AccMin/Monogram 1/48 SB2C-4 Helldiver; VB-82 on USS Bennington, April 1945

mark.au

Hello all;

Here's my just completed Helldiver.  There's a story to the paint scheme which is too long to relate here; there's a WIP thread which has most of the story and the rest can be found on my site if you're interested.  The short version is that I reckon this to be a repaint of an airframe that was originally finished in the four-colour scheme.

I must admit, the WIP itself is a bit light on detail, I need to up my game in that department!

I added a fair bit of aftermarket on this one, most notably of course the wing fold.  Almost all of it was a waste of money however, either because it wasn't much of an improvement on the kit parts or it really can't be seen.  The wing fold was excellent though, and I would recommend it.  

Overall it was a fun build, but the extras aren't usually my thing and this one reminded me why 🙂

Anyway, the pics;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Agree with all. I really need to get back to mine and figure out why I stopped the build

You must!  Can’t have too many Beasts :)

Thanks for the comments gents, the feedback is appreciated.

Cheers;

Mark

Hello Mark,

Although "The Beast" had to be handled in the air like a massive truck on a cobblestone road, it was a very effective USN plane.

Can you imagine landing on a small rolling  stamp in the ocean. The USN operated large numbers with lots of success.

Even the Royal Navy had a few from the production line. But their "Truck Drivers" had great problems with keeping them on the right track. (In flight and on the deck)

So it was never used in anger. (All knowledge from several books on the shelf.)

Your model looks very impressive.  I like the Naval aircraft with their wings folded. What a technique already in those years. A tribute to Monogram and Accurate Models. I just looked at a "Start-up" on you tube, to get the right feeling.

Lots of noise, but regrettably no smells.

Highest Regards, Orion - The Netherlands.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Although "The Beast" had to be handled in the air like a massive truck on a cobblestone road, it was a very effective USN plane.

Can you imagine landing on a small rolling  stamp in the ocean. The USN operated large numbers with lots of success.

Even the Royal Navy had a few from the production line. But their "Truck Drivers" had great problems with keeping them on the right track. (In flight and on the deck)

Hi Orion;

Thanks for the comment.  You're correct in that the -4 and -5 Helldivers were useful aircraft.  By then though, the whole concept of single-purpose dive bombers was obsolete and so the Helldiver became essentially the last of its species.  Shame, I quite like it; it's ugly and ungainly, but it has a certain something :)

Thanks too, for the other comments.

Edited by mark.au
Clarity