Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle

One of the trickier parts of the model is representing the thermal blankets on parts of the orbiter.  I've seen a video using medical tape and styrene strip to represent them so thought I'd give this a try on some scrap plastic before I commit to the orbiter.

Styrene strip (.25mm * .5mm) is down:

IMG_2335-rotated.jpeg

Medical tape down, it was at this point I realised that the tape I'd bought had the wrong texture:

IMG_2336-rotated.jpeg

But I gave it a coat of paint to see what it looked like:

IMG_2337-rotated.jpeg

Conclusions are that the process itself is straightforward and I'll stick with it but I need different tape that has a different texture and is a bit thicker so that the underlying strips are bit less obvious.

You live and learn...

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, johndon said:

You live an learn..

...still, John, pretty good for 1/72.  Think I might have seen that video.  I had some of that tape but thought it a bit much for 1:144.

Dennis

Cheers Dennis.  Having re-watched the video, I've managed to order some of the exact tape that was used.  When it arrives, I'll give it another go on scrap first and then start on the tail fin...

John

• 2 weeks later...

The alternative tape for the thermal blankets arrived today so I've had a quick go and the results are far more promising although the test has highlights the need to make sure the surface of the model is completely clean before adding the tape.  When looked at with the naked eye, the texture is far more subtle than it appears in the photo:

IMG_2377.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, johndon said:

results are far more promising

I think so as well.  Next photo can you put something down for scale.  Scalpel blade maybe?

Dennis

• 8 months later...

After 7 months away from this model, I came back to it yesterday and was going to start on the cockpit windows.  Back in October last year, I ordered a set of windows from Accurate Model Parts in Australia:

https://amp.rokket.biz/am_shuttle_win.shtml

They arrived and were put away with the decals that I'd already bought ready for use.  Came back to them yesterday and noticed that, unfortunately, some of the window masks were missing.  Dropped them an email last night detailing the situation but, as I'd bought 9 months I wasn't holding out much hope.  Woke up this morning to a reply where they apologised and offered to send a new set on Monday.

So, just wanted to acknowledge their excellent customer service and, as soon as the replacements arrive, I'll crack on with this.

John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johndon said:

After 7 months away from this model, I came back to it yesterday and was going to start on the cockpit windows.  Back in October last year, I ordered a set of windows from Accurate Model Parts in Australia:

https://amp.rokket.biz/am_shuttle_win.shtml

They arrived and were put away with the decals that I'd already bought ready for use.  Came back to them yesterday and noticed that, unfortunately, some of the window masks were missing.  Dropped them an email last night detailing the situation but, as I'd bought 9 months I wasn't holding out much hope.  Woke up this morning to a reply where they apologised and offered to send a new set on Monday.

So, just wanted to acknowledge their excellent customer service and, as soon as the replacements arrive, I'll crack on with this.

John

I'll be soon buying the same windows for my upcoming (don't know when) Monogram Stack. Did you pay for the tracking as it recommends or just normal postage? 

I lookforward to seeing how they come together 

With thanks 

28 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

I'll be soon buying the same windows for my upcoming (don't know when) Monogram Stack. Did you pay for the tracking as it recommends or just normal postage? 

I lookforward to seeing how they come together 

With thanks 

I paid for the tracking.  They did take quite a while to arrive but the tracking did at least prove that was nothing to do with AMP but down to the postal service.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Replacement cockpit windows arrived from AMP at the weekend only 3 weeks after I contacted them, pretty good going given that they are on the other side of the world.  Once again, I have to say how impressed I've been with their level of customer service. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 10:48, johndon said:

Replacement cockpit windows arrived from AMP at the weekend only 3 weeks after I contacted them, pretty good going given that they are on the other side of the world.  Once again, I have to say how impressed I've been with their level of customer service. 👍

I have since noticed they have stopped shipping to the UK and Europe due to VAT, tax ETC, all is explained on their site :(

until they find a UK/European distributor I'm screwed lol

I am considering asking for help from a random kind person who lives outside of our area lol :)

• 6 months later...

After 6 months away, I've finally pulled the shuttle out of the cupboard and started work again.

A lot of work required to get the payload bay doors to fit which were too short and to thick in a couple of places but I'm almost there, the won't be glued on until I get the cockpit fitted, the cockpit windows installed and the main landing gear as you need access to the interior of the model to fit one side of the undercarriage bays:

IMG_3326.jpg

also made a start on the strip framework for the medical tape that will represent the thermal blankets.  As I'm doing the model as a what if based on the Enterprise having made it to launch and as all the other shuttles had different patterns or blankets which also varied over time even on the same shuttle, I'm not too concerned if the blankets done match any of the other shuttles although they will be in the relevant locations.

IMG_3327.jpg

Video here showing the method I'm using for the blankets:

• Like 5

And the first of the blankets are on.  Need to buff them down a little more and, as always, the camera has highlighted a couple of bits that need tidying up but I'm happy with the effect...

IMG_3328.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work on the shuttle tail with the installation of the decals.

I'm going to say that it is OK.  Despite sealing the tape with some glue and it now having three coats of paint over it, it has proved very difficult to maintain a very sharp edge to it.  I also wish I'd painted white there the tile decals go...

IMG_3339.jpg

• Like 4

I am in the middle of a 1/144 revel build and following primed model works (?) I got the medical tape (insulation) as well. Probably not ideal for 1/144 but lets see. I have build the Mobile/Fixed support structure and lighted it. Build the boosters and tank.... just the shuttle to finish now.

Wow it looks big in 1/72!

Awesome model!

• Like 1