F4U Recon

Finn

Oddly enough l just happened to be looking through my F4U book, as you do when I logged onto Britmodeller to see  this. I went to the relevant chapter and I can tell you that the curved half oblong line around the hatch was a wind deflector to prevent oil etc from obscuring the lens when it was open. Also the remote  indicating compass was mounted on the fin in a bullet shaped housing.

The -5P like the -4P was actually armed apparently. Taking strike and post strike photos. Unlike the Tigercat.

A recce F4U-5P would make a interesting and different Corsair subject. Not difficult either.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 4

Can the Monogram/Promodeler 1/48 F4U-5N kit be used as a good starting point for an accurate F4U-5P Corsair?

What major work/corrections need to be done to it, other than deleting the night fighter equipment & guns and adding the camera ports?

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Can the Monogram/Promodeler 1/48 F4U-5N kit be used as a good starting point for an accurate F4U-5P Corsair?

Larry,

Not my scale, but from I recall reading, the Hasegawa F4U-5 is regarded as the most accurate in 1/48 scale. IIRC, both the Monogram/Promodeler and Revell F4U-5's are reboxed Hasegawa kits, so in effect all three are the same molds. The Promodeler boxing might have a better cockpit, but aftermarket resin cockpits should take care of that. You might also want to look at resin props and wheels, especially for the  wheel and tire tread type used on the one you want to model. Using the info generously posted by @Tailspin Turtle, you should have a good handle on the exterior features that need to be added, some that I can think of being:

remove the suppressed exhausts if the kit you are using is a -5P (Not sure about this- check photos)

add the remote indicating compass blister on the RH side of the fin

add the camera port and oil deflector fairing

remove the radome and flash suppressors from the 4 20mm cannon (Not sure about this off the top of my head

make sure the R-2800 is a C-series with the cylindrical crankcase with reinforcing bolts

Mike

Some good references would be:

Detail in Scale

Sq/Signal In Action

Warbird Tech

Aero Details

Modellers Datafile

FAOW, new series

Kagero monograph

Vought Heritage website https://www.vought.org/

Edited by 72modeler
added text, added link

Thanks Mike, for the info and the list of references. I have most of those and more, on my hard drive. The only one I am missing is the Aero Details book on the F4U Corsair (Book 25). I will compare the info from them all, especially the scale drawings, to figure out my needed changes. I think the kit has the proper R-2800 engine you are talking about.

Larry