Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle

It has been a very long time since I posted on here, all my modelling in the last 3-4 years has been railway related.  However, last week I as inspired to dig out an old Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle that I bought years ago and got no further than gluing the halves of the tail fin together.  Having dug it out, I ordered some decals from eBay and was ready to start.

As is often the case these days, I've found a series of videos covering the building of the same kit I have and using the same decals I've just ordered on YouTube.

Parts taped together:

spacer.png

Work has started on gluing the parts together and filling and sanding. I've built an internal support structure to keep the sides straight and I've added support along both sides for the payload bay doors which, whilst not a perfect fit, certainly fit much better than they did before although they are about 1.5mm too short so that needs to be sorted out. 

spacer.png

One thing I do need to think about is the cockpit windows. They are too big so I need to decide whether to keep them as they are or correct them. Keeping them as they are would obviously be easier and the decals I've ordered are sized for the windows as they come in the kit.

I've also yet to decide which shuttle to do the model as.  When I bough the kit, I had plans to make models of all the Enterprises from Star Trek so I'm tempted to go with a 'what if' and assume that the Enterprise Shuttle made it in to orbit.

Lots more filling and sanding to go...

John

• Like 12

I've started on the filling of the engraved lines and details using a new technique to me that I found on YouTube, using a mix of superglue and Ammo Mig Gun Metal Pigment and what a revelation it has been to the point where I don't see me ever using another method again.  What you see below took only five minutes from starting to apply the filler mix, a squirt of zip kicker and sanding back.

IMG_2297.jpeg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 12

Cockpit is done.  I did look at a super detail kit that is available but decided against it.  I'll be the first to admit, it is rather rough but, as it can barely be seen with the windows in, I really didn't want to spend too much time on it.

IMG_2302.jpeg

Held in place without the windows and you can already see how little can be seen:

IMG_2300.jpeg

And even less can be seen with the windows in place and even less will be seen once the bulkhead is in behind the cockpit and if I decide it is worth the effort to reduce the windows to their correct size...

IMG_2301.jpeg

and current progress on the shuttle itself, getting the bottom completely smooth across the wing roots has meant a lot of filling and sanding but it is almost there...

IMG_2299.jpeg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 9

As I'm modelling the shuttle wheels down, I've been test fitting the undercarriage.  The design of the wheel bays and undercarriage legs mean that the bay sides have to be fitted before the payload bay doors are fitted and then the legs also have to be fitted so everything needs to be spot on before the fuselage closed up.  I'd prefer not to have to do it this way as I can almost guarantee I'll snap one of the legs off while working on the rest of the body.  I've had to add strips of styrene as the holes in the bottom of the wings didn't match up with the bay openings and the nose bay is smaller than the hole so that will need some work as well...

IMG_2321.jpeg

John

• Like 10

I've never been the fastest modeller but I am making progress.  First up the landing gear, I'm going to add some of the wires that were on the struts and I'll probably give it a light wash but, as the gear was generally very clean, that'll be it:

spacer.png

Payload bay doors are having all the holes that were there for the working hinges filled.  Filled mainly with small bits of plastic strip with the super glue/pigment mix to finish:

spacer.png

And I've slapped some paint on the nose section to see how well all of the filling of the panel lines and the thrusters had gone.  Over all, not too bad but a few places need a bit more filler:

spacer.png

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 9

Looks like you have a bit of modeling to do there. I think improving a model using your own skills is very rewarding. If I might suggest, Monogram have made it easier for you by molding that cockpit as they have. It would be quite easy to blend them into the airframe, polishing it all up and repainting the windows to a more accurate size and shape. 

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britman said:

It would be quite easy to blend them into the airframe, polishing it all up and repainting the windows to a more accurate size and shape. 

That's the plan...

14 minutes ago, Britman said:

Sorry if that sounded like sucking eggs! Everyone has an idea how to go about their modeling and I have picked up a few ideas on this site over the years. Looking forward to more progress.

Keith

Not at all.  To be honest I've spent a lot of time agonising over the windows and whether to leave them or not but I think, given that I'm going for the full detail of all the decals, I really should try to get them right.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Nice to see a 1:72 Shuttle build here. Not sure if this will help with your window issue:

https://amp.rokket.biz/am_shuttle_win.shtml

I bought the set years ago but did not start the build yet. They do look very nice though and are not too expensive IMHO.

