1/32 scale kits - RAF

Jeff G

Hey all, after viewing so many impressive kits by you lot, I’ve been inspired. I’m looking into expanding my collection to include 1/32 scale kits of the RAF. What are kits you would recommend? All single and twin engine aircraft welcome! I’d love to hear your thoughts. 

Jeff

G’day Jeff

Italeri do a boxing of their Sabre with RAF markings

Revell do a very nice Hunter , as well as a Tornado

italeri are about to release a tornado GR4

Trumpeter do a Eurofighter, although I’ve heard it’s of questionable accuracy for a RAF one 

these are off the top of my head. I’m sure others will be along with a more exhaustive list 

Bruce 

• Thanks 1

Tamiya's gorgeous P-51D, Spitfires and Mosquito.

HKM's Mosquitos - single- and two-stage Merlins.

HKM Lancaster (OK, not single or twin, but RAF).

HKM Meteor F.4

Revell Beaufighter - no longer state-of-the-art, but the only game in town.

Matchbox/Revell Spitfire 22 - again, not state-of-the-art, but the only game in town.

Can't think of any more at the moment, but will come back and add them if I do.

• Thanks 1

Hi

the hopefully soon to be released 

special hobby 1:32 westland whirlwind

( progress details are in the rumourmonger thread ) 

1:32 revell hawker typhoon

1:32 special hobby? tempest 

1:32 matchbox lysander 

cheers

jerry

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

the hopefully soon to be released 

special hobby 1:32 westland whirlwind

1:32 special hobby? tempest 

cheers

jerry

Yes, I'm looking forward to the Whirlwind.

Jerry, you're correct that the Tempest is SH: in fact they do separate kits of all three major marks (II, V and VI) and you can also find their Mk V in a Revell box.

And talking of Special Hobby, you can find RAF boxings of their 1/32 Buffalo and P-36 (as a Mohawk IV); I also think there was an RAF boxing of their P-39 Airacobra.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1

And I've just remembered: Infinity Models (a new venture by HpH doing injection-moulded kits) have announced a pair of Vampires, Mk 3 and Mk 5.  If you can find a Matchbox or Revell Sea Venom, you can do a Venom NF3 from the box.

Trumpeters Lightning’s - both of them and the Echelon one if you can find one and have deep pockets

Revell are re-releasing their old Harrier 1, Trumpeter do a late mark Harrier

How far back do you want to go?

There are numerous inter war types available as well as WW1. Tiger Moth trainer for example

Also worth noting that a lot of the older more ropey kits such as the Matchbox/ Revell Spitfire have good correction sets from several suppliers such as Grey Matter Figures. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, hadn't even known half of these kits existed. I'd probably only go as far back as 1935 or 1936, late pre-war. I had originally only intended on WWII but my goodness, some of these cold war aircraft in 32nd scale are gorgeous. 

Matchbox/Revell Puma Helicopter

Special Hobby Mohawk VI

Revell Eurofighter

Tamiya Spitfire IXc & VIII

Matchbox/Revell Venom NF3

Academy Sopwith Camel

Revell N.A. Mustang III

Revell Mosquito

Revell Spitfire IIa

Revell Hurricane

Hasegawa Spitfire IV

Hong Kong Models Meteor IV 

Kinetic F-86 Sabre

• Thanks 1

Here's a couple more. 

Fly Models

- Hurricane I, II, IV

Pacific Coast Models (PCM) 

- Hurricane I both metal wing and fabric wing

- Spitfire XIV

Iconicair

- Spiteful

Trumpeter

- Mustang III

- P-47D

- P-40 B/C

Hasegawa

- P-47D

- P-40E

• Thanks 1

If by some miracle you can track down one of the 24 produced, there is also a resin 1/32 Buccaneer from IFA. One has appeared on eBay and did go for around the original purchase price - I already have one (No.24) so left it, although it would have been nice to have two!

Although not doing another run of the Bucc, IFA are doing a Jag and Brit Phantom in 1/32 

Cheers,

WV908

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2020 at 16:58, 11bravo said:

I'm halfway through Tamiya's Mosquito FB.VI.  I'm going to go out on a limb and state that this kit is the finest aircraft model ever made.    Just amazing how high the quality is on this kit.   

Well this certainly grabs one's attention! Do you have a WIP on the go? Can't wait to see your work!

5 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Well this certainly grabs one's attention! Do you have a WIP on the go? Can't wait to see your work!

John has a WIP on LSP and I think it's on here too. 

Jeff, the Tamiya Mossies are a superlative kit. I've built one so far, mostly OOB. The kit details are very nice except for possibly the ammo feed belts on the guns. They sort of left out the bullets in those. Barracudacast makes replacements in resin. 

Other than that, get the Master brass gun barrels, some fabric seat belts and you're good to go. 

Carl

Edited by FG2Si

19 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Here's the link to the build on LSP.  https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/83901-a-separate-little-war-strike-wing-mosquito-fbvi/

I regret not posting this here on BM, I was new to the site when I started this and was somewhat under the impression that this was a more 72nd centric site.     Hope you enjoy the build, it's not up to the standards of the rest of LSP but I'm having a great deal of fun and learning so much about the Mosquito.   What an amazing aircraft. 

• Like 1