with a cracking decal sheet. I received one the other day and am torn between the yellow / red scheme and the all blue one.. hang on a sec... why not buy another kit and solve all my problems! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Just found a copy on the internet for under a tenner delivered. Hit that button!

While I was there, a Potez 63 made me buy it. I may starve to death during the GB but if necessary I can eat the boxes.

Is it Saturday yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

@TonyW my Caudron 714 is an early box as well  :wicked:....... just asking :giggle:

Cheers Pat

I’m now confused, will Tony add that box to his model collection or the food panty for next weeks dinner! 

• Like 2

Good afternoon

I see that we are several to have a lot of Heller kits in stock and I think that the French Fancy Gb must absolutely pass the vote in the Gb Bunfight so that we can continue to build them ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 4

We might have a few of these built for this GB Tony. I’ve already sourced one and another is on its way. My GB appetite is getting a little too big for my belly! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1