Regarding your Enterprise plan - this ship was never meant to go to space and so was not constructed this way. If ever there would be a Space Shuttle go to space with the name "Enterprise" it would have been a completely different Orbiter. I am not telling you to abandon your idea, just want to let you know in case this would put you off. I personally found it nice to have a Space Shuttle called "Enterprise"  but always found it a bit sad that this special Shuttle was no "spaceship".

If you want to have a very nice relication of the black heat shield, try to get the tile decals from Keith McNeill.

Will follow with interest.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the windows, certainly looks like they would do the job and far better than I could hope to, may well order a set.

As for the Enterprise, as a life long Trek fan, I always thought it a shame that the campaign to get NASA to name a shuttle Enterprise worked so well that they named the first one rather than one of the ones that made it to space.  I'm going with a bit of alternative history and assuming that the Enterprise was built as one of the space bound orbiters.  It also means that if I get any of the tiles wrong (I've got a set coming for both the tiles and the other markings from Warbird Decals), no one can say it's wrong :) I also need to order a set of Real Space engine bells (I always intended to do this and threw the kit ones away years ago) although when I checked last week although the kit is well priced at $20, the shipping was $64!!!

John

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice to see a 1:72 Shuttle build here. Not sure if this will help with your window issue:

https://amp.rokket.biz/am_shuttle_win.shtml

I bought the set years ago but did not start the build yet. They do look very nice though and are not too expensive IMHO.

Well, that didn't take long, just ordered a set, thanks again for the link.

John

On 9/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, johndon said:

..... a new technique to me that I found on eBay, using a mix of superglue and Ammo Mig Gun Metal Pigment and what a revelation it has been to the point where I don't see me ever using another method again....

I haven't heard of that technique......could you fill me in please? (🤣🤣) no, seriously, what is it and how do you do it?

Cheers. 

Just looked at my original post and that should, of course, have said YouTube, not eBay 🙄

Have a watch of this which is where I got it from:

Edited by johndon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The battle with the bad fitting continues, this time with the payload bay doors.  Clearly, they were ever really designed to be modelled closed as, not only do you have the two completely made up 'catches' at each end, the doors don't sit squarely in the opening and the panel lines aren't even close to lining up, lots more styrene strip and sanding required.  I also discovered yesterday that the hole in the bottom of the orbiter for the nose gear bay is too large so that has been reduced all round with more plastic strip.

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 7

Hi,

Am enjoying following your build and shamelessly borrowing anything that I might be able to use on my 1:144 one.  Mine is one half of the Revell SCA/Shuttle boxing (first issue).  Building it as STS-1 in mind but that is subject to change.

Received the Revell Atlantis in the post this morning.  Orbiter is the same but the cargo bay is highly detailed and crying out for more and there is an expanded decal set.  Eager to get started but the 747 (BA) comes first.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Cheers Dennis, part of me is thinking of doing this all again with the full stack with the boosters but, I've just been stung with a £28 customs charge for the decals I ordered!

John

1 hour ago, johndon said:

a £28 customs charge for the decals I ordered!

Yikes! I have decals coming from the US but price was only £20 including postage.  Now I’m wondering about customs charges.  I have noticed 1/72 Shuttle decals can be a bit pricey.  

Dennis

Decals arrived this morning, 5 sheets of A4 that should be fun to put down.

Held together by tape and a prayer, I've been making sure that the landing gear lines up and that all six wheels are on the ground.  She's a big bird, 1/72 MIG 15 for scale (built for my grandaughter a few years ago and part of the Hello Kitty Air Force, hence the colour scheme):

IMG_2333.jpeg

• Like 9

As a distraction from filling and sanding badly fitted parts, attention has moved to the tail fin.  Basic layer of black has been added but a lot of this will be covered with decals and the thermal blankets need to go on as well but I figured, as the tail can be worked on completely seperately from the rest of the orbiter it was good to practice on to see how the decals go.  As I'm doing a 'what if' Enterprise, the black isn't based on any particualr shuttle although the top of the fin will closely match Columbia towards the end of her career apart from the camera pod...

IMG_2334.jpeg

• Like 5