L252 - MiG-21 Fishbed (1973) - KIA

helios16v

Build #1 - 1/72 MiG-21 Fishbed

Original tool/boxing.  I forget how I ended up with this one, but it is the oldest kit in the stash...both in terms of possession and outright age.  The only kit I've had longer is the Academy F-8...which is currently next to the bench technically in work, therefore I don't consider it part of the stash.  There has been a little painting started...however it's incorrect for the early F-13s so it will all need to be repainted anyways.  I've got a couple little bits to dress it up, though I'm not certain on the decals yet.  I'll have to size them up, as technically the set is for the MiG-15.  I do have some Polish MiG-21 decals (from a MF) that I can rob from if need be.  Intent is to build wheels up in flight...hence the addition of the pilot (hope they fit :blink2:).

full

• Like 9

Great going Chris, nice to see another MiG being built here. Funnily enough I saw a Black Box version of this same kit at my LHS today, however not knowing too much about 21’s left it on the shelf. I’ll look forward to see this being built. 

Cheers, welcome and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Heller seemed fond of unusual colours on the missiles for their Migs - red for these AA-2 and what they say is "S-9 Bronze" for the AA-1 on my Mig 19 although they look yellow on the box top! Perhaps they were test/training rounds?

Pete

On 9/29/2020 at 10:10 AM, helios16v said:

Build #1

Original tool/boxing.  I forget how I ended up with this one, but it is the oldest kit in the stash...both in terms of possession and outright age.  The only kit I've had longer is the Academy F-8...which is currently next to the bench technically in work, therefore I don't consider it part of the stash.  There has been a little painting started...however it's incorrect for the early F-13s so it will all need to be repainted anyways.  I've got a couple little bits to dress it up, though I'm not certain on the decals yet.  I'll have to size them up, as technically the set is for the MiG-15.  I do have some Polish MiG-21 decals (from a MF) that I can rob from if need be.  Intent is to build wheels up in flight...hence the addition of the pilot (hope they fit :blink2:).

full

Could You take more detailed photos of the kit?  As far as I know, photos of this kit are rare on the Internet.  By the way, there is an opinion that either this set was originally developed in Yugoslavia or it was packaged in Yugoslavia.

23 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Chris,

Heller seemed fond of unusual colours on the missiles for their Migs - red for these AA-2 and what they say is "S-9 Bronze" for the AA-1 on my Mig 19 although they look yellow on the box top! Perhaps they were test/training rounds?

Pete

Yes, Pete mockup or dummy don't remember  exactly.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Could You take more detailed photos of the kit?  As far as I know, photos of this kit are rare on the Internet.  By the way, there is an opinion that either this set was originally developed in Yugoslavia or it was packaged in Yugoslavia.

I'll make a note to try to get some for you before I tear into it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Serge,

Thanks for that - I suspected as much! From what I have read in Yefim Gordon's book , they could have been dummies, inert but real missiles, or test rounds, and my AA-1 should be "silver" when in operational use, though I have no idea if they are meant to be the RS-1-U, RS-2-U or RS-2-US version, as the Mig 19PM seems to have used all three.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

• 3 weeks later...
  • helios16v changed the title to L252 - MiG-21 Fishbed (1973) - KIA

Well, I went and done it good this time.  In an attempt to straighten out the rear fuselage on 1 half, I managed to warp and mangle it past the point of return.  :doh:

She dead Jim.  

Some of the bits have been squirreled away for potential spares/kitbash parts.  Fuselage components have been scrapped.

I guess this means the Super Etendard moves up in the que.

• Sad 3